What's new

'Spring Forward': Daylight Savings Time

The results are that in January, the sun rises about 7:19 EST in Orlando. Tallahassee will have a sunrise a few minutes later and Miami a few minutes earlier. This means Floridian kids will be going to school in the dark. If the bill does away with the EST/CST split in the panhandle, that will make it worse for those in far western Florida. In Pensacola, the sun would rise about 8:47 EDT in January.

Isn't this already the case (kids going to school in the dark) in the northern states during the winter? Somehow they survive...Shifting the panhandle to eastern AND keeping them in DST would be a big jump in winter though.

Over the past couple weeks, I've been enjoying watching the sunrise on my way to work in the morning. Now, that we have turned the clocks forward..... I get to experience that all over again!!

I was really starting to enjoy having some light for my morning drive to work, now it's pitch black again. :mad3: By the middle of summer it will still be light well after my daughters bedtime and close to mine too. Indiana is too far west to be on eastern daylight, I liked it much better when we stayed on the same time year round.

If your blanket is too short to cover your feet you can't just cut a foot off the top and sew it to the bottom!

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I enjoy all seasons and axcept day light saving as part of them.
Here the shortest day has a sun rise of 7:47am and sunset of 5:00pm.
The longest day with DLS time is 5:44am sunrise and 8:54pm sunset.
So if we take DLS away the sun will be rising at 4:44am. Birds chipping......time to get up.
If we leave it at DLS time all year the sun would not rise till 8:47am on the shortest day.
Neither of those options sound good to me.

Maybe if we were to pick one time, then set in the middle by adjusting standard time by half an hour forward once, would be a better option.
Sure that does not change the fact we only get approx. 9 hours per day shortest and 15 hours on the longest but having them when we can enjoy the most works for me.

Last edited:
I'm from Saskatchewan so I love watching everyone struggle with this whole DST.
What do you all do with this "extra" hour of sunlight? Are you really out cutting the grass and trimming the hedges at 10:15 pm?

Wow, some guys are real sensitive to this change of an hour.

Like the real estate agent said, location, location, location. Ideally, time zones would be 15° apart. So, centered at Greenwich, the next time zone should be 7.5° W, then 22.5° W. and so on. Atlantic Time should extend from 52.5° W to 67.5° W; Eastern Time from 67.5° W to 82.5° W, and so on. But if you look at a map, it doesn't run that way due to convenience. Just an example, Montana should be in the Mountain and Pacific zones but isn't, and North Dakota is split between Mountain and Central zones, but the start of the Mountain zone should be near the boarder with Minnesota. Further south, Oklahoma should be split between Mountain and Central, with the line going through Oklahoma City, but all of Oklahoma is in Central.

That, and latitude, is going to affect how we perceive sunrise and sunset in relation to a clock. That, and our lifestyle, is going to affect how we see DST.

Like the real estate agent said, location, location, location. Ideally, time zones would be 15° apart. ...

That, and latitude, is going to affect how we perceive sunrise and sunset in relation to a clock. That, and our lifestyle, is going to affect how we see DST.

There is no reason why one state should have two time zones. You just have to pick the time zone that the majority of the state falls into and apply it state wide. People aren't looking up at the sun and saying "nope another five minutes until it is directly above." If you're lost and are using the sun for direction and survival I don't think anyone is going to be arguing that you were 10 minutes late/early to your rescue. "Oh sorry, I was just making lunch. Can you come back in 15 minutes to save me?"

For that small population who are thinking they are missing out on valuable sunlight or can't sleep because the sun is up A) you really need to learn to unwind B) nothing is stopping you from getting up. Get up and have a coffee on the patio or front porch, go for a walk in the park, do that full blown hot towel/three pass/facial cleanser shave that you can only do on your days off. No matter what you do there is still only 24hr/day. Its what you do with them, not where the sun is in the sky, that counts.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
For that small population who are thinking they are missing out on valuable sunlight or can't sleep because the sun is up A) you really need to learn to unwind B) nothing is stopping you from getting up.

Thanks for your words of wisdom but I don't think the anti daylight saving crowd is actually in the majority. More the noisy minority. Maybe you could follow point A) with the changing of the clocks.

Thanks for your words of wisdom but I don't think the anti daylight saving crowd is actually in the majority. More the noisy minority. Maybe you could follow point A) with the changing of the clocks.
No harm with that bitter pill. So what do you do with your extra hour of sunlight?

There is no reason why one state should have two time zones. You just have to pick the time zone that the majority of the state falls into and apply it state wide. People aren't looking up at the sun and saying "nope another five minutes until it is directly above." If you're lost and are using the sun for direction and survival I don't think anyone is going to be arguing that you were 10 minutes late/early to your rescue. "Oh sorry, I was just making lunch. Can you come back in 15 minutes to save me?"

For that small population who are thinking they are missing out on valuable sunlight or can't sleep because the sun is up A) you really need to learn to unwind B) nothing is stopping you from getting up. Get up and have a coffee on the patio or front porch, go for a walk in the park, do that full blown hot towel/three pass/facial cleanser shave that you can only do on your days off. No matter what you do there is still only 24hr/day. Its what you do with them, not where the sun is in the sky, that counts.

The Equation of Time dictates that even local time (when the sun is on the meridian) will be "slow" or "fast" by several minutes most of the year, up to 15 minutes. With minuscule states that don't span large swathes of latitude, it probably doesn't matter. With larger states - well, let's do the math:

The sun moves 15° in an hour. Montana is about 12° of longitude wide. 12/15 = 4/5, which means sunrise and sunset on the furthest border with Idaho is nearly an hour later than on the border with North Dakota. Texas is about 13° wide. That means sunrise and set on the furthest point west is also going to be nearly an hour after it occurs on the furthest point east. Alaska spans about 42°, so sunrise and set in the westernmost part occurs nearly three hours after it happens in the easternmost part. Of course, Alaska is high enough latitude that there's other effects like their isn't an O Dark 30 at Point Barrow during part of the summer.

Compare this with Massachusetts, which is about 3.5° wide, or New York State, which is almost 8° wide. The time difference in Massachusetts is about 15 minutes, and New York about half an hour.

Now, some may say "So what?" Well, the thing about a huge area all in one time zone is that if schools start at 8:00 am statewide, you may have students going there by dawns early light in one part, but in darkness in another. Where you are changes how someone associates daylight with the clock.

I can also go into how this affects energy use and billing, if anyone needs this as a sleep aid - assuming they haven't already nodded off.

It's really quite fascinating.

Of course, some won't care, but that's no problem. It's just like some of us prefer cartridges and some of us straight razors; personal preference vary.

I only know that when I retire, I'm going to get up when I dang well please regardless.

Top Bottom