What's new

Do you still have or use your first Shaving Brush

I followed the advice of B&B and started with an Edwin Jagger Best Badger. After a year, I bought an synthetic I used for three years. Then I bought a boar brush, then a few others. Now I rotate them all, using each for a week. I like them all. But B&B was right, the EJ BB is a hard brush to beat.

I do - mostly use that Vulfix (about 15 years old) for travel / times I pack the Proraso tube. Was frustrated using it with the soaps I started to favor (Vulfis was just too floppy), bought a SOC Badger with quite a bit more backbone which has been my daily use brush ever since.

I have and used my father's brush that he had back in the day......the 1950's. I believe he might have gotten it when he was in the Army Air Corps during WWII. It's a Ever-Ready 150. I have retired it and use a badger from Wet Shaving Products now.

My first one was an omega synthetic and I don't think I'll ever touch it again. Ever.

I am however still using the first 2 boars I acquired in august.

What was your first brush or brushes and do you still have or use the brush or brushes?

In high school (New York), I worked 2 evenings a week delivering for a Fuller Brush salesman, so my first brush was a Fuller brush Boar which cost me $1.25. I do not' have that brush any longer but I do have my first badger from Macy's that was around 1964 and a few others a Simpson 1970's and a GEO. F Trumpers 1990's.

L-R Macy's 22, Simpson 23, Trumpers 24 (knot size)View attachment 929706 View attachment 929707
It was a Wahl boar brush, because of misuse had to toss it! Started losing hair like crazy.

Wilkinson Sword boar brush. I have it since I was 13, still use it to clean my electric hair trimmer. Knot is far too gone to be used for shaving.

Like on the photo but without the fake silvertip dye.
proxy.php

My first shaving brush; an Ever-Ready #750. Given to me by my father more than 55 years ago when I was 15 years old. I restored the brush and replaced the original knot (it was completely gone) with a 21 mm Premium Silvertip from TGN and set at 50 mm loft. I have several other vintage and modern brushes but this one is my favorite.
IMG_1771.JPG

My first brush? No. It was in the Van Der Hagen premium shave set, their boar brush, maybe around 2011. It was my first time brushing on the lather, and I liked doing that, but I didn't much like that brush - it kept losing hair and went to the trash maybe 6 months after I first got it. It was replaced with an Edwin Jagger best badger I bought at Duluth Trading, and I've been using that ever since because it just does what I want every single time.

I've only bought one other brush, which is a VDH badger brush I found last year at TJMaxx for $6. I've only used that a couple of times and it's okay. I'll probably bring it along for traveling because I won't miss it if something happens to it. But the EJ will be my daily for as long as it lasts.

Still have my VDH Boar and I don’t use it anymore. It’s not a very good brush, it never broke in and it wasn’t for lack of use as I used it a lot before I got my first “real” brush. I look at it and it makes me sad that it’s ignored. Maybe I will pull it out for old times sake.

My first shaving brush; an Ever-Ready #750. Given to me by my father more than 55 years ago when I was 15 years old. I restored the brush and replaced the original knot (it was completely gone) with a 21 mm Premium Silvertip from TGN and set at 50 mm loft. I have several other vintage and modern brushes but this one is my favorite.
View attachment 954868

Absolutely gorgeous.

Got a badger Van Der Hagen in a deluxe set as a start up. Not a good brush at all. Way too big of a knot, the hair smelled forever, it constantly sheds hairs, and it is very rough feeling compared to my best badger brush. I'll never use it again. My second brush, an Omega boar, is however quite fantastic and still one of my favs if not my all time favorite for the amount of backbone it has.

My first one was a boar Omega Pro 49 in red, used daily for almost a year so it became very well broke in, then I repurposed the knot to a Razorock 400 for when I want to bowl lather.
rau9063_44460180_1942667579120862_3176571143423537776_n.jpg

This is my first brush, which I still have but not use. I got it from eBay for cheap just to try and see if I like this kind of shaving. It's called "The Bluebeards Revenge Doubloon".
The Bluebeards Revenge “Doubloon” Bristle Shaving Brush.jpg

Top Bottom