What's new

Baseball Question

Just to completely muddy the waters...

As a grade school kid playing pickup ball after school or on summer break we could usually get no more than 5 or 6 players, total. So we had 'ghost runners' and no catcher. And usually very weak pitching. The whole point was to get the ball in play. Actual pitches in the strike zone were rare.

If the batter could get to the ball, inside, outside, short, bouncing, heck, even rolling sometimes; he tried to hit it and run to first. If he didn't hit it he had to stop it with his foot or chase it to the backstop - no catcher.

Now that's baseball!

Who’s on first?

Yeah, and What's on second. And there have been dogs in relief all over the outfield.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
The rules only state that the pitcher must "deliver the ball to the batter" so the determinant of strike or ball is whether or not the ball crosses the plate in the strike zone, irrespective of how it got there.

At least that is what I take from a cursory look at the actual rules.

#EDIT Correction:

Take a closer look. In order to be a strike, the ball has to pass through the strike zone "in flight," which means it's not hit the ground, and the comments clarify that does not include a ball that hits the ground and then bounces through the strike zone.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Take a closer look. In order to be a strike, the ball has to pass through the strike zone "in flight," which means it's not hit the ground, and the comments clarify that does not include a ball that hits the ground and then bounces through the strike zone.

Yes, you missed my correction. I don't know my way around the rule book :p

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Your two answers are confusing to me. Do you mean that if a ball hits the ground before reaching the home plate and passes through the strike zone is considered a strike if the batter doesn't swing?

No. The opposite. That's a ball.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Thank you gentlemen. The consensus for post #23 seems to be:
  1. Yes
  2. Ball (really not applicable)

Showers please!!!!!!
And if you think this last little discussion is confusing….How about being at a game and all of a sudden a ghost runner appears on second base???

In 2022, baseball is bringing back the automatic runner in extra innings after support of the rule by players and managers. The rule was a byproduct of the COVID-19-affected 2020 and 2021 seasons, and places a runner on second base to begin each half-inning from the 10th inning onward.Apr 7, 2022

Thank you gentlemen. The consensus for post #23 seems to be:
  1. Yes
  2. Ball (really not applicable)
1. "does that (and that only) make it a 'ball'" : Yes, but it can be made a strike if the batter swings at the ball.
2. N/A. But if the batter swings it doesn't matter if the ball is in the strike zone or in the stands. So the skill of the pitcher (bowler?) is irrelevant.

And if you think this last little discussion is confusing….How about being at a game and all of a sudden a ghost runner appears on second base???

In 2022, baseball is bringing back the automatic runner in extra innings after support of the rule by players and managers. The rule was a byproduct of the COVID-19-affected 2020 and 2021 seasons, and places a runner on second base to begin each half-inning from the 10th inning onward.Apr 7, 2022
Please no.

No pitcher (bowler) in his right mind would intentionally throw the ball in the dirt before it reaches the batter. The pitcher might try to lure the batter to swing at a bad pitch but rarely do they intentionally throw it the dirt.
As you might know baseball pitchers throw different pitches which make the ball move in ways which make it difficult to hit. They do this by different spin rates or no spin at all so the ball almost floats… knuckle ball
The biggest difference besides bouncing the ball in is cricket bowlers don’t break their arms at the elbow while throwing. Pitching a baseball is a completely different motion. And of course no run up to release the ball as in cricket. The baseball is thrown off a raised mound.

Top Bottom