What's new

Diary (& questions) of a relative newbie

Voskhod (3rd) (90th blade), Wilkinson Sword puck, Nivea Sensitive Balm

Just continued using the Wilkinson puck. 3rd day of Voskhod, still feels like I forgot to put a blade in the razor while shaving, yet the result is excellent.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm always curious how long products last. So I'm keeping track of the number of times I've used soaps/creams. Current status:
De Vergulde Hand (puck): 43
Tabac soap (glass jar): 93
Wilkinson Sword puck (blue tub) : 89
Palmolive Men Classic (tube): 35
Baume.be cream: 35
Scheermonnik 1778 Beau Brummel: 5
Scheermonnik Soek: 5
Scheermonnik Smoor: 5
Scheermonnik Berk: 5

- finished/stopped using -
Palmolive Men Classic stick (50g): 81 shaves; 0,62g per shave. At € 1,29: € 0,016 per shave. Close to 'for free'
Proraso Red soap (125g): 65 shaves for 72g used (stopped using it); 1,11g per shave. At € 7,30: € 0,065 per shave.
TOBS sandalwood cream (150g): 96 shaves; 1,56g per shave. At € 15,95: € 0,17 per shave.
ARKO stick: stopped using it after one shave. #528 explains why.
Scheermonnik samples: Delfts Wit (xxxg): 15 shaves; Delftse Donderslag (xxg): 29 shaves

Voskhod (4th) (90th blade), Wilkinson Sword puck, Nivea Sensitive Balm

Same satisfying routine. Exept for the smell of Wilkinson, which I dislike more and more, the opposite of it 'growing' on me, this is what I hope shaving'll feel like for many many mornings to come.

And I ordered a few soap samples from Maggard. Which might take up to 75 days to cross the ocean. Not that I'm in a bad need for soap.

I'm always curious how long products last. So I'm keeping track of the number of times I've used soaps/creams. Current status:
Wilkinson Sword puck (blue tub) : 90

Palmolive Men Classic stick (50g): 81 shaves; 0,62g per shave. At € 1,29: € 0,016 per shave. Close to 'for free'
Proraso Red soap (125g): 65 shaves for 72g used (stopped using it); 1,11g per shave. At € 7,30: € 0,065 per shave.
TOBS sandalwood cream (150g): 96 shaves; 1,56g per shave. At € 15,95: € 0,17 per shave.
Scheermonnik samples: Delfts Wit (xxxg): 15 shaves; Delftse Donderslag (xxg): 29 shaves

Voskhod (5th) (90th blade), Wilkinson Sword puck, Nivea Sensitive Balm

Same satisfying routine once again. These Voskhod blades kind of allow me to do crazy things without hurting me. Like really staying very close to the skin while shaving the sharp curve on the jawbone going N->S. While shaving, I suddenly got a little frightened. I ordered a lot of Voskhod and Gillette 7o'clock green. Plus a few other brands that are considered 'sharp' of 'very sharp'. Will those blades offer me extra comfort (like a closer shave, given I'm actually quite okay with the current closeness of my shaves)? Or will they require so much attention to prevent cutting myself that I won't enjoy them at all?
I'll have to find out for myself, now won't I?

Wilkinson Sword puck (blue tub) : 91

Voskhod (6th) (90th blade), Wilkinson Sword puck, Nivea Sensitive Balm

Unexpectedly this was the last day of Wilkinson for now.
My wife used it yesterday to shave her legs. So I can add two to my count :thumbup:
Before switching to Palmolive, I will use some of the Scheermonnik 1778 Beau Brummel sample. Maybe 3017 it, we'll see.

Wilkinson Sword puck (blue tub) : 93

Voskhod (7th) (90th blade), Scheermonnik 1778 Beau Brummel sample tub, Nivea Sensitive Balm

I last used 1778 in wintertime. Noticed it had a modest smell of honey, tea and coconut. And that it didn't quite match with the rainy season.
Well, now we enjoy some sunny days. And it does indeed smell a lot more appropriate to me.
But I went totally wrong with my bowllathering. Has been some time since I last bowllathered. I added too much water and created a fluffy foam in my bowl. I prefer to complete the last minute or so of the lathering process on my face even when bowl lathering.
Nice shave though. Still with excellent result.

Scheermonnik 1778 Beau Brummel: 6

Perma-Sharp (2nd) (91st blade), Scheermonnik 1778 Beau Brummel sample tub, Nivea Sensitive Balm

Last time I ordered blades, it was a lot of Voskhod and Gillette 7o'clock (green). Plus a few other brands, just to try out. Primarily 'very sharp' blades.
So yesterday, I had a first encounter with Perma-Sharp.
Wow!
An amazing step change in closeness of my shave. Copied my 1,1 passes routine, as identical to the previous weeks/months as I can with a very clear difference in end result.
Today: ditto.
Curious how many days this difference will last.

Scheermonnik 1778 Beau Brummel: 9

Perma-Sharp (4th) (91st blade), Scheermonnik 1778 Beau Brummel sample tub, Nivea Sensitive Balm

Still having marvelous shaves with the Perma-Sharp blade.
In the mean time, I scooped out the remainder of the 1778 soap and pressed it in my lathering bowl. Still quite a few shaves to go. But this time, I don't mind. Won't be buying a full tub, but the lather is really fine and the smell is okay and not very present to begin with.

Scheermonnik 1778 Beau Brummel: 11

Perma-Sharp (5th) (91st blade), Scheermonnik 1778 Beau Brummel sample tub, Nivea Sensitive Balm

Getting a BBS result shouldn't be any problem with this blade. (With my hair growth, shaving skills, razor). I went a little beyond my 1,1 passes routine this morning, adding my sideburns to the ATG pass. They're super smooth now.

Scheermonnik 1778 Beau Brummel: 12

Gillette 7 o'clock green (3rd) (92nd blade), Scheermonnik 1778 Beau Brummel sample tub, Nivea Sensitive Balm

Enjoyed the Perma-Sharp blade a lot. I did get the impression it doesn't last all that long. Fine by me.
So in my current blade rotation, it's back to Gillette.
In the mean time, there's still some 1778 left in my lathering bowl. Like 5 more days I'd guess. I used to describe the smell as 'tea, honey and coconut'. But now, I'd rather say 'almond, tea and honey'. Don't mind using it, won't regret finishing it either.

Scheermonnik 1778 Beau Brummel: 16

Gillette 7 o'clock green (4th) (92nd blade), Scheermonnik 1778 Beau Brummel sample tub, Nivea Sensitive Balm

Got myself a minor weeper today on my throat. Very minor and it's been quite some time. The thing is: I can't figure out what caused it (yeah, me handling a razorsharp blade on the thin skin of my throat, but other than that...).

Some 10 days ago, I ordered some samples form Maggard. Just under $25 including shipping.
Now I have to pay € 21 extra. Some €6 import duties and €15 administration fee. First and last order that was.

Scheermonnik 1778 Beau Brummel: 17

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
€21 is a bigger bite than your razor took. I hope your savings heal soon and your weepers cease.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Some 10 days ago, I ordered some samples form Maggard. Just under $25 including shipping.
Now I have to pay € 21 extra. Some €6 import duties and €15 administration fee. First and last order that was.
Interesting, I ordered some blades from Maggard just last week and the shipping was free. :eek2:

~doug~

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
You may be in the USA, Doug. I’ve noticed the Maggards family spoils people in that country (including me).
International shipping rates from the USA are, ridiculously, expensive these days. It costs me almost 4 times as much to ship a handle across the pond as it does here.

~doug~

hey @Rosseforp @thombrogan
has nothing to do with international shipping rates. Expensive yes, but they were already included in the $25 Maggard charged me (they did a shipping rate promotion).
The €21 are linked to the Euro-regulation concerning goods imported from outside the EU. VAT, import duties and primarily administration fee.

Maggard could help European customers to avoid this. They should have a Euro-registration and comply with Euro-legislation on charging VAT and import duties. Thus helping their european customers avoiding the €15 administration fee.

Gillette 7 o'clock green (5th) (92nd blade), Scheermonnik 1778 Beau Brummel sample tub, Nivea Sensitive Balm

No more weepers today. Just a clean and comfortable 1,1 passes shave.

Scheermonnik 1778 Beau Brummel: 18

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Very sad to read Maggards could’ve taken the opportunity to make your purchase less painful and they didn’t.

Should you purchasing habits become so out of control that ordering from the USA is a relentless compulsion, I’ve heard some people in Europe and Asia use mail-forwarding services to reduce some of the hassle.

I considered opening one with Rakuten a few years ago, but then more USA-based vendors started offering the products I craved at semi-reasonable prices and some Japan-based vendors are now selling on eBay’s US site in case my issues rage worse than now.

Gillette 7 o'clock green (7th) (92nd blade), Scheermonnik 1778 Beau Brummel sample tub, Nivea Sensitive Balm

Just another comfortable 1,1 passes shave, though I'll ditch the blade tomorrow morning.
I'm quite ashamed to admit I haven't found a good cleaning routine yet. I mean: cleaning the razor when switching blades. I currently use some soap and an old toothbrush. But that's not easy (all the small sides of a razor) and not effective (still have to remove most mat white matter with my finger nails).
Suppose I'll be able to find lots of discussions on that on B&B.

Scheermonnik 1778 Beau Brummel: 20

Top Bottom