What's new

Decent Inexpensive Automatic Watches

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
I am currently wearing an Armitron automatic because all my quartz watches are dead. I think I like the thought of that little spring engine just ticking away, amazing. I like the idea of no battery, But I wonder about the maintenance schedule and cost. Are cheaper automatics worth it? I.E. A lower end Seiko 5, is the upkeep worth it? What does it cost? I'd have to mail it off for service when the time came as I live in the sticks.
Thoughts?

The sad reality is that most cheap automatic watches, at least the movements themselves, are disposable. Generally, it's less expensive to just completely replace the movement with a new one instead of servicing the watch. And then, unless the watch has some other sentimental value, it might not be worth replacing the movement because it's not much more to buy a new watch.

For 20 years or more I owned and often wore a very cheap Oris automatic watch which I never had serviced, yet it was still keeping good time when I finally lost it in a house move. I strongly suspect the movement in a Seiko 5 (which is highly regarded if not the most refined) will be of better quality and so might well go on working for even longer with no maintenance.
Reading posts here, it seems like it's the really expensive watches which cost a lot to maintain, not the cheap ones.

A BIG vote for Orient watches especially their Diver models Ray II and Mako II. The Kamasu has sapphire glass and is very well built but not absolutely necessary.

85FF9E44-0AD2-40D4-8132-65066555D5DF.jpeg

A BIG vote for Orient watches especially their Diver models Ray II and Mako II. The Kamasu has sapphire glass and is very well built but not absolutely necessary.

View attachment 1530118
Agreed. Orient watches are excellent quality and very well priced.

My Mako XL was under $150 a few years back and is a great watch. For the price, I doubt I would send it away for service as it is almost disposable at that price.

A0595012-7DE5-4C6B-AC1A-0E32DBAC5D0B.jpeg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Years ago we used to buy one decent watch and that would usually last a lifetime with the odd service or two. These days just about everything is disposable including watches. I have so many now it is just silly. I have my heirloom watches that I don't wear but should and all the others that I have picked up over the years that now require a service but there is such a lack of watchmakers now that if you can find one they can pick and choose want they want to service. Seiko make a great automatic watch, I have several Seiko 5's that have served me well over the years.

Legion

Staff member
I’d imagine getting a basic Seiko, Orient, Vostok, etc serviced by a decent watch maker would cost more than the watch.

I’ve had modern watches for many years without serving them, and they still work like they did when I bought them. Unless the watch was sentimental, or very valuable I wouldn’t bother.

The bigger issue with an inexpensive automatic is accuracy. Do you get lucky and get one that is fairly accurate, or do you take off the casebase and try to regulate it yourself, or do you just deal with it if it happens to loose 20 seconds per day. And when you pick up after not wearing it for a few days the time needs to be reset. That is the opposite side of the coin as compared to the ease of a quartz. A solar powered watch might be worth considering if you just want a more hassle free watch.

I have worn a Seiko monster daily for going on 10 years. I swim, shoot guns, ride motorcycles, run chainsaws, use impact tools, ect. I do lots of things that are hard on a watch. I have had no trouble out of it. I have done no service to it and likely won't. I only paid about 180 bucks for the watch. If it have trouble, I'll probably just buy another similar watch and sell my old one as a fixer upper for the next guy.

ylekot

I appreciate all the info! The Seiko 5 is a no go for me. I do not want a day/date window. Just a simple watch time only. Think standard Rolex Explorer type.

I am currently wearing an Armitron automatic because all my quartz watches are dead. I think I like the thought of that little spring engine just ticking away, amazing. I like the idea of no battery, But I wonder about the maintenance schedule and cost. Are cheaper automatics worth it? I.E. A lower end Seiko 5, is the upkeep worth it? What does it cost? I'd have to mail it off for service when the time came as I live in the sticks.
Thoughts?
Have you looked at the Marathon mechanical watches?
These are used by the military and are built to last forever.
They're a Canadian company but the watches are made in Switzerland.
I don't know how much you're willing to spend but the Marathon goes for $420
if you buy it direct from Marathon and just under $400 if you look elsewhere.

LRod

I have a few cheap auto watches and they all work just fine. Most are black face divers as I find I can read them with needing my glasses! There's a chunky Citizen, an Invicta (surprisingly good for the price). The one I wear most in mentioned above, an Orient Ray on a NATO strap.

I also have a 60's Omega Seamaster my late father in law bought new in Geneva many years ago. They weren't divers watches then and looks more like a dress watch. It's very reliable and they go for much the same price as a new Orient these days on the bay here in the UK. Something like that might interest you but might need a service up front. My Omega has never been serviced by me. When it does it will go to a very good local watchmaker we have rather than Omega as they charge a small fortune!

ylekot

Have you looked at the Marathon mechanical watches?
These are used by the military and are built to last forever.
They're a Canadian company but the watches are made in Switzerland.
I don't know how much you're willing to spend but the Marathon goes for $420
if you buy it direct from Marathon and just under $400 if you look elsewhere.

LRod
The best watch I ever had was a military issue Marathon hand wind with tritium vials on the hands and markers. That poor thing went through hell and the only damage was a few scratches on the face. They are damn expensive for such a simple and homely watch but it was tough!

ylekot

I have a few cheap auto watches and they all work just fine. Most are black face divers as I find I can read them with needing my glasses! There's a chunky Citizen, an Invicta (surprisingly good for the price). The one I wear most in mentioned above, an Orient Ray on a NATO strap.

I also have a 60's Omega Seamaster my late father in law bought new in Geneva many years ago. They weren't divers watches then and looks more like a dress watch. It's very reliable and they go for much the same price as a new Orient these days on the bay here in the UK. Something like that might interest you but might need a service up front. My Omega has never been serviced by me. When it does it will go to a very good local watchmaker we have rather than Omega as they charge a small fortune!
An Omega is well out of my price range, or so I thought, where are you finding them for Orient money?

An Omega is well out of my price range, or so I thought, where are you finding them for Orient money?
Explorer style, swiss movement?

You might also consider a Citizen watch. Best of both worlds.

Since the Seiko 5 isn't to your liking, more expensive Seiko and Hamilton watches might be what you are looking for.

Top Bottom