What's new

Do you still have or use your first Shaving Brush

What was your first brush or brushes and do you still have or use the brush or brushes?

In high school (New York), I worked 2 evenings a week delivering for a Fuller Brush salesman, so my first brush was a Fuller brush Boar which cost me $1.25. I do not' have that brush any longer but I do have my first badger from Macy's that was around 1964 and a few others a Simpson 1970's and a GEO. F Trumpers 1990's.

L-R Macy's 22, Simpson 23, Trumpers 24 (knot size)
Vintage.jpg
Vintage Macy's  3.jpg

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
yes, and no. Have it still, but do not use it any longer, just a piece to remember. Was the first brush I made.

I have mine, but I don’t use it, at least not for shaving. I have been using the boar hair for tying trout flies.

yes, and no. Have it still, but do not use it any longer, just a piece to remember. Was the first brush I made.
Hello Rudy

Thank you for all the wonderful work you have done for me throughout these years.
Steven Toushin

Only been using a brush about 7 years, no where near your 50+ years! My first brush was a Parker Silvertip Badger, it worked great for a beginner, but it was way too floppy to use for daily face lathering. It was given to my wife, she loves it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I received a C & E Boar brush as a gift back in the mid 90's and still drag it out once in a while.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Mine's long gone, lost in the seventies and forgotten.

Nice save on your oldies!!

My first brush was a cheapie from a local drug store. It lasted from 1956 until about 1993 when I replaced it with a brush from Hoffritz. I still have the Hoffritz brush, however.
full

Mine was a cheap badger I got at a drugstore. I used it on and off (I used canned goop also). The knot fell out one day. I glued it back in but soon got a new brush when I discovered this forum.

Yes.

It is just a cheap Wilki similar to the one pictured bellow. I now use it as a small duster for car vents and such.

upload_2018-11-22_12-24-13.jpeg

Mine is long gone. It was a cheap little The Body Shop synthetic brush.

Same here. From the early 90's upon temporarily trying soaps and brushes. It shed like crazy so lost a lot of density and I wound up throwing it out this year. That said, I did use it for 6 months or so a couple of years ago upon starting up again with DEs and soaps/brushes when we lived in a rental house with horribly hard water as I didn't want to wreck a good brush with sediment etc.

First brush was a cheap badger (cheaper than my Semogue boar, if I recall correctly). I had just found online shaving forums at the time and didn't realize a low quality badger could be worse than a reasonable quality boar. It went in the trash a few weeks after I received it, as it shed many hairs every single shave.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

I did until this week. It is a Simply Beautiful Pure Badger, cheap but does what it needs to do. My 19yo son just started wet shaving, and I gave it to him for his first shaving brush.

I has a drugstore boar when I first started shaving, but when I moved to London in 1971, I went to Floris and bought a proper badger brush. I used it constantly until worn down to a nub, them five years ago, had Larry at WD install a new silvertip knot. I use it every shave. It was ivory when I bought it, now a nice nut-brown, less red that the picture.
DSCN1004 copy.JPG

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
No, sadly thrown out many many years ago. The silly thing is, is that now I find it hard to get rid of anything but when I was younger I tossed lots of things that I wish I still had.

Top Bottom