What's new

'Fall Back': It's Daylight Savings Time

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Dear Members:
Fall Back - Daylight Saving Times.jpg
Don't forget to set your clocks / watches '1hr back' before you 'turn-in' this Sunday (5 Nov 17), night or you might find yourself 1hr early for work in the morning.

Shreesha Ghosh - MSN News - International Business Times - 3 Nov 17

"It's about to become nighttime a whole lot earlier as Daylight Saving Time ends Sunday (Nov.5) at 2 a.m. Numerous Americans and people across the world will get an "extra" hour of sleep as their clocks change from 2 a.m. back to 1 a.m. on Sunday."

The clock will change back to Standard Time which the United States will follow until March 2018 when Daylight Saving Time will kick in again.

When you change your clocks or "fall back" an hour Sunday, Nov. 5, in the U.S., you will be following Standard Time once again which this nation has been following every year starting from the first Sunday in November until the second Sunday in March. The majority of the year, or the rest of the year, their clocks follow the Daylight Saving Time program.

This switch pushes sunrise and sunset also back an hour, meaning there will apparently be more light in the morning with darkness coming sooner in the afternoon.
proxy.php

Most of your computers and cell phones now have mechanisms to change their clocks automatically. However, you would be still required to check and fix your microwave, watch, and your car. This twice-a-year change is also a good opportunity to check the batteries in your smoke detector.

People also seem to be excited about the change in time as it would result in an extra hour of sleep. According to several Twitter users, sleeping in for that extra hour is a luxury many are already looking forward to and have made plans about it.
proxy.php

Daylight Saving Time has been practiced on and off for decades in the United States since 1918. This practice ensures long days in summer and short ones in the fall and winter months.

However, there are places in the country that do not observe the change too. Hawaii and Arizona don't observe Daylight Saving Time, which means there's no springing forward or falling backward on their clocks. Some U.S. territories such as American Samoa, Puerto Rico, Guam, and the Virgin Islands do not follow the change, either.

But there’s this question- Why do we do this? Here’s a look at some of the interesting facts why we started using Daylight Saving Time and continue to do so.

In 1918, Daylight saving was started as a tradition in the United States in order to conserve fuel. Daylight Saving Time starts on the second Sunday of March, according to tradition.
Fuel Conservation Icon.png

Earlier, we used to "fall back" or change our clocks in October, until Congress changed the month under the Energy Policy Act of 2005 to November. Since then it has been changed on the first Sunday of November. When we "fall back" in November, the East Coast returns to Eastern Standard Time.

Before the Congress in 2005 decided the shift, Daylight Savings Time used to begin on the first Sunday of April and ran through the last Sunday in October.

On April 30, 1916, Germany was the first ever country to adopt Daylight Savings [and] [r]oughly 78 countries across the world observe Daylight Savings Time, however, Russia, India, China and Japan do not follow".
proxy.php

Works Cited: Get ready to Fall Back

proxy.php
"We pay back the loan of an extra yawn in spring with the 'golden interest' of a lengthier snooze in the [fall]". Sir Winston Churchill

PS And again...'please' don't forget to put new batteries in your smoke, fire, gas and/or carbon monoxide detectors. :thumbsup:

I don't mind the falling back but the springing ahead in spring seems to destroy me for days. Even the thought of getting up an hour early, like at 8:00am, is anxiety inducing.

dave

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I don't mind the falling back but the springing ahead in spring seems to destroy me for days. Even the thought of getting up an hour early, like at 8:00am, is anxiety inducing.

dave
I just hate the whole "getting dark at 1700" thing.

Same here....cant stand the time change thing....funny how we can drop things like teaching math, cursive writing etc but we cant drop this....

I never have understood people's dislike for DST. Why would anybody want more darkness? Yeah, for the next 6 weeks or so, we'll start inching toward dark at 5 p.m., but it will start inching back the other way just before Christmas. That's a fair trade for useable daylight to 8:30-9 p.m. in the good months when you can be outside doing things. The weather is crap this time of year, so it's not like you're going to be outside in the evening anyway.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Ol' Mother Nature doesn't provide any extra lightness by switching the clocks twice a year. None. I'd rather a consistent time, just pick one and stick with it. Although I no longer slave to a clock, I hate the switching still. There just isn't a good reason to do it anymore. If there were any good reasons, why not fiddle with the clocks every quarter?

Prior to railroads we all used sun time. It was noon when the sun was directly overhead. Then the RR wanted schedules and time zones and standardized time.

I am now on retired time; it is either time to walk to the mailbox, time to eat, or time for a nap.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Time is just Mother Nature's way of making sure everything doesn't happen all at once

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I never have understood people's dislike for DST. Why would anybody want more darkness? Yeah, for the next 6 weeks or so, we'll start inching toward dark at 5 p.m., but it will start inching back the other way just before Christmas. That's a fair trade for useable daylight to 8:30-9 p.m. in the good months when you can be outside doing things. The weather is crap this time of year, so it's not like you're going to be outside in the evening anyway.
I think, for people who work normal hours, it is the fact that it is dark when you leave for work, and dark when you get home. If the time didn’t change, at least they would get some sunlight after work.

I think, for people who work normal hours, it is the fact that it is dark when you leave for work, and dark when you get home. If the time didn’t change, at least they would get some sunlight after work.

My entire working life, about 30 years now, I have gotten up at 5 a.m., and I get off about 3:30 p.m. It's dark when I go to work no matter what time of year. Afternoon daylight is far more important to me.
Today is Saturday, and I "slept in" to 6:15. On extreme Saturdays in the middle of winter when I'm not headed outside, I'll really slum around in bed to maybe 7:15. :001_302:

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Good thing I'll have light when im up at dawn to work the farm. And it will be dark when I get me some shut eye at 6 pm. When I go to bed

Not. Would be good if we lived in the 1800s

Top Bottom