What's new

Decent Inexpensive Automatic Watches

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
Explorer style, swiss movement?

That is a good looking watch but too high for my budget. Servicing when necessary could also be an issue due to not having watchmakers nearby. I think I better just stick to quartz.

I also have a 60's Omega Seamaster my late father in law bought new in Geneva many years ago. They weren't divers watches then and looks more like a dress watch. It's very reliable and they go for much the same price as a new Orient these days on the bay here in the UK. Something like that might interest you but might need a service up front. My Omega has never been serviced by me. When it does it will go to a very good local watchmaker we have rather than Omega as they charge a small fortune!
One of my favorite watches is an early ’60’s Omega Seamaster gifted to me by my Grandfather in-law almost 40 years ago. I have to wind it manually, so it needs service, but still keeps great time and is absolutely beautiful.

Reactions: ctr
An Omega is well out of my price range, or so I thought, where are you finding them for Orient money?
Just had a look on the UK bay and found an almost identical one going for £220. Mine has a better strap! Don't think we are allowed to post ebay listings.

The Bulova Hack watch can be had for a fairly good price on the world's favorite digital flea market and it can be had with a black face with nylon or leather strap. The history behind the design doesn't hurt either!

Not cheap but not crazy.
image.jpg

I like my Timex Expedition North Field Post Solar. Sapphire crystal, stainless steel case, no need to replace batteries. Timex also makes a mechanical (but I think non-automatic) version of this watch. I have the 36 mm version of the solar, but it also comes in a 41 mm version.

I always wanted an automatic watch, but hate spending money. I finally asked for and received an Invicta Pro Diver for Christmas, and I do enjoy wearing it. I do have to reset the time fairly often, and have considered opening the back to tinker with it, but thus far I just make an adjustment and call it a day. It has a date window, and I'm unsure if they have options without it, but that's the least costly auto I could find. With the Seiko movement inside, it should last for quite a while and I'll likely replace the watch if it ever dies.
As others have mentioned, Citizen Eco Drive watches (and other solar versions) may be a good compromise for you. Some are incredibly busy, but not all. Mine is below (not on factory strap). Many appear to have a date window, and some with day, but there are some without that.
1664550675902.png

I have a Hanowa Swiss Military automatic that I bought as a souvenir from Geneva in 2005. It wasn't cheap at CHF300 or €200 at the time. I've had it serviced twice. Finding a watchmaker is increasingly difficult. The last service was by a semi retired gent who said he only keeps the workshop as an excuse to leave the house.

Some of the watches posted have piqued my interest and I might have to investigate further.

Late to the party. A better answer can usually be given when a budget and feature set is given. From reading the thread, you are seeking a clean uncluttered Rolex Explorer look.

Other Concerns:
" But I wonder about the maintenance schedule and cost."

Many folks say 5 ish years for a lube/oil/adjust. 100-200 USD for a automatic watch in the sub 500.00 price range. Many folks do not service until the watch stops running.

"Are cheaper automatics worth it?"

Value is a difficult proposition to define. The cost of ownership for a 500.00 auto is likely to be much higher over a 20 yr arc. v 500.00 quartz/EcoDrive. For many, automatics simply are a watch they can love. Most quartz, not so much. I have and wear both.

"I.E. A lower end Seiko 5, is the upkeep worth it?"

I have 4 lower end seikos in terms of movement (7s series) none of them have every been serviced to include a 70s era dress and diver watch. They still keep time well enough such that I am not late for anything.

I am not a fan of contemporary Seikos in the sub 500.00 price point because they continue to use their much more easily scratched proprietary "Hardlex" crystal material when synthetic sapphire is available and is routinely being used by their competition, particularly in micro brands in the same divers space.

"What does it cost?"

This varies widely 100-200 USD for s lube/oil/adjust on a simple 3 handed no date/date automatic is common.

"I'd have to mail it off for service when the time came as I live in the sticks."

True and done on a daily basis.

"Thoughts?"

All things being equal, buy a watch on a bracelet as you can almost always get a strap much easier after the fact than the other way around.

229.00 Tissot. Swiss made 80 hour movement. 39 mm. sapphire crystal

219 ish Orient Triton Divers (step up from the Kamasu and Mako in terms of movement) Japanese in house movement. Sapphire Crystal. Simply blows away Seiko in this price point.

Orient Triton Automatic Black Dial Men's Watch RA-AC0K01B10B - https://www.jomashop.com/orient-triton-black-dial-mens-watch-ra-ac0k01b10b.html

Casio 99.00 Quartz. Sapphire Crystal. Everything you need and nothing you do not.

FWIW/YMMV Greatly

ylekot

Late to the party. A better answer can usually be given when a budget and feature set is given. From reading the thread, you are seeking a clean uncluttered Rolex Explorer look.

Other Concerns:
" But I wonder about the maintenance schedule and cost."

Many folks say 5 ish years for a lube/oil/adjust. 100-200 USD for a automatic watch in the sub 500.00 price range. Many folks do not service until the watch stops running.

"Are cheaper automatics worth it?"

Value is a difficult proposition to define. The cost of ownership for a 500.00 auto is likely to be much higher over a 20 yr arc. v 500.00 quartz/EcoDrive. For many, automatics simply are a watch they can love. Most quartz, not so much. I have and wear both.

"I.E. A lower end Seiko 5, is the upkeep worth it?"

I have 4 lower end seikos in terms of movement (7s series) none of them have every been serviced to include a 70s era dress and diver watch. They still keep time well enough such that I am not late for anything.

I am not a fan of contemporary Seikos in the sub 500.00 price point because they continue to use their much more easily scratched proprietary "Hardlex" crystal material when synthetic sapphire is available and is routinely being used by their competition, particularly in micro brands in the same divers space.

"What does it cost?"

This varies widely 100-200 USD for s lube/oil/adjust on a simple 3 handed no date/date automatic is common.

"I'd have to mail it off for service when the time came as I live in the sticks."

True and done on a daily basis.

"Thoughts?"

All things being equal, buy a watch on a bracelet as you can almost always get a strap much easier after the fact than the other way around.

229.00 Tissot. Swiss made 80 hour movement. 39 mm. sapphire crystal

219 ish Orient Triton Divers (step up from the Kamasu and Mako in terms of movement) Japanese in house movement. Sapphire Crystal. Simply blows away Seiko in this price point.

Orient Triton Automatic Black Dial Men's Watch RA-AC0K01B10B - https://www.jomashop.com/orient-triton-black-dial-mens-watch-ra-ac0k01b10b.html

Casio 99.00 Quartz. Sapphire Crystal. Everything you need and nothing you do not.

FWIW/YMMV Greatly
Thank you for the information. I will not spend more than $200.00 U.S. on a watch. My phone tells me the time just fine so a watch is a toy. I do not want any further complications beyond the time, but I am discovering that is very difficult to find for whatever reason.

Anyone have experience with Alpha watches available on fleabay? They, like my Armitron, would not be worth servicing when they have issues at $100.00+ for said service.

Battery powered watches never last more than 6 months before needing a battery change.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
all my quartz watches are dead

Well, they are not "dead" ... they just need new batteries. :tongue_sm

... but if they are all sitting there with dead batteries, maybe a standard quartz watch isn't for you what with the need to go get the battery replaced every other year or so.

I like the thought of that little spring engine just ticking away, amazing. I like the idea of no battery

Well, there are always manual watches. You just wind them up every morning. Little mechanical gears in there spinning away ... and if you don't wind it for a couple days and it "dies" ... you just wind it back up and it's going again.

A couple other options to consider as well, although they are battery powered ...
  1. solar powered quartz. As long as it gets "enough" light, it soaks up enough power through the watch face to keep the battery charged. Putting it on a sunny window sill for the day will get a good charge right there.
  2. kinetic powered quartz. As long as it gets "enough" movement, the little spinny thing inside the watch will spin enough to keep the battery charged.
In either case, a "full charge" of the battery will keep the watch going for about 6 months ... with one caveat. The battery inside the watch, in either case, will eventually need to be replaced. (Think of the battery in your car ... it is always recharged by the alternator but, eventually, it wears out and won't take enough of a charge and need replacing.) I have had several solar & kinetic watches, some for 5+ years, and currently no need to replace batteries yet. IIRC, the battery needs replacing only after 10-20 years.

And IMHO, if you wear the watch on a daily basis, it will get "enough" sun or movement to keep it fully charged. The more of these watches you have in a rotation, well ... it's easy to keep a solar watch charged by leaving it out in the bright light, but kinetic watches are a bit trickier. (IIRC you can get "watch winders" that will move the watch around for you ... good for kinetic and automatic watches.)

I'd have to mail it off for service when the time came as I live in the sticks.

Well, how "stick-y" is your "sticks"? Are you living in a town of 50,000, a village of 5,000, or down at the end of a dirt road in the woods with no cell service? Do you at least have a place that will replace a battery in your watches?

I do not want a day/date window. Just a simple watch time only.

Damn Day/Date complication

Well, the pickier you want to be, the harder it will be to find your ideal watch.

Not saying you should just suck it up and get a day/date window ... but saying if you are going to stand on that criteria your search will take a lot longer (but your goldilocks watch is probably still out there somewhere ... just gonna take a lot more looking to find it.)

Personally, I like at least a date window. "Day" I can take or leave no big deal. So it's easier for me to find a watch I can like and wear. So the watches I am most familiar with are probably not really up your alley.

But good luck in your search anyhow!

ylekot

Well, they are not "dead" ... they just need new batteries. :tongue_sm

... but if they are all sitting there with dead batteries, maybe a standard quartz watch isn't for you what with the need to go get the battery replaced every other year or so.

Well, there are always manual watches. You just wind them up every morning. Little mechanical gears in there spinning away ... and if you don't wind it for a couple days and it "dies" ... you just wind it back up and it's going again.

A couple other options to consider as well, although they are battery powered ...
  1. solar powered quartz. As long as it gets "enough" light, it soaks up enough power through the watch face to keep the battery charged. Putting it on a sunny window sill for the day will get a good charge right there.
  2. kinetic powered quartz. As long as it gets "enough" movement, the little spinny thing inside the watch will spin enough to keep the battery charged.
In either case, a "full charge" of the battery will keep the watch going for about 6 months ... with one caveat. The battery inside the watch, in either case, will eventually need to be replaced. (Think of the battery in your car ... it is always recharged by the alternator but, eventually, it wears out and won't take enough of a charge and need replacing.) I have had several solar & kinetic watches, some for 5+ years, and currently no need to replace batteries yet. IIRC, the battery needs replacing only after 10-20 years.

And IMHO, if you wear the watch on a daily basis, it will get "enough" sun or movement to keep it fully charged. The more of these watches you have in a rotation, well ... it's easy to keep a solar watch charged by leaving it out in the bright light, but kinetic watches are a bit trickier. (IIRC you can get "watch winders" that will move the watch around for you ... good for kinetic and automatic watches.)

Well, how "stick-y" is your "sticks"? Are you living in a town of 50,000, a village of 5,000, or down at the end of a dirt road in the woods with no cell service? Do you at least have a place that will replace a battery in your watches?

Well, the pickier you want to be, the harder it will be to find your ideal watch.

Not saying you should just suck it up and get a day/date window ... but saying if you are going to stand on that criteria your search will take a lot longer (but your goldilocks watch is probably still out there somewhere ... just gonna take a lot more looking to find it.)

Personally, I like at least a date window. "Day" I can take or leave no big deal. So it's easier for me to find a watch I can like and wear. So the watches I am most familiar with are probably not really up your alley.

But good luck in your search anyhow!
We have one jeweler in town that charges 25 bucks to change a battery, that's why mine are all dead. As for the day/date deal I can't see it without my glasses and it just aggravates me. I have no issue with manual wind.

Anyone have experience with Alpha watches available on fleabay?

It's an "AliX" watch - a cheap, disposable watch initially sold on AliExpress. Likely a Seagull movement (a Chinese movement based on an old Swiss one); not terrible, but not great - I'm actually wearing a watch with one in it right now. At sub-$200 for an automatic watch you are pretty much stuck with Seiko/Orient/Casio/Timex.

You should look up Long Island Watches and take a look at their Islander line. They have a Seiko NH36 movement and are well thought of in the watch world. Several different designs without a date, and right at $199.

You said that quartz (battery) watches never last more than 6 months - that's not my experience at all. I've had ones last close to 10 years.

Last edited:
Top Bottom