What's new

Do you still have or use your first Shaving Brush

I still have and use the Rooney 3/1 Super Silvertip I purchased from Vintage Blades in 2010.

I've bought a few, pifed a few and sold a few since then. I currently have 20 brushes plus a Chubby 2 Best on the way.

First brush was a Wilkinson Sword Boar. I still have it and use it daily. I have a few others, but I keep going back to the old Wilkie.
There's no boar like an old boar...

My first brush, was an Omega (probably the 48). But, i threw it away, as in that period the TV commercials about the cartridges was picking a lot of wind on their sails and having "two blades that follow the contour of your face", seemed irresistible and wetshaving was deemed a thing of the past, so i threw it away, together with the Gillette Tech that i had at the time.

When i returned to wetshaving, i started with a Proraso brush, which again i ended up throwing away, after the chrome colour chipped a lot, because i was soaking it in hot water and banging it against the shaving bowl. It just looked terrible at some point.

My 1st badger brush on the other hand, was the classic chinese pure badger on the yellow wooden handle (which exist by different names all over the world), which i still keep in rotation, although it is the brush that requires special technique when facelathering, but i see it as a challenge and an "anchor to reality" against high $$$ SBAD.

Yes, but I didn't use it for a few decades. When I started shaving at 15 I was given my Grandfather's old Erskine U-50 Badger. It was already somewhat worn by then. He passed away before I was born and I don't know how many years he used it. My Dad and older Brother also had their turns with it before I got it. I fell into using the drugstore Boar brushes since they were cheap and readily available. My last one of those was a Surrey which except for color was identical to today's cheapest Van Der Hagen.

I though Badger was gone from the marketplace but when I discovered their market had been revived by the internet I discovered Badger and Blade and reknotted Grandpa's Erskine with a Whipped Dog 20 mm Silvertip. The original knot was smaller, I'm guessing about 18 mm. It is in my rotation and I use it about once a month. I really enjoy it.

Threw my one and only Vulfix mixed badger & boar brush out this morning that I've used for the last 6 years daily and not looked after it.

Yes. Bought it in 2007. It’s just a run-of-the-mill CVS Vanderhagen boat brush. Plastic handle, nothing fancy- which is how I like my brushes. Still around. I keep it to brush off my beard trimmer for when the goatee needs a trim. It has been replaced by an Omega 10098 & a Semogue 1308. Not counting the vanderhagen which I don’t use for shaves anymore, I only use 2 boars, 1 razorock syn., GBS Pure Badger, and a Parker Silver tip5 brushes- boars are my workhorse.

I gave several of my earlier brushes away (VdH, Semogue, Whipped Dog, etc) as I got better and better ones. Nothing all that sentimental, several that ranged from inexpensive to pretty decent brushes. If it was something passed down from my Grandfather or Father I'd likely have hung onto it but for something I bought myself, I'd rather see someone use it than it sit on a shelf somewhere collecting dust.

Started with an old butterscotch Vulfix badger brush. It's now semi-retired to travel brush status. Still love it, but prefer an even older Rubberset boar brush for daily use.

*sorry, late to the party; I'll catch up those I haven't read as I can.*
First, of the modern era, was a Parker Silvertip Badger bought on Amazon; still have... really don't use.
I'd think the first I ever used would be one my Dad had (I still have) it's like a common Thater style handle in white with a 'thin' longish knot - reminds me of a Kent. I hate it today. But, there was a time... and I have no idea what Dad thought about it. I'd place it at 40+ years old.

Hah.. considering it was 1989 and a drug store boar, of course not. I can’t even remember how many I went through over the years. I’d use em until one day the knot would fall apart and I’d go buy another. My first decent brush was an AOS Badger and it’s still in use after 6 or 7 years though it has developed something of an empty spot in the middle from shedding..

Yes--but my first brush is only about 7 years old. It's and AoS badger and I still love it, although if it fell apart I doubt I'd get another badger since I really like boar and synthetic brushes (and they are so much cheaper...)

Nope - cheap 90's Body Shop (presumably synthetic). Shed like crazy, didn't know how to use it or take care of it. I resurrected it a few years ago when we were in a rental house temporarily with water that left deposits on shave gear. It hit the bin a year ago.

Yup! I've mentioned it in other threads already.

It's a cheap Surrey Boar bristle I bought in '88 and I used it the other day.

Top Bottom