What's new

First timers experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, what you said was to use the cloth side only right after honing; everything else I've read says to strop on the cloth side then the leather side before every shave.

I'll spell it out for you...
Typically, you'll strop with leather before the shave, and a cloth (linen, cotton, hemp) after the shave.

To put it into pictures for those with reading comprehension issues:

Shave > linen > leather > shave > linen > leather > shave rinse and repeat.

If you are going to tell someone that they are categorically wrong, as you have now done twice, make sure that a) understand their position and b) are prepared to be shown to be a fool.

No, what you said was to use the cloth side only right after honing; everything else I've read says to strop on the cloth side then the leather side before every shave.
I re-read @silverlifter comments. That is how I will do it as he said. Before shaving in the morning, strop on the leather. After I finish shaving and before leaving bathroom, strop on linen to dry the edge.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Would you happen to know if your strop components are interchangeable with most other strops on the market of the same size or are their usually variations amongst different vendors?
Many of the strops on the market now use the same dimensions/shapes for the caps and handles as well as the hole spacing on their 3" strops that I designed about 18 years ago (my first year's strops looked nothing like what has followed). Some are pretty much exact copies.

There are however several talented creative makers out there in the US and a broad with their own unique and original designs and their components likely will not interchange with mine.

If you are going to tell someone that they are categorically wrong
No, I'm not saying that you're wrong, just that everything else I've read on the subject contradicts you. You may well be right, but if so, you'll need to explain why everybody else has it wrong. Possibly there are special circumstances involved that I don't know about.

Last edited:
just that everything else I've read on the subject controdicts you

Instead of just reading, try actually comprehending. Nothing that you have read "controdicts" me, because you have not even remotely understood what I am saying, despite me (and @Darth Scandalous) spelling it out for you.

In any event, you are free to believe whatever you want, just stop with the strawman argument. Either engage with what I actually typed in good faith (quoted for you above so you don't even have to go back through the thread), or stop mentioning me.

Either engage with what I actually typed in good faith
And what makes you think I'm not posting in good faith? The fact that I disagree with you? You might stop and think that I'm a novice when it comes to using a SE, and explain more clearly rather than just insulting me by calling me a troll.

And what makes you think I'm not posting in good faith?

You insist on attributing a position to me that I have never articulated. I keep telling you to reread my comments, but you refuse to acknowledge that you misinterpreted my post and just keep doubling down. Just man up, admit you are wrong and stop annoying me and everyone else in the thread.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Typically, you'll strop with leather before the shave, and a cloth (linen, cotton, hemp) after the shave.
As I read it shave- linen-leather-shave
Mostly, it says to strop first on the cloth, to renew the edge a then on the leather, to smooth the edge out and polish the blade.
As I see it shave-linen-leather-shave

Y’all are saying the same thing. The only difference is that @silverlifter (and others) have said use linen right after your shave. Leather is still before the shave, after the linen, but there’s a days gap between the linen and leather.

@Sideburns you’re saying the same thing except your saying to use the linen right before you use the leather.

Same thing. I don’t even use a straight razor and can figure this out.

Drop the troll accusation and back and forth or this thread will be locked.

Last edited:
Maybe it would be helpful if you restate the question, because it seems like we're all talking past each other at this point.
Good idea. The other poster advised us to use the cloth side of the strop after honing, but not the leather. Later, he added that you should use the cloth side just after a shave and the leather just before the next. I politely pointed out that everything I'd read about stropping said that you should use both sides of the strop just before you shave and asked him to explain and he seems to have found my questioning (as a novice SR shaver) offensive.

The other poster advised us to use the cloth side of the strop after honing, but not the leather.
I have not seen where he said that, and it's not what I do, post-honing. I strop on both after honing.
Later, he added that you should use the cloth side just after a shave and the leather just before the next. I politely pointed out that everything I'd read about stropping said that you should use both sides of the strop just before you shave
I thought we covered this, but I'll give it another shot. I agree that *if* you're using a fabric component, especially flax linen, which is mildly abrasive, you should always follow it with clean leather. Really, no matter what you use, the last thing your razor touches before it touches your face should be a clean leather strop.

Now, one of the benefits of a fabric strop component (any fabric) is that using it after the shave dries and cleans the bevel better than just wiping it off with a towel. If my routine is 30 laps on linen followed by 50 laps on leather (or whatever number works for you), it doesn't matter if those 30 laps on linen happen *after* my shave today, and the 50 laps on linen happen *before* my shave tomorrow, does it? The net result is exactly the same as if I just stropped on linen and leather immediately before tomorrow's shave.

Except, that I've gained the benefit of not leaving moisture and soap scum on my bevel overnight.

Not everybody uses cloth components, either. I happen to like what flax linen does for my edges so I use it. I have seen less benefit from cotton or poly-webbing, other than the cleaning/drying aspect, post-shave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom