What's new

Fire & Rescue Watch Help

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Glad things have been working well so far. G-Shocks have a great reputation for a good reason.
Regarding watch sizes, one thing you may want to look at equally to case diameter is lug to lug. I have a small wrist as well, but find lug to lug may be as much if not more important than case diameter.
Regarding the Vostok...is that the model with the fully lumed face? I could see where that would be a benefit.
The face isn't fully lumed, just the hour pips and the hands (plus the second sweep). I've got a watch with a fully lumed face headed my way -- did I mention that I've fallen into a rabbit hole? -- but the white face with black lettering is soooooo easy for my eyes to see and read the time quickly. I also have to say that I like the rubber strap it came with. I thought for sure it would be a throw away. Now that said, the strap must be made for some significantly-large wrists....I'm on the last hole with the strap.

I appreciate your comment on lug-to-lug sizing.....I think you're right, that seems to be at least as important (if not more so) when it comes to how it looks and wears on my wrist.

Flintstone65

And I'm back....this time with a few slight mods on my Vostok Amphibia; and this one has now become my "go to" watch for running calls. It's been to a knife-versus-shotgun domestic disturbance call (one guess as to who won that one), a call for a 7 year-old who got run over by his ATV (he had a helicopter ride that I'm sure he'll never remember, but he's alive), and a house fire that took over 6,000 gallons to put out. So far it's still ticking...albeit about 20 seconds too fast per day.

I've mentioned that I like the black text on a white dial, and I really, really do. But I wasn't overly impressed with the bezel, so I found one that I think not only compliments the watch (black with white text), but is also fully lumed (the text that is). The strap that came with it is actually decent; but I replaced it with a black tropical, which is thinner and cooler (temp-wise) feeling. The watch is inexpensive (even with the new bezel and strap); but I'm starting to feel VERY attached, and I don't really want the watch to get clobbered....and I'm still wanting a G-Shock.

I've got a Komandirski (the Emercom -- Russia's version of FEMA) and I've replaced the bezel and strap on that as well. That said, the dial is black, and not nearly as readable as the Amphibia....at least with my old eyes. I've also got a Steel Dive 1970 arriving (it was on sale for $80) and I'm curious to see how it looks on wrist. The lume on Steel Dives appears (on Youtube vids) to be strong, and while I'd rather have an actual Seiko 6105-8110 or even Seiko SBP151/SBP153, I'm not ready to spend that much money.

But I digress....let's look at my current service watch....here is a small before-and-after of the Amphibia 120813:
proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

And here is the lume shot:
proxy.php

And I'm back....this time with a few slight mods on my Vostok Amphibia; and this one has now become my "go to" watch for running calls. It's been to a knife-versus-shotgun domestic disturbance call (one guess as to who won that one), a call for a 7 year-old who got run over by his ATV (he had a helicopter ride that I'm sure he'll never remember, but he's alive), and a house fire that took over 6,000 gallons to put out. So far it's still ticking...albeit about 20 seconds too fast per day.

I've mentioned that I like the black text on a white dial, and I really, really do. But I wasn't overly impressed with the bezel, so I found one that I think not only compliments the watch (black with white text), but is also fully lumed (the text that is). The strap that came with it is actually decent; but I replaced it with a black tropical, which is thinner and cooler (temp-wise) feeling. The watch is inexpensive (even with the new bezel and strap); but I'm starting to feel VERY attached, and I don't really want the watch to get clobbered....and I'm still wanting a G-Shock.

I've got a Komandirski (the Emercom -- Russia's version of FEMA) and I've replaced the bezel and strap on that as well. That said, the dial is black, and not nearly as readable as the Amphibia....at least with my old eyes. I've also got a Steel Dive 1970 arriving (it was on sale for $80) and I'm curious to see how it looks on wrist. The lume on Steel Dives appears (on Youtube vids) to be strong, and while I'd rather have an actual Seiko 6105-8110 or even Seiko SBP151/SBP153, I'm not ready to spend that much money.

But I digress....let's look at my current service watch....here is a small before-and-after of the Amphibia 120813:
proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

And here is the lume shot:
proxy.php
Great choice on the bezel this increases the usability in low light tenfold!

Flintstone65

A quick photo-less update -- but photos will be a coming....

So Amazon finally dropped the price on the G-Shock that I've been eyeing, and the order is in: the Casio GWM5610. It is seemingly a touch smaller than some of it's brethren, it has that throwback look to 1983 (the year I graduated high school), and I like stuff with red touches (speaks to my inner-fireman, I guess). Having now gone through several house fires, multiple vehicle extrications, and countless medical calls with the Vostok, I'm still a HUGE fan....it has held up beyond any reasonable expectation, and it will still be in rotation for straight-up medical calls; but I think the G-Shock will be the go-to for any call where I'm having to grab a halligan or one of the Hurst tools....or I'm fighting an overcharged-line while my buddy figures out how to get his SCBA on.

The Steel Dive 1970 arrived the other day, and my first impression of it is....:drool: I've also got a Komandirskie, but the black dial is not my friend, and while I did some modding on it, it's low-water resistance and not-the-best-readability for my eyes, means it spends a lot time in the drawer. I'll be back to pop some photos of all of these watches here....just to "tie-off" this thread. I'm hoping to hit the breaks on my watch acquisition.....the LOTH has been patient with my 3-digit-sized razor collection, but I don't see her jumping on the "just-one-more-watch" bandwagon.

I can't thank (and simultaneously curse) you good gents enough for the introduction, help, guidance and enablement. :001_smile

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
This is the watch I took pulses with for years, and it's been years since I took pulses for a living. AND it still on the original battery, I THINK. I got it as NOS at the Goodwill store probably 12 years ago or so. And I have skinny wrists!

But might be the best $5 watch I ever bought:
16242237120562060935015345363765.jpg

Flintstone65

This is the watch I took pulses with for years, and it's been years since I took pulses for a living. AND it still on the original battery, I THINK. I got it as NOS at the Goodwill store probably 12 years ago or so. And I have skinny wrists!

But might be the best $5 watch I ever bought:
View attachment 1284666
I like it!!! I'll confess that I do rely on the pulse-oximeter and auto-bp cuff more than I should, but when it comes to getting respiration, I've got no choice but the "old fashioned" stare and count. And I almost always go with the "let me check your pulse" then place their hand on their stomach or lower chest as I appear to be checking their radial-pulse; but I'm actually counting respirations based on the movement of their chest/stomach for 15 to 30 seconds (depending on their patience and how many respiration speed). When I first started running medical calls, I remember practicing on my wife -- and before I learned the radial-pulse-respiration technique -- she would pointedly asked why I was gawking at her chest....she assured me that my female patients (and perhaps even the male ones) would be very uncomfortable if I didn't come up with a more discreet method. Thank goodness for Youtube.

Anyhoo, I will take a manual pulse and bp when push-comes-to-shove, and the white dial with black lettering and hands is definitely the way to go! My only concern is that I don't see any lume on your Timex, although I'm guessing you didn't need any in your environment -- hospital lights kick-butt; but between my "old eyes" and the pre-hospital environment (you may not believe how dark some of the people keep their homes), I really need the lume in some of these places...or I could pop on the flashlight. And wait...I think I see the magic word "Indiglo" on the dial.....excellent!!!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I like it!!! I'll confess that I do rely on the pulse-oximeter and auto-bp cuff more than I should, but when it comes to getting respiration, I've got no choice but the "old fashioned" stare and count. And I almost always go with the "let me check your pulse" then place their hand on their stomach or lower chest as I appear to be checking their radial-pulse; but I'm actually counting respirations based on the movement of their chest/stomach for 15 to 30 seconds (depending on their patience and how many respiration speed). When I first started running medical calls, I remember practicing on my wife -- and before I learned the radial-pulse-respiration technique -- she would pointedly asked why I was gawking at her chest....she assured me that my female patients (and perhaps even the male ones) would be very uncomfortable if I didn't come up with a more discreet method. Thank goodness for Youtube.

Anyhoo, I will take a manual pulse and bp when push-comes-to-shove, and the white dial with black lettering and hands is definitely the way to go! My only concern is that I don't see any lume on your Timex, although I'm guessing you didn't need any in your environment -- hospital lights kick-butt; but between my "old eyes" and the pre-hospital environment (you may not believe how dark some of the people keep their homes), I really need the lume in some of these places...or I could pop on the flashlight. And wait...I think I see the magic word "Indiglo" on the dial.....excellent!!!
Thanks for all you do my friend. It's the best thing in the world, serving others.

Top Bottom