What's new

Do you still have or use your first Shaving Brush

I still have my original brush. It is an Old Spice branded brush that came in a set with a mug and soap in 1981. I have used it on rare occasion just for fun, but it has been retired and kept mostly as a keepsake. I do, however, still use the mug every day.

I still have my first brush but i barely want to look at it let alone use it. It's a cheap, that wasn't cheap, no brand boar that has shed so much it's remaing hairs have sectioned off into groups that refuse to come together like a cheapskate and nice things.

I’ve only been using a brush for the past 4 years. I started with a VDH boar brush and I still use it. I hope to be hanging on to it for years to come.

My first brush was a VDH boar. Second was a tweezerman. Third brush was actually a shaving brush, by whipped dog.
The first two found a better home in the trash can. When they landed the residents said "there goes the neighborhood".
I dont really remember what ended up with that whipped dog.
My first good bursh was a Semogue Owners Club, in finest. I still have it.

my brother got me a new boar and a vintage badger for my 18th or 19th birthday (1981 or 1982). I still have the badger, but the boar is long gone.

Nope - my first one was a Vulfix brush, don't remember the model. But it was too big and floppy for what I found myself preferring and I sold it.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
OK, I dug it up. Here she is. This is the very first shaving brush I made in my life. It is a TGN Silvertip badger knot that Tony sent me. At that time, I had not a clue about loft, so I set the knot way too high. I think the knot is 25 mm and the loft is about 60 mm. I used this one for a few months only, then made me another one, and another one....
The handle is figured Narra wood (same three the famous Amboyna Burl comes from).

IMG_4619.JPG

Graydog

Biblical Innards
OK, I dug it up. Here she is. This is the very first shaving brush I made in my life. It is a TGN Silvertip badger knot that Tony sent me. At that time, I had not a clue about loft, so I set the knot way too high. I think the knot is 25 mm and the loft is about 60 mm. I used this one for a few months only, then made me another one, and another one....
The handle is figured Narra wood (same three the famous Amboyna Burl comes from).

View attachment 932207
Bravo Rudy, it looks like you might have some potential at brush making :)

My first brush was a 22mm Shavemac finest 3-band, which I loved until I tried my first silvertip 3-band - a Savile Row. Both brushes are long gone but my badger rotation today consists of 4 Shavemac knots (one is set in a Rooney handle and one is set in a Simpson handle) and an original New Forest 2-band.

Nope. That Escali badger was awful and I don't miss it.

You and me both pal. It was a great way to get into the hobby and be introduced to creams. But what a truly dreadful, floppy brush. Another example of not believing Amazon reviews from people who don’t know what they are talking about! If you want to know what brushes to buy, B&B all the way.

Cheap 70’s drugstore boar, quickly “broke in” to an asymmetrical point, rather than a fan or a bulb. Used it for years, tossed it when my bride gave me a nice badger Plisson. That Plisson is still in great shape.

Top Bottom