What's new

Diary (& questions) of a relative newbie

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Face lathering is immoral but I can't stop myself.480.jpg

yet another attempt at facelathering. This time it worked perfectly fine and I liked it a lot.

5th shave with the Shark. Did also a 2nd pass on the cheeks today. XTG. Didn't make any difference (on the chin it does). Maybe I did sth wrong.

6th shave with the Shark SS. Felt like the blade started to tear on the hairs instead of cutting them. Yet the endresult was very satisfying. So I decided on having another go with this blade tomorrow.
First time of face-lathering that I had too much lather (I do like 1,5 passes)

7th shave with the Shark SS. Felt good (no tearing), fine endresult. Still, I'll toss it.
As a beginner, you guys advised me to order several brands of blades. And I did: 3 brands that are supposed to be very different on the sharpness-mildness scale.
So I planned to do like exactly 7 days with each blade, going from mildest to sharpest. Then come down again (7 days each). And only then use a blade per brand as long as it lasts. Probably starting with the sharpest one again.
Does that sound like a plan?
(And do I sound like someone who badly needs a proper hobby?)

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Sounds good to me, so long as the blade is all that you're changing. Consistency is key in the early stages, so you can identify what change in results was down to you, and what was the blade, razor, soap etc. There are many things to explore in traditional shaving, once you are established in your own techniques, and ave achieved that base level of competence, an can get great shaves every time with one set up. Changing too many things too early, or too often, can just add to the confusion though. You should be fine with that blade exploration, but when you find your favourite blade, stick with it for a while.

So today first shave with the Mühle blade. I guess I wittnessed its sharpness (compared to the Shark) on my cheeks being smoother. But also in my neck showing a few red dots.

2nd Mühle day. Still face-lathering by the way. For a few days now, I swirl my dry brush on the cream, spread it on my wet face and then start lathering. Regular or weird?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
2nd Mühle day. Still face-lathering by the way. For a few days now, I swirl my dry brush on the cream, spread it on my wet face and then start lathering. Regular or weird?

Whatever works best for you, is the right way to go. Whether I start in a bowl, or go straight to the face, I tend to add more water once it's on te face, until it gets to the right density and slickness I'm looking for. I tend to go for thin and slippery, but many like a denser lather than me.

Yesterday my first attempt to use a soap. I bought 2 supercheap soaps in the supermarket, just to try soap.
First up was a Palmolive stick. Just didn't know how to handle it (I do now). So the lathering didn't go very well. The smell: oké but not a big fan.
Today (5th Mühle day) I tried the Wilkinson puck. Lathering went good. But I'm not so sure about the smell. I don't like it at all, yet I can't stop returning to the bathroom to sniff at the puck. How weird is that.

7th and last Mühle day.
Working with the Palmolive stick again. Feels like it leaves my skin dryer. Is it the product or the technique of rubbing the soapstick on your skin?

Mühle had it's 7th go, so today I changed it for Astra Superior Platinum (1). In my current set of blades, this was marked 'sharpness 4 out of 5; sharp yet comfortable'. That's indeed what it felt like.

5th day already op the Astra SP. You can tell it's not new anymore.
I've been using the Wilkinson shaving soap for a few days now. Still intrigued by the smell of it. I don't like it, yet I keep returning to it.

6th day with the Astra SP, still with the Wilkinson. This time, I managed to get enough soap on my brush for a selective 2nd pass.

The other day I ordered soaps and aftershave. And I forgot to order blades :mad3:.
The original plan was to shave exactly 7 days with each of the 3 brands I've got. That's going to come to a close.
Next, I planned on using the blade as long as possible/comfortable. Might do that already with this Astra SP, right :001_rolle

Top Bottom