What's new

Baseball Question

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
I have a different question , if a batter is a switch hitter can he take a pitch batting left handed then step to the other side and take a pitch right handed in the same at bat

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I have a different question , if a batter is a switch hitter can he take a pitch batting left handed then step to the other side and take a pitch right handed in the same at bat
Yes, up until the point the pitcher starts his windup. The batter cannot move once the pitcher has started his windup. If the batter moves once the windup has started it’s an automatic out.

I know little about baseball. I have watch snippets of it on the idiot box many years ago but could never see what was so good about it when compared to test cricket. I did play softball as a little boy in elementary school.

My question is, is a pitcher (the one who throws the ball at the batsman) allowed to bounce the ball in the ground during the delivery?
Not sure if the part I bolded was intended as a conversation starter or just some musings as it related to the pitcher.

IMO they way runs are scored leads to more dramatic points during a baseball game. Given that runners must advance around the bases before any runs are scored, there are a usually a couple of key sequences (batter/pitcher match ups) that determine the outcome of the game, which increases the importance of those moments in the game, making them make or break moments for fans watching. This also has a big impact on the strategy used by the offense and defense as runner gets on base relative to the number of outs or the stage of the game. And it effects how pitchers are used or not. In baseball once a pitcher has been pulled off the mound he cannot return to pitch at a later point in the game.

In comparison cricket is much more focused on the bowler/batter match up. I have only watched limited overs matches, and found it interesting how the bowler could be brought back again and again if desired. Cricket has almost the opposite personnel match up flow from baseball in that a single batsmen (pair of batsmen) might face all the bowlers before they got put out, where in baseball a single pitcher typically faces all the batters before being pulled off the mound.

Over time I have come to appreciate cricket and its traditions. I especially like 360 degree playing field and how there is a physical stump and not a umpire defined strike zone, though the LBW (leg before wicket) judgement call is almost as troublesome. But one aspect I don't care for is that it is basically a one inning game. While it would interrupt the flow and be time consuming, if the teams traded offense and defense sides after a certain number of overs it might change the strategy used by the teams, and keep fans on edge. I say this mostly watching teenagers play, if they are not evenly matched it is not as fun to watch the strong team bat first and put up a score the other team is unlikely to match.

My question is, is a pitcher (the one who throws the ball at the batsman) allowed to bounce the ball in the ground during the delivery?
If the ball hits the ground on the way to homeplate, it's automatically considered a 'ball' as opposed to a 'strike', and at least in the Major Leagues it's replaced by a new ball.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
St. Louis is a baseball town. As the Cardinals just swept the division rival Chicago Cubs, it will be a huge weekend: the York Yankees come to town for a 3-game series. These two teams have only met 12x since 2000.

The Yankees and Cardinals have combined to win 38 of the 117 World Series championships. One-third of the Fall Classic titles will be represented by "pinstripes" and "birds on the bat" uniforms this weekend at Busch Stadium. Both teams are in first place, so this could be a preview of the 2022 World Series match up.

nyy-stl.jpg

St. Louis is a baseball town. As the Cardinals just swept the division rival Chicago Cubs, it will be a huge weekend: the York Yankees come to town for a 3-game series. These two teams have only met 12x since 2000.

The Yankees and Cardinals have combined to win 38 of the 117 World Series championships. One-third of the Fall Classic titles will be represented by "pinstripes" and "birds on the bat" uniforms this weekend at Busch Stadium. Both teams are in first place, so this could be a preview of the 2022 World Series match up.

View attachment 1499900
Two of the most storied organizations in ALL of sports worldwide.😊👍⚾

View attachment 1499900
GO Cubs!!!! And take the Bears with you!

Long time Redbird fan here! Got Rings??

I got to page 2 and then stopped. Sorry. The midnight oil doesn't burn long. If this hasn't actually been answered, see below.
Ok, I'll try and put it more simply.
  1. If a ball touches the ground before it reaches the home mat, does that (and that only) make it a "ball" (in cricket a "no ball")?
  2. If the correct answer to 1. is no, the ball passes over the home mat at an acceptable height and the batsman does not strike at it, is that counted as a "strike" or a "(no)ball"?
Watching a game or part thereof of baseball is not going to educate me on this matter. I doubt that I would see a ball touch the ground during a pitch (throw).

A BALL is a pitch which does not enter the strike zone in flight and is not struck at by the batter. If the pitch touches the ground and bounces through the strike zone it is a “ball.”

Furthermore

If the pitch touches the ground and bounces through the strike zone it is a “ball.” If such a pitch touches the batter, he shall be awarded first base. If the batter swings at such a pitch after two strikes, the ball cannot be caught, for the purposes of Rule 5.05(b) and 5.09(a)(3).
-------------
The balls are different and mound to plate "bowling pitch" is different. If the pitcher bounces the ball it will probably hit grass and it will lose much more velocity in baseball compared to cricket.

Now having said that.. here 's vlad hitting a bounced pitch. He's done it a couple of times.

Top Bottom