What's new

Fire & Rescue Watch Help

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Get a NATO or ZULU strap. Since they're cloth, they won't feel hot during summer nor cold in winter. Best of all, they're cheap and can be washed. You'll appreciate the latter when you start to perspire (and given your line of work, you're all but guaranteed to do so). Silicon and rubber straps straps will be a tad bit more "sticky" and less breathable. Metal bracelets will be even worse (especially in the summer). Sure, you can probably adapt to them, but why bother? Get some NATOs or ZULUs and enjoy changing up how your watch looks every now and again.

Oh, to make changing the bracelet easier, get yourself a good springbar tool.
I have heard this from several folks, and I think you're absolutely right. I pushed some buttons tonight, and I went with the Invicta and some NATO straps. I'll be back with pics when everything arrives. In true "Acquisition Disorder" fashion (I guess it's called WAD....honestly, there has to be a better acronym, it's definitely not as cool sounding as RAD), I'm already sort of browsing around for another one, you know, just in case this isn't THE one. ;)

I have heard this from several folks, and I think you're absolutely right. I pushed some buttons tonight, and I went with the Invicta and some NATO straps. I'll be back with pics when everything arrives. In true "Acquisition Disorder" fashion (I guess it's called WAD....honestly, there has to be a better acronym, it's definitely not as cool sounding as RAD), I'm already sort of browsing around for another one, you know, just in case this isn't THE one. ;)
I bought my first automatic watch about 8 years ago. It was an Orient Mako. Right after that, I bought another automatic watch, a Seiko black Monster. Shortly thereafter, I acquired quite a few more automatic watches, including a Seiko SARB035 and a Seiko SARB065. I'm well acquainted with the acquisition disorder you mentioned. 😁

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I bought my first automatic watch about 8 years ago. It was an Orient Mako. Right after that, I bought another automatic watch, a Seiko black Monster. Shortly thereafter, I acquired quite a few more automatic watches, including a Seiko SARB035 and a Seiko SARB065. I'm well acquainted with the acquisition disorder you mentioned. 😁
That’s the huge “problem” with the new sekio models. The price point adds to acquisition disorder.

That’s the huge “problem” with the new sekio models. The price point adds to acquisition disorder.
Seiko recently raised the prices on its watches. The entry level automatic diver watches are now (at least) twice as expensive as before. The same applies to the automatic dress watches. Fortunately, I'm not fond of how the new Seiko divers look with the Prospex X on the dial. Similarly, I'm not fond of the new Seiko dress watches.

Orient still has some lower priced entry level automatic watches, though the US Orient watch site has moved away from its 30%+ discounts.

If Citizen had more automatics, I might start looking into them, now. 😁

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Seiko recently raised the prices on its watches. The entry level automatic diver watches are now (at least) twice as expensive as before. The same applies to the automatic dress watches. Fortunately, I'm not fond of how the new Seiko divers look with the Prospex X on the dial. Similarly, I'm not fond of the new Seiko dress watches.

Orient still has some lower priced entry level automatic watches, though the US Orient watch site has moved away from its 30%+ discounts.

If Citizen had more automatics, I might start looking into them, now. 😁
Ymmv. For my money the new seiko. Example the Prospex SPB149 present unbelievable value. Quality and in-house movement and history That rival famous Swiss watches.

Ymmv. For my money the new seiko. Example the Prospex SPB149 present unbelievable value. Quality and in-house movement and history That rival famous Swiss watches.
Yeah, I'm just not too fond of the Prospex X on the divers. I'm also not fond of the price increase.

I bought my black monster (SKX779) on rubber for about $125 ten years ago. I bought a Seiko bracelet (49X8JG) for about $50. That comes out to about $175 for both the rubber and steel bracelets.

The new Prospex monsters sells for $300 on rubber. A new (49X8JG) bracelet cost $70 now. That comes out to $370. Even leaving out the bracelets, that's still over twice what I originally paid ten years ago.

Yet, the only real change in the monster is the different movement. The gen 1 monster has a 7s26 while the new monster has a 4r36. The fit and finish of the old monster is roughly the same as that of the new. The same factories are producing the watches. The materials are pretty much the same. There's no reason for the price to have doubled on the Seiko monster (or for that matter, any other Seiko watch).

Seiko's reason for increasing the price is that the new president wants Seiko to move upmarket. In other words, he wants to charge more just to appeal to people who think something that costs more must be better. In short, it's a money grab intended to take advantage of people new to automatic watches and are unfamiliar with Seiko's original prices.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Yeah, I'm just not too fond of the Prospex X on the divers. I'm also not fond of the price increase.

I bought my black monster (SKX779) on rubber for about $125 ten years ago. I bought a Seiko bracelet (49X8JG) for about $50. That comes out to about $175 for both the rubber and steel bracelets.

The new Prospex monsters sells for $300 on rubber. A new (49X8JG) bracelet cost $70 now. That comes out to $370. Even leaving out the bracelets, that's still over twice what I originally paid ten years ago.

Yet, the only real change in the monster is the different movement. The gen 1 monster has a 7s26 while the new monster has a 4r36. The fit and finish of the old monster is roughly the same as that of the new. The same factories are producing the watches. The materials are pretty much the same. There's no reason for the price to have doubled on the Seiko monster (or for that matter, any other Seiko watch).

Seiko's reason for increasing the price is that the new president wants Seiko to move upmarket. In other words, he wants to charge more just to appeal to people who think something that costs more must be better. In short, it's a money grab intended to take advantage of people new to automatic watches and are unfamiliar with Seiko's original prices.
Good points. But in terms of price increases look at Swiss watches. I have a SKX007 bought 4 or so years ago right before the price jumped dramatically (in fact back then I joked that the isophrane strap cost more than the watch) but compared to the SPB149 it’s no contest on terms of fit finish. The case. The weight and feel. The bezel. The markers and lume. The crown (it isn’t scratchy) The quality is insane. Luckily I was able to score it used at a discount. Granted the price point has jumped but it’s not just an image or marketing thing. Seiko is the next hot brand. Look at the price of vintage seiko pieces. In the last 2-3 years prices have literally skyrocketed.

Here’s what I wear on duty. A plain old G-Shock 5600.

I’ve worn all kinds of watches to work over the years. But It all came down to size, visibility and cost. Size is actually a big deal. I started off wearing a Seiko SKX to work all the time, then a SRP. But they kept getting hung up on my turnout cuff and my medical jacket donning and doffing. Plus. Now that we have this crazy Covid thing and we have to wear protective gowns over our jackets it was even more important to wear a watch that is low profile and can get in and out of gear smoothly.

I cracked the crystal on a Seiko SNZG15 wiping the truck and banging it underneath. And I also broke a SRP Turtle. It fell off my bunk onto the concrete in the dorm and messed up the hairspring. I had to replace the movement after that.

So I stopped wearing nice watches on duty. I keep this Casio and a Timex Ironman in my locker and I change my watch when I get dressed at work.
C9DFFECC-9361-4A24-A719-17565AB94979.jpeg

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Thank you -- that was the info/nudge I needed. :001_smile
If it lasts a full minute to 90 seconds, I should be fine. Most of the vids I've seen do seem to get at least 60 seconds -- it's not Seiko-like-lume (in terms of brightness), but I'm hoping it'll be bright-enough for me to see.

Okay, I'm taking the plunge....you'd think I was buying a Rolex Submariner as much as I've been toiling over this decision. I'll keep you all posted on the watch and how things go.

Quick strap question -- anybody replace their Pro Diver strap/bracelet with something else? I think rubber/silicone is the way to go, and I'm learning towards Barton Elite.
I've gotten some really good silicone straps from Strapsco.com that are both sturdy and comfortable. Great pricing, huge selection, plus fast and free shipping.

Flintstone65

Here’s what I wear on duty. A plain old G-Shock 5600.

I’ve worn all kinds of watches to work over the years. But It all came down to size, visibility and cost. Size is actually a big deal. I started off wearing a Seiko SKX to work all the time, then a SRP. But they kept getting hung up on my turnout cuff and my medical jacket donning and doffing. Plus. Now that we have this crazy Covid thing and we have to wear protective gowns over our jackets it was even more important to wear a watch that is low profile and can get in and out of gear smoothly.

I cracked the crystal on a Seiko SNZG15 wiping the truck and banging it underneath. And I also broke a SRP Turtle. It fell off my bunk onto the concrete in the dorm and messed up the hairspring. I had to replace the movement after that.

So I stopped wearing nice watches on duty. I keep this Casio and a Timex Ironman in my locker and I change my watch when I get dressed at work.
View attachment 1251074
I think you're spot-on with size, visibility and cost -- and your experience with watches on duty is extremely helpful (I especially like the shot right by what looks like a pump control panel to me. I hadn't thought about how the turnout gear gets caught on stuff....I put a small pouch on my belt loop to hold extra gloves for med calls, and it gets caught on the bunker pants every single time I go to pull them on for a fire call. I have to say that the G-Shock, which always struck me as a large looking watch, looks good on your wrist....I measured my measly-looking tiny wrist and was surprised to see that it's actually 6.5 inches (which is definitely on the smaller side, but should be large enough to handle something up to 42mm). All of that to say that I was concerned about having a large'ish watch on my arm, but it may have more to do about the fit (closeness to arm, height and taper) than it does diameter.

Thanks for the input -- this has been really helpful!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

I've been out of active watch-buying mode for a while, so hadn't noticed. But if that's the case, then I'm disappointed in Seiko. Good thing I got mine a while ago.

I think you're spot-on with size, visibility and cost -- and your experience with watches on duty is extremely helpful (I especially like the shot right by what looks like a pump control panel to me. I hadn't thought about how the turnout gear gets caught on stuff....I put a small pouch on my belt loop to hold extra gloves for med calls, and it gets caught on the bunker pants every single time I go to pull them on for a fire call. I have to say that the G-Shock, which always struck me as a large looking watch, looks good on your wrist....I measured my measly-looking tiny wrist and was surprised to see that it's actually 6.5 inches (which is definitely on the smaller side, but should be large enough to handle something up to 42mm). All of that to say that I was concerned about having a large'ish watch on my arm, but it may have more to do about the fit (closeness to arm, height and taper) than it does diameter.

Thanks for the input -- this has been really helpful!

I also gave up on wearing watches with a NATO strap. The straps running under the caseback would raise the watch up to 2mm higher off my wrist. And would cause a teetering motion so that one side would lift when I’m putting gear on and it would cause obstruction. Here’s the Timex I keep in my locker with the DW5600. The Timex Ironman is good for having the countdown-repeat function for interval workouts.
7D9AE59D-2744-4090-AD4C-D0F587A0C3DE.jpeg

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I just saw this post but my G-shock lasted me through 4yrs on a rescue and another 17 on an ambulance. I could not destroy that watch. Get one of the solar models and you never have to worry about batteries or charging it. As soon as I bought it I immediately turned all the alarms off and used the time/date screen only. I can’t tell you what all the other buttons did, never used them. My 3yr old managed to lose it within 10 min of me letting him look at it. I’m pretty sure he opened a door to another universe because I cannot find it anywhere. I’m out of the field now, but when/if I go back I’ll be buying another one.
I hope the watch you bought works for you but if it doesn’t, I’d seriously consider a g-shock.

Flintstone65

As I mentioned, I did pull the trigger on an Invicta Pro Diver Quartz. The price was right (under $50), the size is right (for my baby-wrist) 38mm, and with a nato, single pass adjustable, and/or rubber strap (purchased separately, of course), and lume (which is present on the second hand and "ok/sufficient, but not awesome". So as time goes on, I'll see how it works "in the field" and how long it ultimately lasts, as a result of being "in the field". :001_smile

A few initial reactions:
  1. The quartz is about what I expected. It is keeping steady time (as you would hope with a quartz) and hasn't lost any time over the first few days (synced it to World Time Server); and the second hand perfectly lines up with the second lines...ahem...for approximately 27 seconds....which seems par for the course with a cheapy quartz. Even the 33 seconds where it's "off" of the marks, it isn't horrifically off the marks.

2. The 38mm size is a comfortable size for me, and I do think that I want to try a 40mm watch, and even a 42mm one day and see how I feel about them; but I'm a small watch guy, so this works for me.

3. I resized the bracelet -- I could make a whole amusing post on how a novice with no mechanical skills managed to remove some links -- and while I actually found the bracelet perfectly comfortable, I feel certain that one of the many straps I've ordered will be my go-to attachment pieces for me. I've already put on a cheapy Nato strap, and it looks fine and makes the watch even lighter on my arm.

4. The lume is....there....sort of....it's not great. So it's not nearly as good as my Seiko, but is slightly better than my Casio, and with my UV key chain light, I should be able to charge it quickly in a patient's dark house for checking pulse and respiration rates....but we'll see how it works in practice. I am glad that the second hand has some lume, since that's what I need to keep track of.

5. The bling factor is one thing I hadn't really considered. Aside from the multitude of logos (which I definitely knew about going in), the ultra polished surfaces (bezel ring, watch body, even the crown) make this thing sparkle like a piece of costume jewelry. Most of my calls are in homes and locations where being understated is just being respectful (at least IMO). The inaugural call for this watch was for a 60 year old male who was feeling weak....it turned out he was weak from not leaving his Chevy Suburban for over a week -- he would drive to take-out windows for food, so he never had to exit his vehicle. Needless to say, it wasn't a "shiny watch" call, and 99.9% of them won't be. I may take a Scotch Brite and try and knock the "glitter-look" off of it. It is easy to wash -- thank goodness. And I will say that a $40'ish G-Shock is already in my Amazon cart.
My apologies for my photography skills. My razor pictures aren't great, but they strike me as being Picasso's compared to my watch pics:

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

Once more, I want to thank you all for taking the time to give me your thoughts, experiences and recommendations. I can feel myself being drawn down this "rabbit hole" -- a Casio G-Shock is definitely in my future, and while an auto may not be the best for a workday watch, I really like the Orient divers that folks have recommended. I am now officially "watching" this sub-forum, and I'll also return this thread periodically to update my experience with my work watch(es). :thumbup1:

Last edited:
" I may take a Scotch Brite and try and knock the "glitter-look" off of it."

Great choice, but you know as well as I do as a form tech and paramedic, before you can scotch brite it, it'll have been somewhere real nasty. So it'll soon dull down. 💩💩💩

@Flintstone65 Nice watch! The pro diver Invictas are seriously underrated. I have two 8926 Pro Divers. The 8926 is the 40mm big brother to that quartz. It’s also everyone’s favorite mod-able watch. You might check it out. For under $80 it’s a great watch with an NH35 Seiko automatic movement inside. But beware. Watch modding is yet another hazardous rabbit hole for those of us with a tendency to fall down them...🐇

The Invicta pictured below started its life as a 8926OB. I ground off the Invicta logos, gave the bracelet a brushed look with the scotch brite pad, new hands, dial, bezel ring, and even a new caseback to give it a vintage Submariner look. One thing about Invictas, sometimes they come across a little gaudy.

6F076953-A058-4A34-8EC6-24716A86040B.jpeg
5F4B65C4-D150-4C6D-B053-2D0A88C9D6B2.jpeg

Flintstone65

" I may take a Scotch Brite and try and knock the "glitter-look" off of it."

Great choice, but you know as well as I do as a form tech and paramedic, before you can scotch brite it, it'll have been somewhere real nasty. So it'll soon dull down. 💩💩💩
That is so very true! :yesnod:

Flintstone65

A quick update on this thread. So the Invicta Pro Diver quartz has been holding up fine -- it's gone through a maze trailer training exercise, 2 structure fires (one of which required making entry for search and rescue), along with multiple medical calls -- and so far it looks and works fine. That said, I really think the Casio G-Shock is the way to go -- it probably would've been considered cheating, but I would've killed to be able to have a little illumination from turning my wrist with the G-Shock when I was crawling through that pitch-black maze-trailer. I really want the GWM 5610-1 (Solar and Multiband). My only issue is the current cost....all the reviews talk about how great a watch this is at under $100, but everyone I find is over $100. I'm hoping it will go on sale at some point and I'll make my move. What can I say, I'm pretty cheap.

And speaking of cheap -- I've also fallen down the Vostok rabbit hole. I find this particular model (120813) MUCH easier for me to read than the Invicta, and the lume seems to be better as well. I need to regulate it a bit -- it's running about 40 seconds fast per day. It's supposedly a 40mm case, and you can see how it swallows my wrist. I think I'm going to have to "get over it" when it comes to watch sizes; it seems to be rare to find anything under 40mm, and it feels like the sizes are inching (or "mm'ing") up in size every year.
proxy.php
proxy.php

Glad things have been working well so far. G-Shocks have a great reputation for a good reason.
Regarding watch sizes, one thing you may want to look at equally to case diameter is lug to lug. I have a small wrist as well, but find lug to lug may be as much if not more important than case diameter.
Regarding the Vostok...is that the model with the fully lumed face? I could see where that would be a benefit.

Top Bottom