What's new

luvmysuper Member Interview

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Member Interviews - Meet Member luvmysuper
download.jpg

@luvmysuper has been a member of B&B since May 14, 2009

01. How did you find Badger & Blade and why did you become a member?

I took up wet shaving again in late 2008 after accepting an office position with the company I worked for. The reduction in travel allowed me the luxury. Any internet search for anything remotely connected to wet shaving leads you directly to B&B. I came for the advice and stayed for the friendship.

02. When you were working, what did you do?

I spent 21 years in the US Navy. I enlisted as an E-1 and worked my way up to E-8. After some time, I realized I had only one more paygrade to advance so I applied for a Limited Duty Officer or a Warrant Officer Commission. I was accepted and chose Warrant Officer as I preferred the company that a Warrant Officer position would afford me. I knew I would be welcomed in the Wardroom, but also in the Chief Petty Officers Mess which I believe helped keep me grounded.
After I retired, I went to work for 24 years at an Engineering Company out of the suburbs north of Chicago who designed and sold systems to mitigate air and water pollution and handle and dispose of Industrial Waste materials such as abrasives and water.

03. What part of the country you were born in do you like most?

I was born near the south side of Chicago and have seen virtually every part of the United States. I am fond of the Florida Panhandle. Beautiful weather, beautiful landscape with less chance of falling into a sinkhole or being run over by a hurricane than other parts of Florida!

04. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you go?

I've had the extreme good luck to have travelled the world in both of my careers. I've lived for several years in China (Fujian Province), the Philippines (both in the unimproved jungle and the big city of Manila), and Australia (about 2 hours west of Brisbane in Queensland). I have a house in the Philippines and would love to live there, but my health dictates that I choose something closer to insurance covered health care, so I think Pensacola Florida would be my choice.

05. What are your hobbies or interests?

I do woodworking, metal lathe work, audio/video editing and 3D design and 3D printing. I love remodeling my house, but I'm getting to the age where that is less interesting just because of the physical labor involved. I love riding my motorcycle when weather permits but have switched from two wheels to three wheels due to age related hip issues.

06. Why did you choose the avatar that you have now?

My avatar is Cary Grant from the film he did with Tony Curtis named "Operation Petticoat". I wish I looked more like Cary Grant than me, and I enjoyed his portrayal of a crusty character who really has a good and kind heart.

07. If you could choose any person from the past or present to have a drink with, who would it be?

There are so many wonderful people to choose from and I am tempted to say someone famous who would make me seem more altruistic, but truth be told, I'd just like to be selfish and have a pot of coffee with someone that I personally would have a good time with, so I'll say my mother, who passed away at an early age while I was away, and who had a wonderful sense of humor.

08. What is something you'd like to do but haven't had the chance?

I would enjoy visiting the ancestral lands of my clan in Scotland, which is the area in which the amazing Scottish poet Robert Burns lived.

09. What is one thing you have accomplished that you are proud of?

I am most proud of my Military Service. I served happily and willingly, and would do it again if I had the opportunity. I think it forms character and foments introspection and selflessness.

10. What is one piece of advice that you would offer people in general?

Do the right thing. Stand steadfast in your personal beliefs and be uncompromising in your moral character. In the end, it will be what is most remembered of you.

11. If you could have any super-hero power, what would you choose?

Right off the top of my head, I'd say I'd like to be able to time travel, but it's purely for selfish reasons, so I reject the concept.
I would most like to be the iconic Superman, who uses his power for the good of the innocent. Not so much for the powers per se, but for the integrity he has to only use his powers for good and not for self serving reasons.

12. If you could choose to be any animal, what would it be?

I would like to be a dog with an owner like me. Dogs are loyal, protective, and they enjoy to the utmost even the simplest pleasures of life. When treated with love, they will sacrifice themselves to protect their owner.

13. What kind of music do you like?

I have very eclectic taste in music. There is no "type" of music that I don't enjoy from Classical such as Verde, Wagner, and Tchaikovsky to the Beatles, the Rolling Stones and other more modern Rock and Roll. I like Country Music and Bluegrass, as well as Jazz and Rap.

14. If you could be any movie character, who would it be?

Probably James Bond. He is suave, debonair, calm, cool, and collected, even in the face of imminent danger - all traits that I wish I had but do not.

15. If someone wrote a book about your life, what would the title be?

"He made us Laugh"

What a wonderful interview. It's so much fun to get to know each other a little bit better. When I was an Admin over at a motorcycle forum years ago, we started an interview thread and it became hugely popular.
Your answers were wonderful and thoughtful and gave a lot of insight into what kind of man you are. Thanks for your service to your country and for what you do here. :thumbsup:

Sorry but rather late to the comments. (Post camp exhaustion and sleeping for 16 hours does not help!)

An honest and deeply insightful interview.

Your moral strength, honesty and integrety illuminates and shines through every word.

It's a deep honour to be part of B&B with Gentlemen like you around.

Thanks for your military service and realistic humanity in all you do both here and in the 'real world'

Simon

Last edited:
Member Interviews - Meet Member luvmysuper
View attachment 1720515

@luvmysuper has been a member of B&B since May 14, 2009

01. How did you find Badger & Blade and why did you become a member?

I took up wet shaving again in late 2008 after accepting an office position with the company I worked for. The reduction in travel allowed me the luxury. Any internet search for anything remotely connected to wet shaving leads you directly to B&B. I came for the advice and stayed for the friendship.

02. When you were working, what did you do?

I spent 21 years in the US Navy. I enlisted as an E-1 and worked my way up to E-8. After some time, I realized I had only one more paygrade to advance so I applied for a Limited Duty Officer or a Warrant Officer Commission. I was accepted and chose Warrant Officer as I preferred the company that a Warrant Officer position would afford me. I knew I would be welcomed in the Wardroom, but also in the Chief Petty Officers Mess which I believe helped keep me grounded.
After I retired, I went to work for 24 years at an Engineering Company out of the suburbs north of Chicago who designed and sold systems to mitigate air and water pollution and handle and dispose of Industrial Waste materials such as abrasives and water.

03. What part of the country you were born in do you like most?

I was born near the south side of Chicago and have seen virtually every part of the United States. I am fond of the Florida Panhandle. Beautiful weather, beautiful landscape with less chance of falling into a sinkhole or being run over by a hurricane than other parts of Florida!

04. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you go?

I've had the extreme good luck to have travelled the world in both of my careers. I've lived for several years in China (Fujian Province), the Philippines (both in the unimproved jungle and the big city of Manila), and Australia (about 2 hours west of Brisbane in Queensland). I have a house in the Philippines and would love to live there, but my health dictates that I choose something closer to insurance covered health care, so I think Pensacola Florida would be my choice.

05. What are your hobbies or interests?

I do woodworking, metal lathe work, audio/video editing and 3D design and 3D printing. I love remodeling my house, but I'm getting to the age where that is less interesting just because of the physical labor involved. I love riding my motorcycle when weather permits but have switched from two wheels to three wheels due to age related hip issues.

06. Why did you choose the avatar that you have now?

My avatar is Cary Grant from the film he did with Tony Curtis named "Operation Petticoat". I wish I looked more like Cary Grant than me, and I enjoyed his portrayal of a crusty character who really has a good and kind heart.

07. If you could choose any person from the past or present to have a drink with, who would it be?

There are so many wonderful people to choose from and I am tempted to say someone famous who would make me seem more altruistic, but truth be told, I'd just like to be selfish and have a pot of coffee with someone that I personally would have a good time with, so I'll say my mother, who passed away at an early age while I was away, and who had a wonderful sense of humor.

08. What is something you'd like to do but haven't had the chance?

I would enjoy visiting the ancestral lands of my clan in Scotland, which is the area in which the amazing Scottish poet Robert Burns lived.

09. What is one thing you have accomplished that you are proud of?

I am most proud of my Military Service. I served happily and willingly, and would do it again if I had the opportunity. I think it forms character and foments introspection and selflessness.

10. What is one piece of advice that you would offer people in general?

Do the right thing. Stand steadfast in your personal beliefs and be uncompromising in your moral character. In the end, it will be what is most remembered of you.

11. If you could have any super-hero power, what would you choose?

Right off the top of my head, I'd say I'd like to be able to time travel, but it's purely for selfish reasons, so I reject the concept.
I would most like to be the iconic Superman, who uses his power for the good of the innocent. Not so much for the powers per se, but for the integrity he has to only use his powers for good and not for self serving reasons.

12. If you could choose to be any animal, what would it be?

I would like to be a dog with an owner like me. Dogs are loyal, protective, and they enjoy to the utmost even the simplest pleasures of life. When treated with love, they will sacrifice themselves to protect their owner.

13. What kind of music do you like?

I have very eclectic taste in music. There is no "type" of music that I don't enjoy from Classical such as Verde, Wagner, and Tchaikovsky to the Beatles, the Rolling Stones and other more modern Rock and Roll. I like Country Music and Bluegrass, as well as Jazz and Rap.

14. If you could be any movie character, who would it be?

Probably James Bond. He is suave, debonair, calm, cool, and collected, even in the face of imminent danger - all traits that I wish I had but do not.

15. If someone wrote a book about your life, what would the title be?

"He made us Laugh"
Great interview, Phil! Thanks for sharing this.

Top Bottom