What's new

Baseball Question

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I know little about baseball. I have watch snippets of it on the idiot box many years ago but could never see what was so good about it when compared to test cricket. I did play softball as a little boy in elementary school.

My question is, is a pitcher (the one who throws the ball at the batsman) allowed to bounce the ball in the ground during the delivery?

There is nothing illegal about bouncing the ball before it reaches the batter at home plate. However the catcher might not be able to catch the ball. If that happens with a man on base the runner could advance. Also it would be deemed a “ball” by the umpire.4 called balls and the batter is awarded first base.
A called “ball” is opposite of a thrown “strike”. 3 strikes and the batter is out. 4 balls the batter is awarded first base.
The batter doesn’t have to swing unlike cricket but if the ball stays within the strike zone the umpire calls a strike. If it’s outside the strike zone it’s called a ball.
The strike zone is roughly chest high at the letters of the uniform and at the knees. The width is 17 inches which is over home plate. Unfortunately it’s not a fixed zone and different umpires interpret it differently.It’s in the opinion of the home plate umpire. There is talk to make balls and strikes called by a computer like the lines in tennis. That will take the subjectivity out of the game.
Anymore enquires just ask. I love the game.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@sanookd thank you for your detailed reply. I understand that a ball needs to be between a certain height when it passes over the home mat to be considered a valid delivery.

The reason I ask this question is that I was wondering how a good spin bowler from chricket would be at delivering a ball in baseball. A spin bowler of some experience can have a ball swing outward during initial flight and then swing inward after it strikes the ground and pass over the home mat at an acceptable height.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Also…If a bounced ball hits the batter, the batter is awarded a walk to first just like getting hit by a pitch that does not bounce.⚾
A good cricket spin bowlers can place a ball directly over the home mat at an acceptable height. My understanding is that if a baseball batsman gets hit by a ball that is over the home mat and at an acceptable height, it's his own stupid fault and he (the batsman) gets nothing except the discomfort.

So am I bright in assuming that there is a rule in baseball that says the ball must not touch the ground during a delivery?
Not sure what you mean by “must not.” If it hits the ground it’s not a strike. It would be a ball. You throw 4 balls and the batter walks (a free advance to first base. In essence an automatic hit). If you hit the batter he also gets a walk.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
There is no such rule in baseball.
Thank you. So a bowler (pitcher) can "throw" the ball as an out-swinger, have the ball strike the ground before it gets to the home mat, pass over the mat at an acceptable height and all is good?

This is not overly difficult for a good spin bowler from cricket. It would also make it very difficult for a baseball (or cricket) batsman to successfully hit for a scoring run.

Thank you. So a bowler (pitcher) can "throw" the ball as an out-swinger, have the ball strike the ground before it gets to the home mat, pass over the mat at an acceptable height and all is good?

This is not overly difficult for a good spin bowler from cricket. It would also make it very difficult for a baseball (or cricket) batsman to successfully hit for a scoring run.
No

I was wondering how a good spin bowler from chricket would be at delivering a ball in baseball.

They'd have to be "pitching" on a prepared wicket to get decent enough spin to make a difference. Most baseball grounds are not prepared to deliver spin, seam, or bounce.

We could have another 30-page thread on the ancient art of preparing a pitch! :)

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
The playing surfaces between the pitcher/bowler are completely different. In Cricket it is expected that some bowlers will bounce the ball in their delivery so the area between the bowler and the batsman is uniform and made for this. Every baseball field is different. You’d be hard pressed to get a ball to bounce the same on two different fields. Also in baseball if the ball hits the ground it’s an automatic ball **unless** the batter swings at it which 99% of batters won’t do.

In Baseball, the ball must not touch the ground when the pitcher pitches the ball. If it does, then as stated before, it is considered a "ball". A pitcher is allowed 4 balls before the batter is allowed to take the base. If the ball touches the ground or is outside the strike zone it is called a ball as long as the batter does NOT swing at the ball. A good pitcher can throw a wicked curve ball that appears to go one way or another BUT the pitcher has put "english" (I.E. spin) on the ball which makes it cure in mid air. There is no penalty against the pitcher or the pitchers team if the ball does hit the ground on the pitch, other than the aforementioned "ball" being called.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member

Go to YouTube and watch a game. Or highlight reel.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
A pitch that hits the ground is a live and is a pitch like any other. As @Whisky mentioned, it's only a "ball" if the batter doesn’t swing (even if it bounces back up into the strike zone). If the batter swings and misses, it's a strike.

The batter most certainly can swing at it and can even hit it to put it into play.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Thank you @Shaving like a boss. I was getting confused with different responses.

@silverlifter, being a rather abid cricket fan, I am aware that condition of the pitch has a great bearing on spin bowling. My question was relating to the legality of bouncing the ball in baseball, not if it was a good idea.

In Baseball, the ball must not touch the ground when the pitcher pitches the ball. If it does, then as stated before, it is considered a "ball". A pitcher is allowed 4 balls before the batter is allowed to take the base. If the ball touches the ground or is outside the strike zone it is called a ball as long as the batter does NOT swing at the ball. A good pitcher can throw a wicked curve ball that appears to go one way or another BUT the pitcher has put "english" (I.E. spin) on the ball which makes it cure in mid air. There is no penalty against the pitcher or the pitchers team if the ball does hit the ground on the pitch, other than the aforementioned "ball" being
A pitch that hits the ground is a live and is a pitch like any other. As @Whisky mentioned, it's only a "ball" if the batter doesn’t swing (even if it bounces back up into the strike zone). If the batter swings and misses, it's a strike.

The batter most certainly can swing at it and can even hit it to put it into play.
All true!

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
So if a pitcher throws a ball in this zone, it is a strike. But if the pitcher throws the ball and it strikes the pitch, it is a ball. Except, of course, when the batter swings from the balls of his feet, strikes at the ball, and misses, then it is a strike.

Who’s on first?

Top Bottom