What's new

EBAY DIGEST: Interesting Shaving Related Recent Sales Recap

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I guess Diplomat cases are highly desirable. Sales on black-handled Super Speeds (all SS) are flat right now, nothing deceptive in the listing or title, so it must be the presentation box that took this just south of $100

1606588345137.png

Something I'm not seeing?

R

romsitsa

A seemingly matching Tiffany from the 30ies-40ies.
Or the SC head was an upgrade to the original set.

A seemingly matching Tiffany from the 30ies-40ies.
Or the SC head was an upgrade to the original set.
I'm pretty sure it doesn't match. I think you are correct that the head on the recently sold one was a replacement. Afaik the originals came with a silver (plated) head with the S suffix after the serial number like this one I lucked up on a while back.

The original set handle has a sterling stamp on the bottom. Seems a large sum for a genuine Gillette Tiffany Travel set case and perhaps a legit handle.
IMG_0280.jpg
IMG_0277.jpg

Everything is hallmarked or stamped sterling except the cap. This set apparently fell out of the owners pocket and was stepped on. Not too bad but it bugs me so I'm considering taking it to a jeweler to let them take out the dent.

Last edited:
R

romsitsa

To be honest I doubt that Tiffany sets had solid silver/gold heads, neither the old type nor New improved (I saw) has a hallmark, wich was obligatory for silver and gold.
The SC head is silver plated brass, the colour is a dead giveaway.
Your case looks nice as is, it has character, imho.

To be honest I doubt that Tiffany sets had solid silver/gold heads, neither the old type nor New improved (I saw) has a hallmark, wich was obligatory for silver and gold.
The SC head is silver plated brass, the colour is a dead giveaway.
Your case looks nice as is, it has character, imho.
Look closely and you can see some sort of pattern that was ground into the case. Very regular. I wonder what it could be?

Also from Shaveopedia : Letter S after the serial number indicates "sterling silver plated", right you are.

R

romsitsa

Iirc Krumholz wrote about S standing for sterling silver, but I don’t know of any Ni head with a hallmark. S for silver plate is also problematic, as there are gold plated heads with S.

The pattern on your case? It looks to be hammered (it’s actually hammered with a ball point hammer).

Iirc Krumholz wrote about S standing for sterling silver, but I don’t know of any Ni head with a hallmark. S for silver plate is also problematic, as there are gold plated heads with S.

The pattern on your case? It looks to be hammered (it’s actually hammered with a ball point hammer).
I also saw the notation by Krumholz. I'm curious about the head so will ask the jeweler if he can perform a nondestructive test. Don't want to damage it.

re. the hammered finish: I can't imagine trying to achieve that myself.

The pattern of scratches/marks I was referring to:
IMG_0280 detail.jpg

The cap is on backwards so you can't see it but the marks continue onto the cap. Pliers? Whatever made the marks it is worn smooth.

Last edited:
There’s clearly a weave pattern in those marks. What a mystery. They look as if the case was left partially in contact with rumpled burlap over a long time, and there was something in the environment to etch the surface where the fibres were in contact.

So many possibilities! Did you buy it from grave robbers?:001_rolle

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Documenting this in here for future reference. Wow.

Correct bottom dial case, too!

Winning bid:
US $5,350.56

[ 39 bids ]

1617893848767.png
1617894025224.png

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Documenting this in here for future reference. Wow.

Correct bottom dial case, too!

Winning bid:
US $5,350.56

[ 39 bids ]

View attachment 1248435
View attachment 1248437

Wow, Doug. I wonder if the guy knew exactly what he had.

KeenDogg

Apparently he had no idea. I'll bet he was very surprised at what the razor set sold for and will be looking out for more vintage shaving related items in the future.
Looks like he had knowledge of it being different than the rest but that seems to be it. He's definitely going to be in the hunt now. Sadly, that was most like his finest score!

Looks like he had knowledge of it being different than the rest but that seems to be it. He's definitely going to be in the hunt now. Sadly, that was most like his finest score!
re. the Bottom Dial with correct box, papers, blades, etc. I was curious so messaged the seller to ask if he had any idea what he had:

"No idea that it was worth that much. I'm not a collector but knew that people did collect old vintage razors. I found it in an abandoned house in Jacksonville Fl.., inside an old trunk. I feel like Charlie finding that Golden ticket to the Chocolate Factory, lol..."

So basically a valuable piece of property was in someone's currently unoccupied house, the seller went in and pretty much stole it. Call it what you will an unoccupied house is not abandoned, someone owns it even if it is the bank. Someone owned the trunk and property inside it. You can't just walk into an unoccupied house and take what you want. I did not chastise the seller but he was trespassing and taking anything out of the house was theft pure and simple. Puts a negative spin on the sellers' supposed "windfall".

KeenDogg

re. the Bottom Dial with correct box, papers, blades, etc. I was curious so messaged the seller to ask if he had any idea what he had:

"No idea that it was worth that much. I'm not a collector but knew that people did collect old vintage razors. I found it in an abandoned house in Jacksonville Fl.., inside an old trunk. I feel like Charlie finding that Golden ticket to the Chocolate Factory, lol..."

So basically a valuable piece of property was in someone's currently unoccupied house, the seller went in and pretty much stole it. Call it what you will an unoccupied house is not abandoned, someone owns it even if it is the bank. Someone owned the trunk and property inside it. You can't just walk into an unoccupied house and take what you want. I did not chastise the seller but he was trespassing and taking anything out of the house was theft pure and simple. Puts a negative spin on the sellers' supposed "windfall".
That sounds strange to say the least. If he got it by nefarious means, he will reap what he sows. He wasn't one of those Estate cleaners by chance, was he?

.... He wasn't one of those Estate cleaners by chance, was he?

That was my thought intially as well. I have friends who do something similar on the side with house flippers / contractors with instructions to throw everything in the dumpster and keep whatever you want.

That sounds strange to say the least. If he got it by nefarious means, he will reap what he sows. He wasn't one of those Estate cleaners by chance, was he?
I have heard of people who roam around looking for seemingly abandoned homes to "treasure hunt". It is illegal. If the person was under hire to clean out the house that is one thing but this sounds like theft of property and whoever bought it may be in trouble also for buying the set. At the least they could be out every penny of what they paid if the owner steps up and claims it. No one leaves a trunk full of property behind after a foreclosure or a move. Sounds fishy to me.

KeenDogg

I have heard of people who roam around looking for seemingly abandoned homes to "treasure hunt". It is illegal. If the person was under hire to clean out the house that is one thing but this sounds like theft of property and whoever bought it may be in trouble also for buying the set. At the least they could be out every penny of what they paid if the owner steps up and claims it. Sounds fishy to me.
I agree with you, 100 pct.

I have heard of people who roam around looking for seemingly abandoned homes to "treasure hunt". It is illegal. If the person was under hire to clean out the house that is one thing but this sounds like theft of property and whoever bought it may be in trouble also for buying the set. At the least they could be out every penny of what they paid if the owner steps up and claims it. No one leaves a trunk full of property behind after a foreclosure or a move. Sounds fishy to me.
Definitely this is stolen property. Unfortunately the true owner of the razor will most likely never will be able to reclaim their property.

Top Bottom