What's new

Diary (& questions) of a relative newbie

Personna (Red) (1st) (93rd blade), Scheermonnik 1778 Beau Brummel sample tub, Nivea Sensitive Balm

Forgot to switch blades yesterday (resulting in a minor weeper, obviously I blame the blade :001_rolle ). So this morning I switched to Personna. And immediately I remembered why I dislike these blades. They shave well enough (in combination with my razor and my skill level), but they are noisy and present on my skin like a barking dog. He won't bite but it's not a nice feeling. So the result is very much okay, but I don't like the 15' of shaving. And when it comes to wet shaving (as for so many other things), the only relevant questions are: 1. How do I like the process and 2. How do I like the result.
I guess two, maybe three more shaves with the 1778, then we're back on regular rotation with the Palmolive/Pitralon combination.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm always curious how long products last. So I'm keeping track of the number of times I've used soaps/creams. Current status:
De Vergulde Hand (puck): 43
Tabac soap (glass jar): 93
Wilkinson Sword puck (blue tub) : 93
Palmolive Men Classic (tube): 35
Baume.be cream: 35
Scheermonnik 1778 Beau Brummel: 22
Scheermonnik Soek: 5
Scheermonnik Smoor: 5
Scheermonnik Berk: 5

- finished/stopped using -
Palmolive Men Classic stick (50g): 81 shaves; 0,62g per shave. At € 1,29: € 0,016 per shave. Close to 'for free'
Proraso Red soap (125g): 65 shaves for 72g used (stopped using it); 1,11g per shave. At € 7,30: € 0,065 per shave.
TOBS sandalwood cream (150g): 96 shaves; 1,56g per shave. At € 15,95: € 0,17 per shave.
ARKO stick: stopped using it after one shave. #528 explains why.
Scheermonnik samples: Delfts Wit (xxxg): 15 shaves; Delftse Donderslag (xxg): 29 shaves

Personna (Red) (2nd) (93rd blade), Scheermonnik 1778 Beau Brummel sample tub, Nivea Sensitive Balm

Second day of Personna. Today, I'm not even very happy with the result, my sideburns still feeling scratchy. Probably my own bad, but still, prefer to blame the blade :biggrin1:

I'm always curious how long products last. So I'm keeping track of the number of times I've used soaps/creams. Current status:
Scheermonnik 1778 Beau Brummel: 23

Palmolive Men Classic stick (50g): 81 shaves; 0,62g per shave. At € 1,29: € 0,016 per shave. Close to 'for free'
Proraso Red soap (125g): 65 shaves for 72g used (stopped using it); 1,11g per shave. At € 7,30: € 0,065 per shave.
TOBS sandalwood cream (150g): 96 shaves; 1,56g per shave. At € 15,95: € 0,17 per shave.
Scheermonnik samples: Delfts Wit (xxxg): 15 shaves; Delftse Donderslag (xxg): 29 shaves

Gillette 7 o'clock green (4th) (92nd blade), Scheermonnik 1778 Beau Brummel sample tub, Nivea Sensitive Balm

Got myself a minor weeper today on my throat. Very minor and it's been quite some time. The thing is: I can't figure out what caused it (yeah, me handling a razorsharp blade on the thin skin of my throat, but other than that...).

Some 10 days ago, I ordered some samples form Maggard. Just under $25 including shipping.
Now I have to pay € 21 extra. Some €6 import duties and €15 administration fee. First and last order that was.

Scheermonnik 1778 Beau Brummel: 17

Gifts and care or Rasoigoodfellas are better options for us on this side of the pond - unless you are looking for specific US milled soaps. But blades, razorsand all usually are easier to get through EU sites. Tax and customs have been the rise lately as far as I can tell.

Cheers,

Guido

Personna (Red) (4th) (93rd blade), Scheermonnik 1778 Beau Brummel sample tub, Nivea Sensitive Balm

Can't complain about the blade today. So I guess I did a good job this time. (It's very much like with soccer: if the team wins, it's "We won", if they loose, it's "they lost").
Finished the 1778 today. Normally, Palmolive would get 8 days now. But since tomorrow afternoon, my holiday starts, I might treat myself testing the newly arrived, highly expensive, samples.

Scheermonnik sample tubs Soek: 5 ; Smoor: 5 ; Berk: 5

Scheermonnik samples: Delfts Wit (xxxg): 15 shaves; Delftse Donderslag (xxg): 29 shaves; 1778 BB (xxg): 28 shaves

Personna (Red) (5th) (93rd blade), TOBS St James Collection (sample), no AS

So for my fist day of holiday, I selected the TOBS St James Collection cream. I've emptied an entire tub of TOBS Sandalwood in the past and recognised the complexity and high level of civilisation of the fragrance. Though very different from Sandalwood obviously. Zesty and geranium, that's what I recognise. Very nice, I'll be happy to return to this sample. But it's unlikely I'll ever buy a full tub.

Scheermonnik samples: Delfts Wit (xxxg): 15 shaves; Delftse Donderslag (xxg): 29 shaves; 1778 BB (xxg): 28 shaves

Personna (Red) (6th) (93rd blade), TOBS Eton college (sample), no AS

So for the second day of holiday, I selected the TOBS Eton college cream. Now this is really a cream. The softest I've ever witnessed, softer even than a tube of Palmolive. TOBS-level lather and residual slickness. The fragrance? The lemon-orange-citrus fruits are clearly present. And there's more, but I can't put my finger on it. Just like yesterday's sample of St James, I'll be happy to return to this sample. But it's unlikely I'll ever buy a full tub. After one trial, I prefer the St James.

Personna (Red) (7th) (93rd blade), TOBS Jermyn Street (sample), no AS

So for the third day of holiday, I selected the TOBS Jermyn Street cream. Back to margarine consistency, not the really creamy texture of the Eton College. The fragrance? Totally reminds me of my previous barber. He used to finish his work with a hair gel he ordered in the UK. It smelled very much like this Jermyn Street. So for me, this is the smell of going to the barber. Love it (at least, at first shave).
Some would say it has some lavender to it, or zesty tones. For me, it's 100% Rob. I can see me ordering a full tub of this cream.

Voskhod (1st) (94th blade), Martin de Candre, Fougère, no AS

Yesterday and today, I sampled MdC Fougère. Which was rather disappointing. Probably partly due to my high expectations. But also based on it's performance.
I scooped out an almondfull in my bowl, pressed it to the side and loaded my brush on that to start facelathering. Yesterday I must have loaded too little soap I guess. Today I had a good quantity. But the negative was exactly the same: no smooth slippery sliding of the razor on my skin, the lather felt more like restraining the gliding process than helping it. Even with a new blade today, so it wasn't the blade either.
No idea what I've been doing wrong.

I usually let my MdC bloom a few minutes before loading the brush lightly, 5 or 6 swirls, always less than 10, then paint it on my face like spackle. Start adding water as I face lather and it literally explodes on my face.

~doug~

I'll give that a try next time around. Though it might prove difficult on a small sample jar. Maybe transfer some to my bowl and add some warm water there some time before loading my brush?

Voskhod (2nd) (94th blade), Wolly Kaw King of Oud sample, no AS

Another day of my holiday, another sample. I was looking forward to this one very much. Since I'm rather fond of middle-eastern smells.
Now we know there's some controversy about Arko. Personally I don't like the smell of it at all. I just associate it with other applications than lathering my face. King of Oud is quite a different animal. It's a smell I dislike very much. It has something tart, acidic to it. Turning the soap into a lather did change the aroma a little. For the better. But still...
Curious how it'll be to use it 4 days in a row. But most certainly not tomorrow.

Voskhod (3rd) (94th blade), Cella Crema de Barba, no AS

Another day of my holiday, last totally new sample. I've been sniffing this sample since it arrived. It smells somewhat like almonds or marsipan. But it totally smells like the small jars of creamy glue you got as a todler. The glue you had to scoop out with a small spoon and smear on the paper. Throws me back in time more than 50 years.
First surprise: though they call it a Crema, the product is rather hard, even more soap than croap for me. Might be the small sample. Then, when lathering, the smell of the glue remains but gets some extra layers. Cologne-like. Actually liked it a lot. Very fine shaving process too.

Voskhod (4th) (94th blade), Palmolive tube, Pitralon classic AS

Bach to my regular rotation. Haven't decided yet for how long.
Anyway, I was amazed by the quantity and quality of lather the Palmolive produced (I might have squeezed out a little too much). The aroma of the Palmolive and of the Pitralon (which I both like a lot), blend so wonderfully. I'm totally happy with this shave and wonder why I've been ordering samples of other soaps in the first place.
A, sure, because of you B&B guys and because of my curiosity.
Palmolive Men Classic (tube): 36

Voskhod (5th) (94th blade), Palmolive tube, Pitralon classic AS

Marvellous lathering, lousy shaving. I managed to create 3 small red dots. That's been some time. No real bleeding, but still. Probably just not paying enough attention. Or maybe paying too much attention?
Palmolive Men Classic (tube): 37

Perma-Sharp (3rd) (95th blade), Palmolive tube, Pitralon classic AS

A weekend of excellent shaves. It's been some time, but I have modified a small part of my shaving routing. Noticing some irritation on the far left side of my chin, I discovered a place where the hairs grow in the opposite direction. So instead of (unwillingly) going ATG on the first pass on that patch, I now go WTG there too. And, for the next days, without an ATG following.

And I've stopped bowllathering the Palmolive. Just wet my face, put 1,5cm of cream on my finger, make a downward green stripe on each jaw and start facelathering with a wet brush. Works perfect for me.
Palmolive Men Classic (tube): 40

Perma-Sharp (5th) (95th blade), Palmolive tube, Pitralon classic AS

My slightly adapted shaving routine isn't paying off yet. At least the situation isn't getting any worse any more. That's already a good thing.
Tomorrow last day of Palmolive/Pitralon. Haven't decided yet where I'll turn to next. I just might pick another Scheermonnik sample and finish it.
Palmolive Men Classic (tube): 42

Gillette 7 o'clock SS (green) (1st) (96th blade), Palmolive tube, Pitralon classic AS

I think the new routine is starting to pay off. And on blades, my impression is the Perma-Sharp indeed is sharp (in a way that I can appreciate a lot), but doesn't last as long as the Gillette or Voskhod. Fine by me.
I've decided to turn to the TOBS St James sample tomorrow. Use my 6 most recent samples for 4 days each so all samples are at '5 times used'. Then return to my routine exept that between each routine-soap, I'll finish one of the 9 samples I currently have.
Palmolive Men Classic (tube): 43

Gillette 7 o'clock SS (green) (3rd) (96th blade), TOBS St James Collection (sample), no AS

Second day of this TOBS sample. I really like the performance and the smell. I just scoop out a little of the cream with my finger, paste two lines on my wet cheeks and start facelathering. Lovely.
Palmolive Men Classic (tube): 43

Top Bottom