What's new

EBAY DIGEST: Interesting Shaving Related Recent Sales Recap

All I can say is "Dang"!

It looks like one of our guys has it coming home to him. It is a shame the guard is damaged.

I placed a bid myself. I know some may disagree but thought if I landed it, I’d take it to a local jeweler I know for repair. The jeweler that has helped with rings for my wife and I is skilled with metal work of all kinds. Like she is the best I’ve seen. She could have easily fashioned a new tooth in silver and straightened out anything else. Again, I know it should be kept the way it is, but silver isn’t hard for a jeweler to work with and I would have restored it.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I placed a bid myself. I know some may disagree but thought if I landed it, I’d take it to a local jeweler I know for repair. The jeweler that has helped with rings for my wife and I is skilled with metal work of all kinds. Like she is the best I’ve seen. She could have easily fashioned a new tooth in silver and straightened out anything else. Again, I know it should be kept the way it is, but silver isn’t hard for a jeweler to work with and I would have restored it.
I agree to the repair. I was wondering if whoever won it would fix it.

Since the link eventually goes dead, here are some of the specifics:
sterling silver Aristocrat-1a.jpg

sterling silver Aristocrat-1b.jpg

Serial #C804744, is stamped sterling LVN with hallmarks, and is monogrammed on bottom knob of razor.
$325

I do hope none of our guys bought this:
It looks mis-matched. The cap doesn’t go with the comb(I hoped it is at least a Thin Cap). Likely worth the roll of the dice at the opening bid, it leave a safe gamble pretty quickly.
It’s puzzling why and how this seller continues to complete sales without full disclosure.

FarmerTan

I do hope none of our guys bought this:
It looks mis-matched. The cap doesn’t go with the comb(I hoped it is at least a Thin Cap). Likely worth the roll of the dice at the opening bid, it leave a safe gamble pretty quickly.
It’s puzzling why and how this seller continues to complete sales without full disclosure.
Buyer beware, unfortunately.

I hope the seller ain't one of us....

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Wow, this may be a record for a standard Fatboy. Hope it wasn't someone here.
Non-matching blades but at least it's "Shave Ready"!

FarmerTan

what is the result of bots....are they employed just to drive up the bidding?
what does the seller do once they auction has ended and a bot has won?
They would still be billed by eBay for selling and commission...right?
Good question.

I saw this and a couple other sky high prices on fatboys. Wondered what I was missing lol. I also picked up a red Enders Speed razor, breaking my sabbatical. I at least avoided being a sniper in a last ditch effort to stay in sabbatical. I was the second bidder with a couple minutes left.

Woah! And I have given away several in PIFs. Maybe I should hoard them now? :)

eBay has pissed me off lately with stuff like this, I lost a bid recently that I watched end. The bid history showed three bids all several seconds apart, from two other people that appeared afterwards.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Can somebody please explain the use of ebay "bots" to me? Never heard of it, and wonder why. I've used and sold on the site for years and it appears to me these are simply the bids of an inexperienced and overly enthusiastic newbie eBayer @OhioBob and @carluchi

But if bots will use PayPal and I get my payment more power to them, I've got a couple cased Fatties for them!

I do not think its an actual bot in the sense of being a machine, but some sellers will open accounts that are used to help drive up the bidding especially on items that are popular.

For this item, there were two accounts that kept outbidding each other and they both had very similar masked names. I wonder if someone realized a seller bot was at play and opened a new account with the purpose of driving the selling price up and sticking the seller with a nice fee.

Edited to correct spelling

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Seems a bit ridiculous, $285 for a nice cased Red Tip. Highest I've sold one for was about sixty.

It is very clean -- I will admit -- but still.

Top Bottom