What's new

Decent Inexpensive Automatic Watches

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
It's an "AliX" watch - a cheap, disposable watch initially sold on AliExpress. Likely a Seagull movement (a Chinese movement based on an old Swiss one); not terrible, but not great - I'm actually wearing a watch with one in it right now. At sub-$200 for an automatic watch you are pretty much stuck with Seiko/Orient/Casio/Timex.

You should look up Long Island Watches and take a look at their Islander line. They have a Seiko NH36 movement and are well thought of in the watch world. Several different designs without a date, and right at $199.

You said that quartz (battery) watches never last more than 6 months - that's not my experience at all. I've had ones last close to 10 years.
I have had them run backwards, digitals that run fine on the table and go blank when I put them on. I have a half dozen dead in a box right now.

First, the suggestion to look at Long Island watch is a good one. Several watches at $199 in various styles - including no date autos.
Another option you could consider is looking at a "photo copier" AliExpress type brand. Pagani Design is one I've heard a lot about. They have fairly blatant copies of an explorer if that's what you're really wanting. Seiko movements mostly. That may be your best bet.
One other note on batteries. I actually attempted to change my own watch battery. Then I discovered the batteries are not standard (different watches needed different batteries) AND the watch I really wanted to change required a tiny screw driver that I cannot find. Even taking it to a Batteries Plus and they didn't have the screwdriver. So you could get lucky and do it on your own, but it could require stocking more batteries than you'd like as well.

ylekot

First, the suggestion to look at Long Island watch is a good one. Several watches at $199 in various styles - including no date autos.
Another option you could consider is looking at a "photo copier" AliExpress type brand. Pagani Design is one I've heard a lot about. They have fairly blatant copies of an explorer if that's what you're really wanting. Seiko movements mostly. That may be your best bet.
One other note on batteries. I actually attempted to change my own watch battery. Then I discovered the batteries are not standard (different watches needed different batteries) AND the watch I really wanted to change required a tiny screw driver that I cannot find. Even taking it to a Batteries Plus and they didn't have the screwdriver. So you could get lucky and do it on your own, but it could require stocking more batteries than you'd like as well.
Yeah they don't always make it easy. Thanks for the information.

It's an "AliX" watch - a cheap, disposable watch initially sold on AliExpress. Likely a Seagull movement (a Chinese movement based on an old Swiss one); not terrible, but not great - I'm actually wearing a watch with one in it right now. At sub-$200 for an automatic watch you are pretty much stuck with Seiko/Orient/Casio/Timex.

You should look up Long Island Watches and take a look at their Islander line. They have a Seiko NH36 movement and are well thought of in the watch world. Several different designs without a date, and right at $199.

You said that quartz (battery) watches never last more than 6 months - that's not my experience at all. I've had ones last close to 10 years.
My Timex Weekender lasted about 10 years on its first battery. They and probably other brands make quartz watches that claim to run for 10 years on a battery. Movements powered by larger cells like 2016 or 2032 can last much longer than 3 years like the movements with smaller batteries.

The original Weekender does not have a day/date wheel, just the time. I think they now offer models in larger sizes and a chronograph version, but the original 38mm(?) basic field/military style can still be found in a few different dial colors for less than $50. It is a great value IMO.

Legion

Staff member
I also got sick of having quartz watches with flat batteries lying around, and the eco-drive solved that problem, they make all sorts of different looking models, not all busy, as you described it.

DSC00306.JPG
Option two is watches out of china, which again can be as simple or busy as you want them to be. They come in auto or manual, and are usually under your budget.

$(KGrHqQOKjwE6ngy7(uKBOuNuquvkQ~~60_12.JPG
$(KGrHqUOKi0E6cQpbLF7BOuNuqqw,g~~60_12.JPG

Russian, again under your budget, and come in all sorts of styles.

IMG_0241.jpg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Here’s what I use for an every day watch: CASIO Men's MW600F-2AV Sport Watch with Black Resin Band https://a.co/d/9n591pj

Cheap, blue dial, 10 year battery life. I like the resin case, because my sweat destroys some cheap watch cases.

ylekot

I also got sick of having quartz watches with flat batteries lying around, and the eco-drive solved that problem, they make all sorts of different looking models, not all busy, as you described it.

View attachment 1531510.
Option two is watches out of china, which again can be as simple or busy as you want them to be. They come in auto or manual, and are usually under your budget.

View attachment 1531511View attachment 1531512

View attachment 1531515
I love that black and orange!!!!

I had/have some very nice watches without the date. Now I wear my seiko monster almost exclusively because it has a date. Any excuse NOT to pull my phone out is a bonus for me. If I could arrange a carrier pigeon that would alert me for BST offerings, I might just leave my phone at home more.

ylekot

I had/have some very nice watches without the date. Now I wear my seiko monster almost exclusively because it has a date. Any excuse NOT to pull my phone out is a bonus for me. If I could arrange a carrier pigeon that would alert me for BST offerings, I might just leave my phone at home more.
I just can't see the damn date without my glasses. for some reason having it there and not being able to read it bugs me. Welcome to my brain, it's dark and cluttered, don't trip...

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I often ignore the little date. I know it's there, but so what? But I know the tendency to let little things bug me... too many to count, I'm sure. My cheap Casio... it's a real hassle.... you have keep turning the hands 24 hours to get the date to change. Two of my watches have a single click when you pull out the stem and that changes the date. Sometimes, with the Casio, I get the date set up.. sometimes, I don't. <eg>

ylekot

View attachment 1531510.

View attachment 1531511View attachment 1531512

View attachment 1531515The radio room dial is great! That will fit nicely with my job. Yep that's my next watch. Thank you!!

I would go 2nd hand and vintage - anything with a good ETA movement will last still be on your wrist when they lower you into the ground.

I have an old Waltham which was my grandfather’s - I wear it as a daily watch on and off for a few months at a time. It’s about 60 years old, I service it about every 5 years of so and is going strong.

I agree with Orient, Eco drive(I need one), Vostok but stateside because the place I get mine isn't currently shipping here lol. Mine runs 20ish seconds fast. Long Island I completely agree with. Also I have a great ultra accurate Swiss movement from Deep Blue. They have several other lines for great prices. Their site is cheesy but they seem to make good stuff. It's another rabbit hole.

ylekot

Thanks for all the replies folks. I am sticking with quartz battery powered watches, and when they die I will throw it out and buy another cheap watch. Or I'll stop wearing one altogether. It is redundant after all.

Legion

Staff member
Thanks for all the replies folks. I am sticking with quartz battery powered watches, and when they die I will throw it out and buy another cheap watch. Or I'll stop wearing one altogether. It is redundant after all.
just get a solar one, and skip the throwing out bit.

Seiko or Orient, on the cheap, or maybe a Hamilton Khaki Field if you want to spend a bit more.

And yes, you may also want to consider the cost of servicing the watch, if you buy a higher-end watch. I have an Omega Speedmaster that will likely cost ten to twenty times the cost of buying a new department store Casio watch, just to get it cleaned, oiled, and timed. Most folks don't want to pay that (I know I don't) but when I'm gone that will be someone else's problem.

Top Bottom