What's new

Daylight Saving Time starts Sunday Morning

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Art:
Thanx for the 'heads-up! :thumbsup:

Spring Forward - 1.gif
"Daylight savings time—why are [we] saving it, and where do [we] keep it"? Anonymous

As a reminder, DAY LIGHT SAVING TIME starts on Sunday morning March 10th at 02:00 am. Be sure to set your clocks ahead accordingly.

Also, and more importantly, TAKE THIS OPPORTUNITY TO CHANGE THE BATTERIES IN YOUR SMOKE/FIRE/CO ALARM.

As a volunteer Fire Fighter EMT, I would be derelict if I did not remind you. Most house fires I go to have dead batteries in their detectors and the few extra minutes with an alarm sounding could mean the difference in life and death. YOURS and your FAMILIES

My dad used to say adjusting the clocks to Summer Time was named after the 1st Chancellor of the Federal Republic of West Germany.....

Adenauer. :001_rolle

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
My dad used to say adjusting the clocks to Summer Time was named after the 1st Chancellor of the Federal Republic of West Germany.....

Adenauer. :001_rolle
HelloCheeky:
Now that's funny...thanx for sharing!l
proxy.php

Spring Forward - 2.jpg
"I don't mind going back to daylight saving time. With inflation, the hour will be the only thing I've saved all year". Victor Borge

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
The only downside to DST is the change makes us an hour closer to Monday morning.
Coach:
plus-one-png.797576
...and for those who are leading a much more quieter life;

proxy.php
"When a [person] retires and [daylight savings] time is no longer a matter of urgent importance, his colleagues generally present him with a watch". R.C. Sheriff

Our bodies try to follow a natural cycle of sleep and waking that is called the circadian rhythm that is determined by our biological clocks. Plants, animals and even some micro-organisms have a similar cycle of activity. For most of us, that cycle coincides with natural cycles of day and night. Our hunter-gatherer ancestors got up at dawn and went to bed soon after dusk.

With the advent of electric lighting, we can simulate daytime conditions 24 hours per day. Many people in society work shifts that contradict their natural wake/sleep cycle. What is even worse is those people who work jobs requiring rotating shifts in which they are scheduled to work a different shift each week. By the time their bodies adjust to the new shift, it is time to change to another shift. That can create all kinds of physical and psychological problems.

Fortunately, the change to and from DST is only one hour, so most of us can accommodate that change over a few days.

Very interesting and I agree.

About eight years ago I replicated a sleep experiment I read about where you give up artificial light before the sun goes down.

The results were fascinating to me. It took a few days to acclimate but when I reached that point I was comatose when the sun went down. I slept like a baby until the morning and the sun shown through slightly. In the mornings I was more energetic as well as throughout the day. I quickly got to a point where I'd wake up in the middle of the night for an hour or two then quickly doze off again for the rest of the night. It was a very relaxing experience.

It kind of confirmed for me that there are natural rhythms for wake and sleep.

I've had a desire to replicate this again and may one day soon.

Chris

Oh, after a certain age the natural rhythms seem to involve getting out of bed once or twice in the middle of the night...to check on the shave den.

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Opps...forgot to 'spring forward' my manual clocks, but 'I'm squared away' and 'on-time'.
proxy.php

spring-forward-1-gif.960934
"With all the daylight savings I'm made...I should be knee-deep in cash". CBJ

I was in a crowd of about 40 this evening, and everyone was commenting on how awesome DST because of the evening light. A few even talked about staying with DST year round and ditching standard. I'd vote for that.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
As a retiree some might say I don't have a dog in the hunt, since I can do my thing whenever. But, I still dislike the changes. I'd like to see it standardized, just pick one and stick with it, like Arizona. The changes causes too much trouble for no discernable benefit.

There's plenty of downside to DST - I recall not being able to start up assembly lines every spring because people wouldn't get the word .. and the school kids are wandering about in the pre-dawn darkness tomorrow while sleep deprived adults race around in said dark trying to make up for a late start. And come late June, with DST it won't get dark until way past time that the noisy little buggars should be a-bed ..

Better to leave it one way or the other and allow people to adapt gradually to the changes in daylight hours that the earth's tilt provides us ..

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I think you get an extra hour of sleep. Crazy? Here me out. I work second shift, and rarely get to bed before 2 AM. So, I woke up this morning, 8 hours later, at what I thought was 10 AM. I then reset the clocks. I will still go to bed around 2, but because of the shift in time, I will go to bed after being up for 15 hours instead of the normal 16 hours. That’s an extra hour of sleep.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
As a retiree some might say I don't have a dog in the hunt, since I can do my thing whenever. But, I still dislike the changes. I'd like to see it standardized, just pick one and stick with it, like Arizona. The changes causes too much trouble for no discernable benefit.

There's plenty of downside to DST - I recall not being able to start up assembly lines every spring because people wouldn't get the word .. and the school kids are wandering about in the pre-dawn darkness tomorrow while sleep deprived adults race around in said dark trying to make up for a late start. And come late June, with DST it won't get dark until way past time that the noisy little buggars should be a-bed ..

Better to leave it one way or the other and allow people to adapt gradually to the changes in daylight hours that the earth's tilt provides us ..

Yup. I was self employed for the last 13 years and got to set my own hours. I just now started to draw my retirement, so they can take DST and shove it up....

The sun is my clock.

I like the suggestion in the article to expose yourself to sunlight as soon as you wake up. It's still friggin dark when most people have to get up.

5 ways daylight saving time messes with your health -- and what to do about it

Last edited:
I think you get an extra hour of sleep. Crazy? Here me out. I work second shift, and rarely get to bed before 2 AM. So, I woke up this morning, 8 hours later, at what I thought was 10 AM. I then reset the clocks. I will still go to bed around 2, but because of the shift in time, I will go to bed after being up for 15 hours instead of the normal 16 hours. That’s an extra hour of sleep.

When I was in the Navy, the only time you ever wanted to stand a mid watch (11:45 p.m.-3:45 a.m.) was during the spring time change because you actually only had to stand three hours of watch.

No matter whether is January or July, it's dark when I get up and dark when I go to work. If for some reason I am going in a hour or so later and the sun is up, it seems to strange to me.

Having more usable daylight is awesome. There is nothing worse than the time of year when it's dark when you go to work and already getting dim when you head home.

Top Bottom