What's new

Baseball Question

Javier Baez would!
There have been a few guys who would try to pop one out of the dirt from time to time, but in the spirit of the question no one would swing at a ball out of the dirt that was delivered with enough skill to make it a difficult pitch.

There have been a few guys who would try to pop one out of the dirt from time to time, but in the spirit of the question no one would swing at a ball out of the dirt that was delivered with enough skill to make it a difficult pitch.
I’ve watched Javier do it many times while he was a Cub. He was a great defensive player but some of his swings were really questionable. Talk about reaching for a bad pitch….. He was the poster boy for that.

A baseball pitcher does not intentionally try to bounce the ball off of the ground and up into the strike zone.
Not sure if there is a rule that says they couldn't try, but that would be very unusual for someone to do that.
Some of the trick pitches that they throw do hit the dirt before they reach the plate, but they're not trying to bounce it up there, they are just trying to deceive the batter into swinging at something that they hopefully won't be able to hit.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I guess I figured a guy like you would appreciate straight to the point answers with no details or explanation whatsoever about a sport you’re not familiar with.…..

🤔

To answer your three questions:
  1. No.
  2. None.
  3. It is not considered anything and the game just continues.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I guess I figured a guy like you would appreciate straight to the point answers with no details or explanation whatsoever about a sport you’re not familiar with.…..

🤔
I am not totally ignorant of the rules of baseball but I am certainly no expert. Hence the question(s).

I prefer direct answers to a question. Then, if further explanation is required, it will be asked for. Providing explanations with the answer is only trying to guess what the questioner wants to know and may only further confuse him about the answer. That was what was happening to me in this thread. I was getting confused.

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
  1. If a ball touches the ground before it reaches the home mat, does that (and that only) make it a "ball" (in cricket a "no ball")?
Yes
  1. If the correct answer to 1. is no, the ball passes over the home mat at an acceptable height and the batsman does not strike at it, is that counted as a "strike" or a "(no)ball"?
The thrown ball, if it touches the ground is a "ball", even if it bounces through the strike zone.
But if the batter swings at a ball that hits the ground and misses, it is then a "strike".

In summary.

1. Regardless of any other factor, if the batter swings his bat and misses the ball, it is a strike.

2. With rare exceptions, if the thrown ball hits the batter, the batter advances to first base.

3. A thrown ball that does not touch the ground, does not touch the batter, goes through the strike zone, and the batter does not swing - is a strike.

4. A thrown ball that does not touch the ground, does not touch the batter, does not go through the strike zone, and the batter does not swing - is a ball.

5. A thrown ball, that touches the ground, whether it goes through the strike zone or not - is a ball. Unless the batter swings and misses, in which case - it is a strike as per No. 1 above.

Last edited:

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
He also say, no hot mustard or soy sauce included in my Uber Eats order.

Attachments

• R.jpg
    R.jpg
    540.3 KB · Views: 3
@sanookd thank you for your detailed reply. I understand that a ball needs to be between a certain height when it passes over the home mat to be considered a valid delivery.

The reason I ask this question is that I was wondering how a good spin bowler from chricket would be at delivering a ball in baseball. A spin bowler of some experience can have a ball swing outward during initial flight and then swing inward after it strikes the ground and pass over the home mat at an acceptable height.
If they kept it of the ground and made some modifications to their delivery, I bet they could throw a heck of a curveball or slider.

Top Bottom