What's new

Curious about your $$$ invested in this hobby.

I'm in for about $300 and just 3 weeks in. I hope that this rate slows down or else I'll be homeless with a bunch of sweet shaving gear. I guess you know you've got it bad when that thought doesn't bother you too much ;)

Priceless! On the street corner with a sign 'will work for tubs of Cella'

I've been at it for a bit over a year now, and I'd say I'm somewhere between $800-$1000 now.

Just a tad less here as all of a sudden I "HAD" to get a few brushes, LOTS of Italian soft soaps and a "FEW" hundred blades that I liked :thumbup1: I'm heading to Atlanta to visit son & family for 5 days so I "mailed ahead" a few DE blades to have for a few wet shaves with my new gear!

Gene

I started shaving with a straight some years ago, so I already had the basics, but lately I have spent around $450 on : a new very $$$ strop, A Futur DE for those days when second best is OK, C & E shaving soap (Sandlewood), C & E ASB (the same), 10 Merkurs, 10 Derbys, a brush stand, and having a honemeister hone, polish,
and strop my old straight.
So I can see some savings in buying a set of hones, and then there's that new silvertip I want, and I've seen a few nice straights. Also I,m looking to get the GF a DE off ebay and then there's.............

I think I may have contracted incurable RAD.

I'll round it to $600, but that doesn't count things like polish, tumbler, and restoration supplies. I was lucky to get a few decent straights cheap as parts of bigger lots. It cost some money to either refurb them, or get them done. Yea, maybe make that $750 - $800 when I factor in some of the aftershaves and things I forgot to add in.

One thing is, I'm noticing if you get even nice soap, a nice razor and a couple of nice brushes you're ok.

It's when you go for the super rare $500 razor with a $200 brush that things get really out of hand :wacko:

If you include frags, I refuse to try to figure it out for fear I wouldn't let myself buy anything else and might not enjoy the two Mike's soaps and two frags that are en route...

Wow, I may have a problem

Most expensive item: Minty cased 1959 Fatboy: $90

Old Gillette DE razors: +-$300 including the Fatboy. A very cool collection of mostly superspeeds. I had to clean up a few dirty ones and gave some away to friends but it was worth it, and I've shaved with every one I have.

DE blades since the conversion: +-$60 (Found 'my blade for life--Gillette black-- and have enough left to be clean shaven for at least a year)

Soaps and creams - $100? at least. But no more AD and have a nice rotation I'm happy with. (Speick, Cella, Proraso)

Aftershave: $60 and climbing so far. I've found a lot I like but I haven't found The One.

Oh also a flirtation with straights that cost less than $100. I bought a few cheap old straight razors from an auction and sent one to whipped dog straights and had it honed up by Larry. He also sold me a strop and that balsa thing with the lapping paste. I straight shaved 5 times with mixed results. I just love DE shaves right now.

Soo, what's that add up to? Around $600 in about 10 months. Money well spent. I have razors for life, supplies that will last many years, and got to discover things I love along the way. Before that I was lazy at best about my shaving habits.

Last edited:
I'm almost 2 months in now, started the beginning of March and I'm about $600 or so. Looking for a nice brush and want to try some soaps, as I've just been using creams so far. So I see this number going up shortly. Count me in for the 2013 Shave Purchase Sabbatical

I am probably right about here. I started around the end of February, probably have $700 or so in DEs, blades, soaps, brushes etc. I collect firearms as well, so this is a fairly cheap and fun little hobby. I don't see myself with a whole lot more, as I have plenty to rotate through and try out for quite awhile now. :adoration:

I've been wet-shaving a little over 4 years now ... and I've probably put well over $2,000 in by now ... I spent over $600 in one month alone about 6 months after I started.

But if someone were to offer me double or triple my money back if I would go back to cartridges and goop, I would turn them down.

In about three weeks I've got about $160 into three razors (Krona, Slim Adjustable, and an old Superspeed I just picked up tonight), some sampler soaps, aftershaves, a travel brush and a basic entry level brush, and a generic mug. I also sprung for a 100 pack of Astras, since that seems to be the blade that is working for me the best.

I would like to get a Scuttle at some point, and then settle on a go-to lathering system, but I'm still messing around with one variable at a time to see what works best.

Compared to my other full time hobby (trapshooting) this is a whole lot cheaper so far!

Top Bottom