What's new

Cricket question

I am just getting into cricket due to one of my favorite YouTubers doing a couple breakdowns on it. Being American cricket is not really a major sport on this side of the pond. You have any good YouTube channels to follow regarding full rules and nuances of the game please send those along. The next large down time I get I'm going to watch a full international instead of just a short clips.

Three questions

Does the bowler have to bounce the ball a certain distance away from the wickets when bowling?

What is the penalty if he should ever not bounce it?

If the bowler bowls, it misses the wickets, the batsman swings and misses but the ball was deemed hitable. What is that considered and what happens next?

All of the quick clips that I've been watching have a result either for the bowler or the batsman, so I really need to watch a full test to understand.

Legion

Staff member
Not a cricket fan, but here goes.

The ball should bounce, but does not have to (full toss). If it bounces that allows for many more options, re. spin, etc.

The distance is not regulated, but cant bounce above the batsman's waist. No beaning the batsman in the head.

If the ball is not hit and misses the wicket the game continues, and it is bowled again

Watch one day cricket to pick up the rules without being bored into a coma. Test matches are for those who enjoy watching seagulls while they get drunk on warm beer.

I'm sure a cricket expert (rather than someone who was forced to play it at school) will chime in with corrections or clarification.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I am just getting into cricket due to one of my favorite YouTubers doing a couple breakdowns on it. Being American cricket is not really a major sport on this side of the pond. You have any good YouTube channels to follow regarding full rules and nuances of the game please send those along. The next large down time I get I'm going to watch a full international instead of just a short clips.

Three questions

Does the bowler have to bounce the ball a certain distance away from the wickets when bowling?

If the bowler bowls, it misses the wickets, the batsman swings and misses but the ball was deemed hitable. What is that considered and what happens next?

All of the quick clips that I've been watching have a result either for the bowler or the batsman, so I really need to watch a full test to understand.
To answer your three questions:
  1. No.
  2. None.
  3. It is not considered anything and the game just continues.

Try the 20/20 or the newer 100 game. Way faster and dare I say more exciting. Cricket is a gentlemanly game and rough housing is frowned upon. Its only recently that cheering and not just clapping arrived.

Reactions: saj
One of the regrets I had from college was not attending an invitation to watch a Pakistan vs India cricket match with some of my classmates on their satellite TV. I also know nothing about the game, but it's supposedly one of the biggest rivalries in sports. Definitely something I'd choose to do differently if I could.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
When I first started work in the 1980s men would take a week of holiday to watch a five day test match. Often they were not even going to the match, they just listened on the radio. It seems there was more interest in the long format game in those days. Now a five day match that could easily end in a draw does not attract the crowds, or the money. Instead it is limited over floodlit cricket with stupidly named teams wearing pyjamas smashing every ball to the boundary. It is a sad symptom of the short attention span of the modern viewer, the need for instant gratification, and the willingness of the cricket authorities to abandon traditional cricket in pursuit of money. All that said, I cannot abide the game, it is the most tedious thing I have ever seen, even worse than baseball 🤣 Inevitably that causes cricket fans to say - "You just don't understand the game". 😂

Try the 20/20 or the newer 100 game. Way faster and dare I say more exciting. Cricket is a gentlemanly game and rough housing is frowned upon. Its only recently that cheering and not just clapping arrived.
Agreed, although I don't really watch cricket like I used to when I was younger the 20/20 format is interesting and even though some people view test cricket as boring in my teens I loved watching cricket like the ashes

My favourite team was the Aussies back in early 2000s, McGrath was the fast bowler and warne the leg spinner who inho were best bowling duo I've watched

Shane warne is the guy who I loved watching the most, what an amazing bowler

@Berwick12 went past edgbaston cricket stadium here in Birmingham UK the other day was England vs India, I'm so out of tune with cricket as I could think was why is it so busy lool 😂

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
When I first started work in the 1980s men would take a week of holiday to watch a five day test match. Often they were not even going to the match, they just listened on the radio. It seems there was more interest in the long format game in those days. Now a five day match that could easily end in a draw does not attract the crowds, or the money. Instead it is limited over floodlit cricket with stupidly named teams wearing pyjamas smashing every ball to the boundary. It is a sad symptom of the short attention span of the modern viewer, the need for instant gratification, and the willingness of the cricket authorities to abandon traditional cricket in pursuit of money. All that said, I cannot abide the game, it is the most tedious thing I have ever seen, even worse than baseball 🤣 Inevitably that causes cricket fans to say - "You just don't understand the game". 😂
Happy Gilmore Syndrome

cleanshaved

I’m stumped

Three questions

No they don't have to bounce it and the distance can very to try and beat the batsman. Say the batsman charges out of the wicket, the bowler may try and shorten the length. While you can't bowl so short it bonces over the head of the batsman the bowler will still do so ever now and then to unsettle the batsman.

No penalty unless it is deem a wide. Over the shoulders, or out of reach of the batsman. That's a point to the batting team and the ball needs to be bowled again.

Nothing there.
Sometimes it may appear he's just missed it and you will see a appeal if the ball was caught. Often the slightest nick of the ball can be heard and but hard to see.

Stumping
LBW Leg before wicket

Here's a clip of Lance Cairns 6 sixes which is a not normal at all. Lance was deaf so preferred to hit out instead of run as he had trouble hearing the other batsman calls. He would of fitted in well in the modern 20/20 format.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The term would be 6 for 4 in cricket, meaning 6 runs for the loss of 4 whickets, or 6 off 4 meaning 6 runs from 4 balls bowled.

Don't they teach you cricket in US elementary schools?
I'd wager 70% of people here have no idea that a game called cricket even exists.
Basketball and US football is played in schools, and fairly recently soccer, but most sports aren't "taught" per se at all in schools.

Three questions

Probably a 6...​

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Here where I live one can watch cricket nearly every afternoon/evening. We have a huge Indian population here and just tonight I drove by two school grounds where they were playing on the grassy areas. Who knows here in the USA what the Ashes are or what MCC stands for. I was training for my CAE and my teacher was from the UK and big cricket fan, so she loaded us up with a lot of knowledge I had not much use for the last 40 years or so.

Legion

Staff member
Here where I live one can watch cricket nearly every afternoon/evening. We have a huge Indian population here and just tonight I drove by two school grounds where they were playing on the grassy areas. Who knows here in the USA what the Ashes are or what MCC stands for. I was training for my CAE and my teacher was from the UK and big cricket fan, so she loaded us up with a lot of knowledge I had not much use for the last 40 years or so.
In India it is like a religion.

Here in Australia, even when the small local teams play, there are always dozens of Indian dudes sitting on folding chairs around the boundary watching.

When Australia plays India at the MCG they always break attendance records, and it's probably 90% India fans.

One sport that has passed me by, I find watching paint dry more exciting 😂 just listen to any English, Australian or Indian members who will know all about this game.

Top Bottom