What's new

Diary (& questions) of a relative newbie

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
They used to make Snake Bite in the same factory which only had residual menthol-related scents. Now, it’s a croap. A croap incapable of frightening a single whisker…

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Now that you have found Vitos Red, no doubt :cheerful:

F'sure.

Besides, I have boxes of other soaps I can play with when I want variety.

However, the really big conclusion for me is this: With some exceptions most soaps are good.

There are very good soaps I am not using because of some reason. MdC is drying to me so I probably won't use it much (if at all) in the future. There are other similar examples. But, most soaps are fairly similar and good. Perhaps not equally good, but plenty good.

Therefore, not chasing soaps (or buying 'em).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Mühle (2), Tabac/Tabac. Better shave than yesterday. Mühle is a noisy blade! (still not sure what that indicates)

Mühle (3), Tabac/Tabac.
I didn't shake out my brush well enough. So a lot of lather started forming on the Tabac bowl. The bowl was kind of entirely coverd in foam and so was my hand. Felt quite different painting this on my face than facelathering with a soap-loaded brush. One day, I must give bowl-lathering a try.

Mühle (4), Tabac/Tabac
just another decent shave. I picked up people aren't exactly enthousiastic about Mühle blades around here. I don't experience a 'very clean shaving result' (like it cuts the hair very short, but not gone, even after an ATG pass), but it's a decent job with no irritation or stuff. So I won't write a song of praise, but I'm fine with Mühle.

Do yourself a favor @Ligeti and try out Feather blades.

I can see you've found love with Tabac. It's a good performing soap with a polarizing scent.

There are many MUCH better soaps and razor set-up options.

For me, transition from DE to SE was a big step fwd in the consistency of the quality of my shaves. You might wanna consider it.

Mühle (6), Proraso red, Tabac

End december, I received a few soaps and started to use the on rotation. But soon, I developed a few pimples. Maybe just stress-related (I get that once in a while). Or maybe my skin reacting to one of the products. So some 10 days ago, I decided to stick with Tabac/Tabac until my AS would run out.
I can now definitely say the pimples weren't due to the Tabac/Tabac combo.
This morning, I realised that if I continued the Tabac/Tabac until the AS runs out, I wouldn't be able to try the logical combo's, changing only one variable at the time.
So for the next period, I'll turn to the Proraso Red soap / Tabac AS combo.

I'm always curious how long products last. So I've recounted how many day's I've been using which soap/cream. Current status:

TOBS sandalwood cream: 17
Palmolive stick : 5
Wilkinson puck : 6
Proraso Red soap : 5
Tabac soap : 18

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I'm always curious how long products last. So I've recounted how many day's I've been using which soap/cream. Current status:

Proraso Red soap : 5
Another way to track your soap usage is to purchase an inexpensive gram scale and weigh the soap before and after.

Mühle (7), Proraso Red, Tabac AS

Proraso Red soap : 6

Mühle (8), Proraso Red, Tabac AS. I planned to switch blades today, but I was in a timesqueeze. So an 8th shave with the Mühle blade. Acceptable.

Proraso Red soap : 7

After the 10th shave, I switched blades. Put in a new Shark SS for tomorrow morning.
And guess what: the pack of 5 blades actually contains 6 blades! Lucky me.

Shark SS (1), Proraso Red, Tabac AS.
So yesterday I had this pleasant surprise to find an extra blade in the Shark 5-pack. Less so today. First shave with the Shark blade and it was no fun at all. Felt more like the blade tried to tear out the hairs. And my cheeks and chin already have that afternoon scratchy feeling (it's 8AM here). I don't remember experiencing this with the first Shark blade. Let's see tomorrow. Maybe that 6th blade is a dud. Which then again would be marvellous news: I'd still have 4 good Shark blades and I'd witnessed a dud :001_tongu

Proraso Red soap : 10

Shark SS (2), Proraso Red, Tabac AS.
So second chance for that Shark blade. Even worse than yesterday. To the point my wife pointed out hairs on my chin and upper lip, wondering whether I had shaved at all. This blade'll have to go. And I plan on replacing it with another Shark.

Proraso Red soap : 11

Top Bottom