What's new

Diary (& questions) of a relative newbie

M

mtcn77

Yes, it could. The weird thing is, I've already experimented with blade angle, direction of stroke, number of passes, short versus long strokes, pressure, giving airpressure in my cheek, trying to pull the skin straight, .... you name it. And everytime, my right cheeck is less smooth than my left cheek.
I used to get redness on my left cheek, too. However, it didn't feel smooth, I liked the right side all around.
I started shaving with a milder blade and a couple more passes in order to fix the variance. It takes time, but is more straight forward.

Gillette 7o'clock SS (green) (7th), Proraso Red soap, Prorazo Red AS.

Two passes (WTG/ATG).
I did actually crack the right hand cheek puzzle. Yet another supersmooth result.
The Prorazo leaves my skin feel rather greasy. Must be the AS. Of which I used a lot this morning (the large bottle has too wide an opening)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm always curious how long products last. So I'm keeping track of the number of times I've used soaps/creams. Current status:
TOBS sandalwood cream: 50
Palmolive Men Classic stick : 50
Wilkinson puck (blue tub) : 50
Proraso Red soap : 37
Tabac soap (glass jar): 35

Gillette 7o'clock SS (green) (8th), Proraso Red soap, Prorazo Red AS.

Two passes (WTG/ATG).
Fairly good result. I'll be replacing the blade. 8 two-pass shaves is exactly the same number my previous green Gillettes lasted.
Then there's this other thing I already noticed yesterday: my brush, a Mühle Silvertip fibre M (my only one a part from some weird thing we got during my military service) feels softer with the Proraso red soap than with the previous Wilkinson. Not the lather but the hairs of the brush. How weird is that?

I'm always curious how long products last. So I'm keeping track of the number of times I've used soaps/creams. Current status:
Proraso Red soap : 38

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Then there's this other thing I already noticed yesterday: my brush, a Mühle Silvertip fibre M (my only one a part from some weird thing we got during my military service) feels softer with the Proraso red soap than with the previous Wilkinson. Not the lather but the hairs of the brush. How weird is that?

Better lubrication between bristles and face? I have a very small array of brushes (two primary brushes, and a couple of spares which get occasional use), and if the brush feels scratchy when I'm lathering, I know I have some tweaking to do, in order to get a pleasant shave. However, the brush feel can also tell me if it's too rich, as well as not rich enough, and that too can adversely affect my shaves.

If the brush feel is right, the razor feel is most likely going to be right too.

Better lubrication between bristles and face? I have a very small array of brushes (two primary brushes, and a couple of spares which get occasional use), and if the brush feels scratchy when I'm lathering, I know I have some tweaking to do, in order to get a pleasant shave. However, the brush feel can also tell me if it's too rich, as well as not rich enough, and that too can adversely affect my shaves.

If the brush feel is right, the razor feel is most likely going to be right too.
Now there are some insights that go far beyond my level of experience. The 'relative newbie' still very much applies to me/this thread.

Polsilver (2nd), Proraso Red soap, Nivea Sensitive balm, Prorazo Red AS.

Two passes (WTG/ATG).
Exelent shaving, DFS result. Had to be extra carefully on the lower neck. The part that is most prone to irritation got stung twice yesterday evening working in the field. (Hence also the Nivea balm).

Proraso Red soap : 40

Polsilver (3rd), Proraso Red soap, Prorazo Red AS.

Two passes (WTG/ATG).
Good shaving, CCS result. Two small red dots, one of them on the upperlip. (A little over enthousiastic at the XTG pass)

Proraso Red soap : 41

Polsilver (4th), Proraso Red soap, Prorazo Red AS.

Two passes (WTG/ATG).
Good shaving, DFS result. Only took a WTG pass on the upper lip. Showered after shaving (and after aftershaving) so the smell of the Proraso Red was diminished to a minimum. Okay for my wife.

Proraso Red soap : 42

Polsilver (6th), Proraso Red soap, Prorazo Red AS.

Two passes (WTG/ATG).
Good shaving, CCS result. Still being extra carefull on my upperlip.
I'll be switching blades tomorrowmorning.

Proraso Red soap : 44

Gillette 7o'clock SharpEdge (yellow) (1st), Proraso Red soap, Prorazo Red AS.

Two passes (WTG/ATG).
Excellent shaving, DFS result. The new blade felt less sharp than I remembered. But it dit do a very fine job. And pleasant too. So too early to tell, but it might keep it's place in the first tier for me.

Proraso Red soap : 45

Gillette 7o'clock SharpEdge (yellow) (2nd), Proraso Red soap, Prorazo Red AS.

Two passes (WTG/ATG).
Excellent shaving, CCS result. Did get one red dot on my chin trying too hard to get it supersmooth. The soap is starting to show a serious pit in the middle. I'll post a new version of the soaps after 35 shaves when all soaps have reached 50 shaves.

Proraso Red soap : 46

Gillette 7o'clock SharpEdge (yellow) (3rd), Proraso Red soap, Prorazo Red AS.

Two passes (WTG/ATG).
Excellent shaving, DFS result. No red dots, no irritation. Took a nice hot shower after shaving, thus reducing the Proraso smell to a level only I can notice. And only by paying close attention.

Proraso Red soap : 47

Gillette 7o'clock SharpEdge (yellow) (4th), Proraso Red soap, Prorazo Red AS.

Two passes (WTG/ATG).
Excellent shaving, actually a BBS result. With one very small red dot. The BBS is accidentally. As a matter of fact, I prefer DFS. Still, very nice start of the day.

Proraso Red soap : 48

Gillette 7o'clock SharpEdge (yellow) (6th), Proraso Red soap, Prorazo Red AS.

Two passes (WTG/ATG).
Excellent shaving, at least a DFS result. No red dots, no irritation.
Last day of Proraso red. My wife'll be pleased. Tomorrow Tabac (I'll be pleased)

Proraso Red soap : 50

Gillette 7o'clock SharpEdge (yellow) (7th), Tabac soap, Tabac AS

Two passes (WTG/ATG).
Excellent shaving, no red dots, no irritation, no forgotten areas.
Finally got back to 15 days of Tabac. A joy I must say. A joy to load, to face-lather, to shave, so after-shave (if that's a verb at all).

Tabac soap (glass jar): 36

Gillette Platinum (2nd), Tabac soap, Tabac AS

Two passes (WTG/ATG).
Excellent shaving, close to BBS. Especially my chin and upperlip are supersmooth.
I like the combination with the bodysoap 'Lui' by La Maison du Savon de Marseille a lot.
(by the way: 'Lui' is French for 'him/his', but in my mothertongue means lazy :wink2: )

Tabac soap (glass jar): 38

Gillette Platinum (3rd), Tabac soap, Tabac AS

Two passes (WTG/ATG).
Excellent shaving, full CCS. No red dots, no irritation. I fear I'll need to move this blade to the first tier. Though I like the 7o'clocks more, just for the fun of it.

Tabac soap (glass jar): 39

Gillette Platinum (5th), Tabac soap, Tabac AS

Two passes (WTG/ATG).
Excellent shaving, BBS even. One very small red dot, no irritation. Quite sth different than yesterday. Normally I shave 'round 7o'clock. Yesterday, only round 1PM. Red dots everywhere. Irritation all over my neck. Not a fun shave. Today, back to normal.

Tabac soap (glass jar): 41

Top Bottom