What's new

'Spring Forward': Daylight Savings Time

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Dear Members:
Spring Forward - 1.gif
Don't forget to set your clocks / watches '1hr ahead' before you 'turn-in' this Saturday night, 10 Mar 18.
proxy.php

By Mahita Gajanan - Time Magizine - 6 Mar 17

"Get ready to 'spring forward' this weekend — Daylight Saving Time begins on Sunday. Here's everything you need to know about the time-change.

Clocks will jump forward by one hour on 11 March 18 at 2 a.m. The jump forward in time pushes sunrise and sunset by an hour from the day before and means an end to dark winter nights, as evenings will see more light. That also means you'll lose an hour of sleep Saturday night into Sunday morning.

The U.S. implemented Daylight Saving Time on March 19, 1918 , [the concept of daylight saving time was first embraced by Germany during World War I] with the official reason that setting clocks an hour ahead would save fuel and money. Researchers have found, however, that the practice may fuel the use of energy.

According to a 2011 study, electricity consumption grew as much as 4% after some Indiana counties began observing Daylight Saving Time.
proxy.php

Not every state observes Daylight Saving. Although it is a standard practice across the U.S. and much of the world, both Arizona and Hawaii have opted out of observing Daylight Saving Time.

Several other states have debated staying on standard time throughout the year, like Illinois and Michigan, while others like Florida and New Mexico have considered staying on Daylight Saving throughout the year, according to the Washington Post (sure, Australia and most of Europe join us but most African and Asian nations skip daylight saving time all together...India and China doesn't enforce this anomaly, for example...[but, there are many who believe it's time to kill Daylight Saving Time]).

Springing forward can help reset your sleep schedule. Apart from making sure to set your alarms correctly, you can use Daylight Saving to reboot sleeping habits. Turn off electronic devices about an hour before bed and develop a consistent bedtime ritual, like journaling or reading".
proxy.php

Works Cited:
Daylight Savings Time

proxy.php
"I don’t mind going back to daylight saving time. With inflation, the hour will be the only thing I've saved all year". Victor Borge

PS And again...'please' don't forget to put new batteries in your smoke, fire, gas and/or carbon monoxide detectors. :thumbsup:

Thank you for posting and in particular this reminder. And if I may add, while you're replacing the batteries also check to see if the detector itself needs to be replaced as they have a finite lifespan (they will have a "replace by XXXX" somewhere easily visable). And while you're at it check the medicine cabinet for expired drugs and if necessary dispose of by taking them back to a pharmacy.i

Dear Members:
View attachment 866335PS And again...'please' don't forget to put new batteries in your smoke, fire, gas and/or carbon monoxide detectors. :thumbsup:

But as for daylight savings itself? Meh...its an archaic practice that has long passed its time to scrap it.

Most of my devices will update themselves automatically.
I have to do a manual set in my car, but that's about it.

My collection of shortwave radios all stay set to GMT,
and that doesn't require any seasonal maintenance.

Thank you for the reminder. I do wish the people in the halls of power would abandon the twice yearly time change. It probably causes more harm then good. They should split the difference for one final time change and then leave well enough alone! The extra hour of sleep-in time in the fall is nice though.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Three weeks of daylight saving time left here in NZ.
I don't mind the change myself but much more prefer when I get the extra hour when it ends.
That gives me one hour more holiday for Easter this year.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
The DST nonsense should be abolished. I just moved from AZ and really enjoyed all of those years of not screwing up my internal clock.

That is what is about to happen in Florida. DST year round.

Sunshine Daydream: Florida Bill Would Make Daylight Saving Time Year-Round

Out of curiosity, I went to the US Naval Observatory page, then the Astronomical Products, then to Sun and Moon Rise table for an entire year. I put in Orlando, Florida, since it's roughly the middle of the state.

The results are that in January, the sun rises about 7:19 EST in Orlando. Tallahassee will have a sunrise a few minutes later and Miami a few minutes earlier. This means Floridian kids will be going to school in the dark. If the bill does away with the EST/CST split in the panhandle, that will make it worse for those in far western Florida. In Pensacola, the sun would rise about 8:47 EDT in January.

Is this really what Floridians want? It's no skin off my teeth if it is, but I remember when idiot politicians had the US on DST over an entire year in the 1970s, and it didn't work well at all.

You can blame Canada. (With apologies to Southpark).
Port Arthur in Northern Ontario was the first city in North America to adopt DST in 1908.
The twin cities of Port Arthur and Fort William were amalgamated in 1970 to form the current city of Thunder Bay.
Germany was the first nation to adopt DST on a national basis during WW1.
Source:
Some interesting facts about Daylight Saving Time

I fully support staying on DST all year. I like having the extra hour of light in the evening to do things.

For this reason, I'd be completely again staying on ST all year. I'd rather deal with changing the clocks and messing up my sleep to have the extra hour of light in the evening for at least part of the year.

Obviously, in the good old days, everyone was on sun time; noon was when the sun was directly overhead. Clocks were of little use to anyone, 'cept monks who were supposed to pray X times a day. Early factory type jobs helped change that. And railroads ushered in the concept of time zones and standardized times, as opposed to local/sun time. At least that is what I recall from a History of Technology course.

Mac

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Out of curiosity, I went to the US Naval Observatory page, then the Astronomical Products, then to Sun and Moon Rise table for an entire year. I put in Orlando, Florida, since it's roughly the middle of the state.

The results are that in January, the sun rises about 7:19 EST in Orlando. Tallahassee will have a sunrise a few minutes later and Miami a few minutes earlier. This means Floridian kids will be going to school in the dark. If the bill does away with the EST/CST split in the panhandle, that will make it worse for those in far western Florida. In Pensacola, the sun would rise about 8:47 EDT in January.

Is this really what Floridians want? It's no skin off my teeth if it is, but I remember when idiot politicians had the US on DST over an entire year in the 1970s, and it didn't work well at all.

Myself, I like the idea but I would keep it at standard time. Right now Florida is a two times zone state. I am in EST while most of the panhandle is CST. I have no idea how politicians in their infinite wisdom is going to handle that dilemma. If they make the change, fireworks on Fourth of July, at my location, will be going off at 10 PM at dusk

Top Bottom