What's new

4 month wolfman evaluation

I use a WR2 I got in BST in 1.15 occasionally.

It’s amazingly smooth with my sadly discontinued Polsilver SIs, but easily leaves a couple of weepers. Need to try it with a permasharp or man up to get a 1.05

I noticed that you like the WR3 .50. How would you compare it to the WR2 1.55 in terms of blade feel and efficiency
I am not experienced enough with GEM razors yet to make any comparisons. I had never used a GEM before I got my WR3 and it is an change to my technique to shave with such a shallow angle and with a narrower blade. I am getting very good shaves and no irritation, but I haven’t yet mastered it to get the maximum efficiency on all parts of my face. Where I do get it right the razor seems very efficient, and in some areas I am getting a closer shave more easily than other razor formats. In other areas, like around my adam’s apple and the corners of my jaw, I am finding it harder to get completely close. It has to be my technique and the learning curve.

I can say the WR3 0.50 SB is very smooth feeling indeed and it seems easier to shave without getting irritation than my other razors (including the WR2 0.95 and 1.55). And there is less blade exposure than the 1.55 or even the 0.95. But I am shaving differently with it and using a much shallower angle, so it’s going to be a lot different from what I do with my WR2s just because of the different technique.

At the moment my WR2 shaves (0.95 and 1.55) are more efficient, but who knows what I will think after I become more expert with the WR3. I am satisfied with my shaves using the WR3, and I enjoy using it a lot, and it only took me a couple of shaves to get to this point. But I am sure I can improve further with more practice.

Others who have used GEM razors a long time may be able to give you better information to compare gaps with other razors. For me they are quite different, but I am really glad I tried this format and I definitely like it. At the moment I am only using my two GEM razors (this and the Vestige).

I am not experienced enough with GEM razors yet to make any comparisons. I had never used a GEM before I got my WR3 and it is an change to my technique to shave with such a shallow angle and with a narrower blade. I am getting very good shaves and no irritation, but I haven’t yet mastered it to get the maximum efficiency on all parts of my face. Where I do get it right the razor seems very efficient, and in some areas I am getting a closer shave more easily than other razor formats. In other areas, like around my adam’s apple and the corners of my jaw, I am finding it harder to get completely close. It has to be my technique and the learning curve.

I can say the WR3 0.50 SB is very smooth feeling indeed and it seems easier to shave without getting irritation than my other razors (including the WR2 0.95 and 1.55). And there is less blade exposure than the 1.55 or even the 0.95. But I am shaving differently with it and using a much shallower angle, so it’s going to be a lot different from what I do with my WR2s just because of the different technique.

At the moment my WR2 shaves (0.95 and 1.55) are more efficient, but who knows what I will think after I become more expert with the WR3. I am satisfied with my shaves using the WR3, and I enjoy using it a lot, and it only took me a couple of shaves to get to this point. But I am sure I can improve further with more practice.

Others who have used GEM razors a long time may be able to give you better information to compare gaps with other razors. For me they are quite different, but I am really glad I tried this format and I definitely like it. At the moment I am only using my two GEM razors (this and the Vestige).
Thank you very much for your patient response. I really like my WR1 .80, and as I'm about to successfully queue up this time, I'm considering choosing between the WR2 1.55 and WR3. I'm wondering if you have ever used a WR1 with a large gap, and how it differs from the WR2 1.55 in terms of efficiency, shaving angle, and blade feel. Thank you.

Thank you very much for your patient response. I really like my WR1 .80, and as I'm about to successfully queue up this time, I'm considering choosing between the WR2 1.55 and WR3. I'm wondering if you have ever used a WR1 with a large gap, and how it differs from the WR2 1.55 in terms of efficiency, shaving angle, and blade feel. Thank you.
I do have a WR1 0.80 (open comb, though). It is very different from a WR2, and for me my WR2 1.55 is both more efficient and more gentle. I would say my WR2 0.95 is also at least as efficient as the WR1 and it is significantly gentler.

But some people like the WR1 better than the WR2, so YMMV.

For me the WR2 is a unique razor design, with very high blade gap and exposure, but somehow extremely gentle if you have the right ones and use it the right way. I use my WR2 1.55 with a very steep angle and a light touch. I use my 0.95 at a more neutral angle, so I am using different techniques for these two gaps, which works very well for me. They both are very, very efficient, and much gentler than I would expect for this level of efficiency.

Last edited:
I do have a WR1 0.80 (open comb, though). It is very different from a WR2, and for me my WR2 1.55 is both more efficient and more gentle. I would say my WR2 0.95 is also at least as efficient and it is significantly gentler.

But some people like the WR1 better than the WR2, so YMMV.

For me the WR2 is a unique razor design, with very high blade gap and exposure, but somehow extremely gentle if you have the right ones and use it the right way. I use my WR2 1.55 with a very steep angle and a light touch. I use my 0.95 at a more neutral angle, so I am using different techniques for these two gaps, which works very well for me. They both are very, very efficient, and much gentler than I would expect for this level of efficiency.
Thank you for your advice, you are really patient, and your suggestions are very helpful.

Top Bottom