What's new

Diary (& questions) of a relative newbie

Gillette Platinum (3rd), Palmolive stick, Pitralon Classic AS.

Two passes (WTG/ATG).
Another series of fine shaves (both process and result). Not the slightest red dot or irritation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm always curious how long products last. So I'm keeping track of the number of times I've used soaps/creams. Current status:
TOBS sandalwood cream: 50
Palmolive Men Classic stick : 48
Wilkinson puck (blue tub) : 35
Proraso Red soap : 35
Tabac soap (glass jar): 35

Gillette Platinum (4th), Palmolive stick, Nivea Sensitive Balm, Pitralon Classic AS.

Two passes (WTG/ATG).
The series of good shaves more or less continues. Just two small red dots on the neck and a DFS result.
Tomorrow last Palmolive shave before switching to the Wilkinson/Pinaud combo.

I'm always curious how long products last. So I'm keeping track of the number of times I've used soaps/creams. Current status:
Palmolive Men Classic stick : 49

Gillette Platinum (5th), Palmolive stick, Nivea Sensitive Balm, Pitralon Classic AS.

Two passes (WTG/ATG).
Excellent shave, almost DFS (which is fine for today) without any red dots or irritation. That was the last Palmolive for some time. Not exactly looking forward to the Wilkinson/Pinaud combo. Stil have a love-hate relationship with the Wilkinson smell. And I don't really like the dominant cloves aroma of the Pinaud bay rum.
BUT I do get to pick another bodysoap to go with it. That at least could prove fun.

Palmolive Men Classic stick : 50

Gillette Platinum (8th), Wilkinson soap (blue tub), Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum.

Two passes (WTG/ATG).
Even this 8th two-pass shave with the Gillette Platinum is pleasant with a highly acceptable endresult. Third day the Wilkinson tub is back in rotation. I don't like it or dislike it. I like the way it intrigues me. And the combination with the Pinaud bay rum does work. Even if I'm not a fan of the dominant cloves aroma when splashing it on.

And I did pick another 'Maison du Savon de Marseille' bodysoap. The Demon. Does more or less the same as the Wilkinson: it intrigues.

Wilkinson puck (blue tub) : 38

Voskhod (1st), Wilkinson soap (blue tub), Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum.

Two passes (WTG/ATG).
The first shave with the new Voskhod blade felt more agressive than I remembered. But no irritation, let alone red dots or worse. DFS, so I'm happy.

Wilkinson puck (blue tub) : 39

Voskhod (2nd), Wilkinson soap (blue tub), Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum.

Two passes (WTG/ATG).
The ATG on the right lower neck resulted in a minefield of red dots. This has always been the most sensitive area, most prone to red dots. But seldom as bad as today. No ATG on this area for a few days.

Wilkinson puck (blue tub) : 40

Voskhod (3rd), Wilkinson soap (blue tub), Nivea Sensitive balm, Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum.

Two passes (WTG/ATG).
The ATG on the right lower neck resulted in a minefield of red dots yesterday. I planned on going easy on this area for the comming days. And so I did. I also changed directions slightly on that area. I was actually doing XTG/XTG/ATG on that area all the time. So now I paid more attention to the direction of the hairgrowth and finally did an WTG/XTG. Worked beautifully. No irritation, no red dots.

Wilkinson puck (blue tub) : 41

Voskhod (4th), Wilkinson soap (blue tub), Saponificio Varesino 70th AS (sample)

Two passes (WTG/ATG).
I'm so happy I finally worked out how to shave the bottom right part of my neck! Excellent shave, excellent result.

Wilkinson puck (blue tub) : 42

Voskhod (6th), Wilkinson soap (blue tub), Saponificio Varesino 70th AS (sample)

Two passes (WTG/ATG).
Great shave, excellent result. I'm actually growing fond of the smell of the Wilkinson soap. I couldn't describe the smell. Other than 'soapy'. But the fascination starts to tilt towards liking.

Wilkinson puck (blue tub) : 44

Voskhod (7th), Wilkinson soap (blue tub), Nivea Sensitive balm, Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum.

Two passes (WTG/ATG).
Good shave, good result. I guess I've taken the Voskhod one shave too far. It felt like the blade was angry that it had to perform yet another shave and it started to tear at my hair.

Wilkinson puck (blue tub) : 45

Gillette 7o'clock SS (green) (1st), Wilkinson soap (blue tub), Nivea Sensitive balm, Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum.

Two passes (WTG/ATG).
Excellent shave, good result. The Voskhod for now will remain in the top tier for me. Curious how the Gillette SS wil perform, now my technique is getting more or less stable. 1st shave was a excellent process with a very nice result.

Wilkinson puck (blue tub) : 46

Last edited:
Gillette 7o'clock SS (green) (2nd), Wilkinson soap (blue tub), Nivea Sensitive balm, Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum.

Two passes (WTG/ATG).
Excellent shave, good result. The Gillette is questioning my technique. My right cheek is less smooth than my left cheek. More noticable than with sharper blades I guess. Can only be the angle, right?

Wilkinson puck (blue tub) : 47

I suppose in theory it could also be amount of pressure or direction of stroke.
Yes, it could. The weird thing is, I've already experimented with blade angle, direction of stroke, number of passes, short versus long strokes, pressure, giving airpressure in my cheek, trying to pull the skin straight, .... you name it. And everytime, my right cheeck is less smooth than my left cheek.

Gillette 7o'clock SS (green) (3rd), Wilkinson soap (blue tub), Nivea Sensitive balm, Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum.

Two passes (WTG/ATG).
Excellent shave, good result. I'm really starting to question whether to keep the Gillette green in my top tier. The one reason to keep it there: problem-free shaving. No red dots or anything. Let's give it a few more days.

Wilkinson puck (blue tub) : 48

Yes, it could. The weird thing is, I've already experimented with blade angle, direction of stroke, number of passes, short versus long strokes, pressure, giving airpressure in my cheek, trying to pull the skin straight, .... you name it. And everytime, my right cheeck is less smooth than my left cheek.

I've paid extra attention to the little differences (not talking 'bout the hash bars). And I noticed the comfortable way I wrap my left hand fingers round the razor is a little different from the natural comfortable way my right hand fingers do the job. So I tried to use my right hand fingers in exactly the same way. 1. It felt unnatural. 2. The result is slightly closer.
So next days, I'll be experimenting with that grip.

Gillette 7o'clock SS (green) (4th), Wilkinson soap (blue tub), Nivea Sensitive balm, Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum.

Two passes (WTG/ATG).
Excellent shave, good result. Very nice job on the upper lip (WTG/XTG).

Wilkinson puck (blue tub) : 49

Gillette 7o'clock SS (green) (5th), Wilkinson soap (blue tub), Nivea Sensitive balm, Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum.

Two passes (WTG/ATG).
I tried to really copy the way my lefthand fingers grip. And it worked. My right cheek was just as smooth as my left one. Holding the razor like that felt unnatural, but it did work. Jihaa!

Wilkinson puck (blue tub) : 50

Gillette 7o'clock SS (green) (6th), Proraso Red soap, Prorazo Red AS.

Two passes (WTG/ATG).
Yesterday wasn't a lucky shot. I repeated the procedure and got the same smooth results on my richt cheek. Looks like I've cracked it!
First day of Proraso going back in rotation. My wife entering the bathroom: "too strong this". Indeed, it does have a potent smell. With some notes she really doesn't like. So I went light on the AS. Curious how she'll (dis)like it in two hours when she gets back.

Wilkinson puck (blue tub) : 50
Proraso Red soap : 36

Top Bottom