What's new

Cricket question

Ah the 70's. When men were men, and helmets were for cry babies.

Reminds me of the "Bodyline" series in the 30's.
Someone asked Brian Close if he would ever wear a helmet, he said I wouldn’t even bother wearing pads against some of today’s bowlers.

Were Jardine and Larwood really hated in Australia?

Legion

Staff member
Someone asked Brian Close if he would ever wear a helmet, he said I wouldn’t even bother wearing pads against some of today’s bowlers.

Before my time, but I definitely expect so. People got awfully worked up about this stuff before TV sedated them.

And Bradman was our national hero.

Does the bowler have to bounce the ball a certain distance away from the wickets when bowling?
No they don't have to bounce it and the distance can very to try and beat the batsman. Say the batsman charges out of the wicket, the bowler may try and shorten the length. While you can't bowl so short it bonces over the head of the batsman the bowler will still do so ever now and then to unsettle the batsman.

What is the penalty if he should ever not bounce it?
No penalty unless it is deem a wide. Over the shoulders, or out of reach of the batsman. That's a point to the batting team and the ball needs to be bowled again.

If the bowler bowls, it misses the wickets, the batsman swings and misses but the ball was deemed hitable. What is that considered and what happens next?
Nothing there.
Sometimes it may appear he's just missed it and you will see a appeal if the ball was caught. Often the slightest nick of the ball can be heard and but hard to see.

All of the quick clips that I've been watching have a result either for the bowler or the batsman, so I really need to watch a full test to understand.

Stumping
LBW Leg before wicket

Here's a clip of Lance Cairns 6 sixes which is a not normal at all. Lance was deaf so preferred to hit out instead of run as he had trouble hearing the other batsman calls. He would of fitted in well in the modern 20/20 format.

Just to add a few more points to the above (the joy of cricket is that nothing is every straight forward and it also changes between formats (test, One Day International (ODI), T20, The Hundred, the 6ixty, T10, indoor cricket, Hong Kong 6s...)

Does the bowler have to bounce the ball a certain distance away from the wickets when bowling?
No they don't have to bounce it and the distance can very to try and beat the batsman. Say the batsman charges out of the wicket, the bowler may try and shorten the length. While you can't bowl so short it bonces over the head of the batsman the bowler will still do so ever now and then to unsettle the batsman. If it bounces and goes over the batsmans head (or would have passed over head height if the batsman was standing upright) it's a no ball. The batting team get an extra run and the bowler has to bowl an extra ball. In ODI and T20 a no ball also means the next ball is a "free hit" whereby the batsman can't get out (apart from being run out). They are also only allowed to bowl two balls that bounce and go between shoulder and head height per over in test and ODI and one per over in T20 (known as a bouncer). Any more bouncers in the over are called no balls and the same rules apply regarding the extra run, extra ball and free hit. It is also a no-ball if a ball bounces more than twice before reaching the batsman.

What is the penalty if he should ever not bounce it?
No penalty unless it is deem a wide. Over the shoulders, or out of reach of the batsman. That's a point to the batting team and the ball needs to be bowled again. If it doesn't bounce (known as a full toss or beamer) and it is above waist height then it would be a no ball as opposed to a wide when it is out of his reach. The same no ball rules would apply as above.

If the bowler bowls, it misses the wickets, the batsman swings and misses but the ball was deemed hitable. What is that considered and what happens next?
Nothing there.
Sometimes it may appear he's just missed it and you will see a appeal if the ball was caught. Often the slightest nick of the ball can be heard and but hard to see. @Berwick12 if you ever watch a test match, you will find out that it's not uncommon for 20-30% of balls being left by batsman (when they don't even attempt to hit it) and probably another 10-20% of balls a batsman plays and misses (depending on how good the bowler is and how tough the batsman is finding it!).

You should check out the Cricket USA website, USA Cricket - The official website of United States of America cricket team - https://www.usacricket.org/ they often have live coverage of their matches streamed on it. Another excellent cricket website is www.espncricinfo.com and if you are on Facebook look up "The Grade Cricketer" which is a comedy page about the frustration and joys of being a club cricketer (Australian based but it applies to everywhere). You should also check out "Cricket Fever: Mumbai Indians" on Netflix and "The Test: A New Era for Australia's Team" on Amazon Prime for an insight into the game and players.

Close was well before my time, but having watched "Fire in Babylon" it's scary seeing what he was able to get hit with and just shrug off!

Remember the time our prime minister decided to open the batting against a class bowler and got his face smashed in?

He got a lot of points for those stones.

Can’t recall a local politician doing anything in the modern era that didn’t make them look soft as. A different time.

View attachment 1484080
To put that into a USA perspective, name a recent president who would risk a fastball to the face, just because they love the sport.
Not a politician, but watching Brett Lee bowling (front foot no balls as well) to the "journalist" Piers Morgan was hilarious to watch. Piers is not well liked in the UK in general and made fun of the England team for getting bounced out by Johnson I think it was in the 2013-2014 Ashes series so Brett Lee challenged him...

Even for people that have grown up playing the game the rules can get confusing. I have had arguments with umpires on field before about various rules and their interpretation (leg side wides when a batsman shuffles across, no balls for height when a spinner is bowling, when someone is clearly chucking it and not bowling etc...)
This is very true, I have never read a rule book but just learned by watching or listening. There are many rules that I wouldn’t know, you are always learning something new in this game.

I grew up playing baseball, and as an adult have watched a number of limited over cricket matches. The similarities between the games make it easy to understand the basics of cricket, but the subtleties have been harder to pick up.

All that to say that I gave begun to think that a proper test match is the proper form of the game?? That something is loss in the limited overs format? Especially the battle between the bowler (pitcher) and batter? Where baseball has a pitch limit (plus the potential for a few extra pitches for foul balls on 3-2 count), traditional cricket has a true battle of skills and wits between the bowler and batsman, where there is the potential for many pitches (balls/bowls) before the batter commits to putting the ball in play, as a skilled batsman will otherwise turn great bowls into tiny ground balls which amount to nothing (foul balls in baseball analogy). Perhaps this is boring to watch, but it puts the batsman and bowler on equal terms. Where in comparison a limited over match basically begs players to swing for the fences (boundary) as there is a limited pitch count to generate the maximum run potential. As a cricket novice I have felt there needs to be some tweaking of the rules in limited overs to make it more dramatic, but I am not sure what those should be.

Totally agree.

The Windies were the team to beat when I was growing up in 1970s and 80s. Viv Richards was my hero, happy days.
If you haven't seen or read the book already you should try and get a hold of Fire in Babylon about the WI rise to dominance. I think the film is in YouTube in full

If you haven't seen or read the book already you should try and get a hold of Fire in Babylon about the WI rise to dominance. I think the film is in YouTube in full

Cheers I’ll have a look at that film, no good at reading books as I’m dyslexic unfortunately.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Reagan split his own wood while (and after) he was president.

Bush the Elder was a bomber pilot in the Pacific during WWII. On a particular mission, he and his crew took out a number of targets before having to ditch after taking too much enemy fire (and was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for that mission). He would go skydiving every five years on his birthday, the last time being on his 90th.

I hate to digress to severely, but the only other thing I have to contribute was that I had a failed golden opportunity to learn a great deal about cricket. I was on a cruise while India and England were going to have a cricket match. It was going to be on the ESPN feed out in the Caribbean. The bartender, a fantastic Jamaican fellow named Nelson, was all excited. I told him that I was dying to learn more about cricket, and he offered to open the bar early (if allowed) and talk me through it. I got to the bar at 8:30 or 9 or whatever time of the morning things were to get going, all ready and willing to learn (over a Bloody Caesar or few). The dadgum satellite feed was so cruddy that we couldn't watch the match.

We survived, but I still know jack about cricket.
Reagan did a photo op of him splitting wood. No way he did this on a regular basis.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Not a politician, but watching Brett Lee bowling (front foot no balls as well) to the "journalist" Piers Morgan was hilarious to watch. Piers is not well liked in the UK in general and made fun of the England team for getting bounced out by Johnson I think it was in the 2013-2014 Ashes series so Brett Lee challenged him...

Piers Morgan- even his own people don’t like him. :)

I love to watch cricket, although I was rubbish playing it. England's recent matches against NZ and India were amazing performances, given the previous Ashes and tour to WI. I'm not so keen on T20 or The Hundred and wonder what next, one bowler bowling one ball at the stumps... Test Matches are called that for a reason, a test of each player at some stage over 5 days while we sit, eat and drink our way through it.

I can happily watch any teams playing, but to the comments about cricket being a religion in India, I would caveat that by saying Indian cricket is the religion - I have an Indian friend who lives in Dubai, and until recently Pakistan played their "home" matches in various stadia in the UAE. They were playing NZ (if I recall correctly) and I asked Minesh, for 'tis his name, if he was going to catch any of it - I would have gone in a heartbeat if it was on my doorstep - and he was genuinely puzzled at the concept of watching a match not involving India.

I am from the US but went to a private school for a while so I played Cricket ;) hahahaha leave it to private schools to do this kinda like lacross or something not very mainstream

the downside to cricket and being in a private school in the 70s when discipline was a thing
was a cricket bat aka willow was always around for the miss-behaving kids :)

just was listening to talksport whislt shaving the dome,
the english player whos debut it was just literally took three wickets of the indian top batters out, made me laugh as i thought of this thread lool 😂😅

The Windies were the team to beat when I was growing up in 1970s and 80s. Viv Richards was my hero, happy days.
I saw them play several times in the 70s 80s and 90s and I think that they were the best team that I ever saw.
At Edgbaston at the 1984 Test I had my first taste of Jamaican White Rum. That should have been called whispering death as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom