What's new

Diary (& questions) of a relative newbie

Astra SP (11); second day of Proraso red soap + AS lotion.
What a difference this lotion makes! My skin doesn't feel dry at all anymore. And I do like the smell of these products a lot!
Curious what'll make me change the blade, and after how many shaves.

Today was my first day of Tabac shaving soap (puck). I've been using Tabac AS and deo for some 40 years now, but today, for the first time also the shaving soap.
I had high expectations, but was also prepared to be disapointed with the first shaves, having read here that Tabac is very hard and takes a few days before you can easily load your brush.
Well, it didn't feel more difficult than loading my brush with Wilkinson or Prorasa. Different: yes. But not difficult. And then there's the lather. And the smell. And the soft feeling of my skin after shaving, not dry nor greasy. And the weirdest thing: I continued to shave with the Astra SP blade. 14th shaving. After 12, I noticed the blade starting to show its age. Now this 14th, with the Tabac, was my best shave untill now!

Finally decided to change blades. Replacing Astra SP with... Astra. Just to experience the difference between a new blade and a blade that I used 15 times. Yes, I'm back to good shaving. I know some are able to use the same blade for 100 shaves or more. I certainly don't have the shaving qualities (yet) to get even near that point.

Astra SP (4) with Tabac and Tabac again.
Tried the combo 'Tabac + Proraso Red', and yes, they do agree. But for me, the Proraso was to dominant versus Tabac.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Stick with your kit for a while (that means don't jump around with the blades, soap, razors, brush) and learn the kit.

Same with lathering. I'm a 100% face latherer. I'm not saying you should be, but stick with face lathering for a while. Get it down. Then see if maybe you like bowl lathering better. I can't imagine why anyone would but some do, and some don't.

Jumping around is confusing to the learning process.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Jumping around is confusing to the learning process.
BOSC2Anything for science.jpg

Astra SP (5) and Tabac/Tabac again. Perfect shaving experience this morning. Not BBS but well shaved, no red dots, no irritation, nice process, nice smell. How about sticking with this combo until my Tabac AS runs out. Taking Chai Eil Whiskers' advice seriously. Unless I run out of Astra blades sooner...

Astra SP (6) and Tabac/Tabac. Oviously. Great shave again, just like yesterday.
I still don't get what some experience with Tabac being a 'difficult' soap to load your brush. Just a wet brush, less than a minute of swirling in both directions (without adding any water at all) and my brush is loaded for 1,5 - 2 passes, more than I need.

Astra SP (8); Tabac/Tabac. And yet another great shave. I'm experimenting with using less water while lathering. I kind of like the more firm, less foamy/frotthy (?) result.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Tabac friends warn you.jpg

Other than the smell, Tabac is a good soap.​
Tabac. Chin Whiskers hate the smell.480..jpg
baby skunk's like tabac (meme) 480..png

I have no idea how anyone can stand being anywhere near that scent.

It reminds me of things I won't mention in human company.​
Adult Skunk Hates Tabac. (meme).jpg

Proving once again that we're all different otherwise known as YMMV.

If you like it, and I'm not around, stick with it. If I'm around, I'll leave. Rapidly.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
View attachment 1206720
Other than the smell, Tabac is a good soap.​
View attachment 1206721
View attachment 1206718
I have no idea how anyone can stand being anywhere near that scent.

It reminds me of things I won't mention in human company.​
View attachment 1206719

Proving once again that we're all different otherwise known as YMMV.

If you like it, and I'm not around, stick with it. If I'm around, I'll leave. Rapidly.

Happy shaves,

Jim
But Jim, doesn't Fine make an unscented version with the same exact ingredients and performance? :confused1

Top Bottom