What's new

Cricket question

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
The 1st February 1981 will never be forgotten. I don't think that NZ have ever forgiven Australia for bowling underarm the final ball in the ODI.

Does the bowler have to bounce the ball a certain distance away from the wickets when bowling?
No they don't have to bounce it and the distance can very to try and beat the batsman. Say the batsman charges out of the wicket, the bowler may try and shorten the length. While you can't bowl so short it bonces over the head of the batsman the bowler will still do so ever now and then to unsettle the batsman.

What is the penalty if he should ever not bounce it?
No penalty unless it is deem a wide. Over the shoulders, or out of reach of the batsman. That's a point to the batting team and the ball needs to be bowled again.

If the bowler bowls, it misses the wickets, the batsman swings and misses but the ball was deemed hitable. What is that considered and what happens next?
Nothing there.
Sometimes it may appear he's just missed it and you will see a appeal if the ball was caught. Often the slightest nick of the ball can be heard and but hard to see.

All of the quick clips that I've been watching have a result either for the bowler or the batsman, so I really need to watch a full test to understand.

Stumping
LBW Leg before wicket

Here's a clip of Lance Cairns 6 sixes which is a not normal at all. Lance was deaf so preferred to hit out instead of run as he had trouble hearing the other batsman calls. He would of fitted in well in the modern 20/20 format.

I remember watching that game. Was at the MCG if I remember correctly (no guarantees on that though). Again, if memory serves correct NZ were hammered in that match.
The 1st February 1981 will never be forgotten. I don't think that NZ have ever forgiven Australia for bowling underarm the final ball in the ODI.
No, they haven't. I also remember that match. Brian McKechnie (also an All Black) needed a six of the last ball to tie the match when Greg Chappell instructed Trevor Chappell to bowl underarm. That sort of carry on is "just not cricket".

The term would be 6 for 4 in cricket, meaning 6 runs for the loss of 4 whickets, or 6 off 4 meaning 6 runs from 4 balls bowled.

Don't they teach you cricket in US elementary schools?
One thing I have noticed is most countries would say 123/5, meaning 123 runs for the loss of 5 wickets. Australia will say 5/123 to mean the same thing.

The Lords website Laws of Cricket|MCC should tell you all that you need to know.

I use to go to Boxing and Football, but I enjoyed a day at a Test Match as much as anything.
There was always a great atmosphere and banter when England were playing Australia or West Indies.
I only wish that I’d been at Headingley in 1981 when Botham and Willis destroyed Australia.
R.I.P. Bob Willis.

Legion

Staff member
Remember the time our prime minister decided to open the batting against a class bowler and got his face smashed in?

He got a lot of points for those stones.

Can’t recall a local politician doing anything in the modern era that didn’t make them look soft as. A different time.

C000D9B7-1CD1-4A5F-95B3-048F2A0F856A.jpeg

To put that into a USA perspective, name a recent president who would risk a fastball to the face, just because they love the sport.

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I remember watching that game. Was at the MCG if I remember correctly (no guarantees on that though). Again, if memory serves correct NZ were hammered in that match.

No, they haven't. I also remember that match. Brian McKechnie (also an All Black) needed a six of the last ball to tie the match when Greg Chappell instructed Trevor Chappell to bowl underarm. That sort of carry on is "just not cricket".

Your memory serves you right. Chris's gallant efforts while impressive were not enough.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Remember the time our prime minister decided to open the batting against a class bowler and got his face smashed in?

He got a lot of points for those stones.

Can’t recall a local politician doing anything in the modern era that didn’t make them look soft as. A different time.

View attachment 1484080
To put that into a USA perspective, name a recent president who would risk a fastball to the face, just because they love the sport.
Teddy Roosevelt is the last one I can think of.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped

There's a good reason it has not been forgotten or ever repeated. A shameful day for the sport, that's just not cricket.
If you want to bowl like that, go play lawn bowls.

When I first started work in the 1980s men would take a week of holiday to watch a five day test match. Often they were not even going to the match, they just listened on the radio. It seems there was more interest in the long format game in those days. Now a five day match that could easily end in a draw does not attract the crowds, or the money. Instead it is limited over floodlit cricket with stupidly named teams wearing pyjamas smashing every ball to the boundary. It is a sad symptom of the short attention span of the modern viewer, the need for instant gratification, and the willingness of the cricket authorities to abandon traditional cricket in pursuit of money. All that said, I cannot abide the game, it is the most tedious thing I have ever seen, even worse than baseball 🤣 Inevitably that causes cricket fans to say - "You just don't understand the game". 😂
I grew up playing baseball, and as an adult have watched a number of limited over cricket matches. The similarities between the games make it easy to understand the basics of cricket, but the subtleties have been harder to pick up.

All that to say that I gave begun to think that a proper test match is the proper form of the game?? That something is loss in the limited overs format? Especially the battle between the bowler (pitcher) and batter? Where baseball has a pitch limit (plus the potential for a few extra pitches for foul balls on 3-2 count), traditional cricket has a true battle of skills and wits between the bowler and batsman, where there is the potential for many pitches (balls/bowls) before the batter commits to putting the ball in play, as a skilled batsman will otherwise turn great bowls into tiny ground balls which amount to nothing (foul balls in baseball analogy). Perhaps this is boring to watch, but it puts the batsman and bowler on equal terms. Where in comparison a limited over match basically begs players to swing for the fences (boundary) as there is a limited pitch count to generate the maximum run potential. As a cricket novice I have felt there needs to be some tweaking of the rules in limited overs to make it more dramatic, but I am not sure what those should be.

Thank you for all of the responses. I think this right here is one of the reasons why I love my time on b&b. I get the answer to my question three different ways. Factual, nuanced, plus commentary.

As far as presidents go Teddy would probably be the last however Gerald Ford was an All-American football player in college. I don't know if that counts

Legion

Staff member
Thank you for all of the responses. I think this right here is one of the reasons why I love my time on b&b. I get the answer to my question three different ways. Factual, nuanced, plus commentary.

As far as presidents go Teddy would probably be the last however Gerald Ford was an All-American football player in college. I don't know if that counts
Only if he quarterbacked a Superbowl while in office, just for fun, and just because nobody could stop him.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius

Reagan split his own wood while (and after) he was president.

Bush the Elder was a bomber pilot in the Pacific during WWII. On a particular mission, he and his crew took out a number of targets before having to ditch after taking too much enemy fire (and was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for that mission). He would go skydiving every five years on his birthday, the last time being on his 90th.

I hate to digress to severely, but the only other thing I have to contribute was that I had a failed golden opportunity to learn a great deal about cricket. I was on a cruise while India and England were going to have a cricket match. It was going to be on the ESPN feed out in the Caribbean. The bartender, a fantastic Jamaican fellow named Nelson, was all excited. I told him that I was dying to learn more about cricket, and he offered to open the bar early (if allowed) and talk me through it. I got to the bar at 8:30 or 9 or whatever time of the morning things were to get going, all ready and willing to learn (over a Bloody Caesar or few). The dadgum satellite feed was so cruddy that we couldn't watch the match.

We survived, but I still know jack about cricket.

I live in the UK and I grew up playing and watching cricket. Test Match cricket is by far favourite format as it’s the ultimate test of a players technique and mental strength. I totally get how difficult it might be to not only know the rules but also the many nuances of the game if you haven’t been brought up to watch it. It is a very social game to watch, the game stops for lunch and tea and most spectators bring food and drink with them. The spectators will show their appreciation of the opposing players shots, bowling feats and good fielding skills as well as milestone scores eg 50, 100, 150 etc by applauding. As you can probably tell, I love it.

Legion

Staff member
Another point worth mentioning.

Although Cricket and baseballs are thrown at about the same speed, a cricket ball is harder and heavier. It is also bouncing off the ground to closely the same hight as the batsman's jewels.

Keep that in mind...

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
I’ve seen a lot of great fast bowlers since Freddie Trueman and Wes Hall, but I don’t recall a more hostile over than this.

Ah the 70's. When men were men, and helmets were for cry babies.

Reminds me of the "Bodyline" series in the 30's.

I live in the UK and I grew up playing and watching cricket. Test Match cricket is by far favourite format as it’s the ultimate test of a players technique and mental strength. I totally get how difficult it might be to not only know the rules but also the many nuances of the game if you haven’t been brought up to watch it. It is a very social game to watch, the game stops for lunch and tea and most spectators bring food and drink with them. The spectators will show their appreciation of the opposing players shots, bowling feats and good fielding skills as well as milestone scores eg 50, 100, 150 etc by applauding. As you can probably tell, I love it.
Even for people that have grown up playing the game the rules can get confusing. I have had arguments with umpires on field before about various rules and their interpretation (leg side wides when a batsman shuffles across, no balls for height when a spinner is bowling, when someone is clearly chucking it and not bowling etc...)

Top Bottom