What's new

Cobra Classic SE Tour

Thaks King for the wonderful review and tips! I think I have read a year or two worth of reviews in this thread. I am excited to move off the textbooks and into the love classroom!

The Cobra Classic arrived today. I've managed to get a shave in so I'll try to get a fair review out there.

Initial impression:

Immediately, the box is a nice touch. I like the magnetic flaps that keep it all closed, and the foam insert looks like it protects the razor and blades as well as makes for a nice presentation. So far, I'm liking what I see. The razor looks impressive. I've seen a lot of pictures of it on the forums and on the web, but it really needs to be seen in person to truly appreciate how well crafted it is. I remember when I first saw the pictures on the Classic Shaving website, I somehow got the impression that there was some black accents in the design. It wasn't until a few months later when I saw actual user pictures that I realized that it was all chrome in color. To be honest, I kind of wish it was how it looked in my head before finding that out. A little accent here or there with a contrast color would be kind of nice. But that's neither here nor there. It's beautifully weighted with a head that's much wider than I expected. I have a Schick Injector that I'm quite fond of and I figured the head design on the Cobra would be larger, but I'm not sure I was prepared for the actual size. "Metal Squeegee" kind of popped in my head for a moment.

First Shave:

Cobra Classic / Feather Blade / RR Mudder Focker / VDH Badger / HTGAM Tombstone AS

I loaded the razor up with a Feather blade. While the design is neat, actually getting the blade loaded and sitting centered produced more than a little frustration. I could get it seated perfectly, but the minute I went to close it up, the blade would slip. With a little patience, I managed to get the blade seated correctly.

The shave is outstanding. There's really nothing more that I could say, but I'll definitely try. I try not to use the word "efficient" when describing any kind of shave. It never seems appropriate. I've used many razors that are supposedly "efficient" (R41, Futur, Vision, NEW, Old Type, etc) and they remove hair well enough. For me, the Cobra Classic is the first razor to truly encapsulate the word efficient. I did a one pass shave with very few strokes and achieved near BBS results. That, my friends, is efficient. I typically do one pass shaves on all of my razors and get varying degrees of DFS with far more strokes. This was just a breeze. It's almost unfair. It flat out works.

It's an amazing razor and there's very little wrong with it. I would like a longer handle, and maybe a little more grip. It's not super slick, but I do notice the razor seems to slide in my hands slightly. By the end of the shave I was gripping far closer to the head of the razor than I like, but still getting excellent results. Perhaps the King Cobra is the answer to that. Who knows. Those are very minor complaints in the end tough. This is truly a great razor. I look forward to the next few shaves.

Shave #2:

Cobra Classic / Feather Blade (2) / RR Tight Buns / VDH Badger / Clubman Pinaud

I made a big mistake today. I treated this thing like my other razors and did a quick, one pass shave to get back to smooth. The hairs on my face are gone and the result is, again, near BBS. Unfortunately, I've got two nicks on my chin and a fair bit of irritation. I did not give this razor the proper respect and I paid a bit. The Clubman helped to cut down the irritation, but my face is still tingling in an odd way. I'll do one more shave with the Feather blade and then throw the Kai in and see how it compares. I'm looking forward to seeing if it's truly milder. That may be the key to making this a perfect razor.

Sorry for the delay. Two shaves and now an update.

Sunday, shave 3:

Cobra Classic / Feather Blade (3) / RR Fine American / VDH Badger / Fine Platinum AS

After the previous day's shave and the irritation it brought, I was much more careful and respectful of the razor. The shave was much better but still produced some irritation in places that I don't normally get irritation. Thank god for aftershave. I stuck with a one pass shave, as I will for the remainder of this trial. Regardless of the irritation, the shave is incredibly close for only one pass, bordering on BBS with minimal effort. It's a shame that the blade doesn't seem to agree with my face. After this shave, I tossed the Feather.

Monday:

No shave. My face didn't feel right. It was still somewhat irritated.

Shave 4:

Cobra Classic / Kai Mild / RR Mudder Focker / VDH Badger / HTGAM Tombstone AS

Today I tried the Kai blade. I'm a fan of a milder setup, currently enjoying a wonderful Schick Krona before the Cobra Classic showed up. The blade didn't feel as sharp as the Feather, though the results were still the same. A one pass shave gave near BBS quality results. The area around my upper lip still doesn't like this razor all that much, as it feels especially grabby on those hairs. Slight irritation on the upper lip and around the adams apple, though far less than I received from the Feather blade. Two more shaves and I'll be sending this thing on its way to the next lucky user. I'm hoping this blade smooths out a bit.

Thanks for the reviews, Corey. I've enjoyed reading them.

Thank you. It's been extremely nice experience using a razor I've had my eye on for quite some time.

Final shave:

Cobra Classic / Kai Mild / C.O. Bigelow Shave Cream / VDH Badger / Clubman Pinaud AS

In many ways, this was the best shave I've had with the Cobra. I had the least amount of irritation and got the closest results. It was also the shave that let me know that this razor just isn't for me. I love how close it gets and I love the look of the razor quite a bit. I just don't love shaving with it. Halfway through today's shave, I was lost in thought trying to decide which DE razor and blade combo I would be using right now if I didn't have the Cobra Classic. I was more interested in other razors. For the price point, I wouldn't be happy with the shaves. They may get better over time and I'd figure out some of the tricks and foibles of the razor, but I just wouldn't enjoy shaving while trying to make it work for me. Again, there's nothing that's going to be much closer that isn't a straight razor. There are few things that will look as well made and unique. Unfortunately, for me at least, I can think of at least half a dozen DE razors that I would much rather use that give me shaves that are more enjoyable. It's possible that I just happened to have gotten a bum blade, but I kind of think not. It pulled a bit during the shave and was still very unpleasant on my upper lip.

Despite this realization, I've enjoyed trying out this razor and am very thankful for the opportunity created by Poonjaji to try out this razor. I'm not sure that I would have been able to otherwise. I will be cleaning up the Cobra Classic and sending it on its way to the next person. Perhaps they'll have better luck.

My time is officially over. The Cobra Classic is on its way to dweebs0r. It was a very informative week with the Cobra Classic that helped me make a very big purchasing decision. I have been wanting to buy a high dollar razor and had narrowed it down to the Cobra Classic and an ATT razor. This week swung me towards the ATT, and as luck would have it, a beautiful one happened to show up in B/S/T set up how I would have bought it. I took that as a sign and parted ways with some dollars. :001_smile

I hope dweebs0r and those who follow have better luck. It's a beautiful razor that really has no equal in design. It's just not for me.

Hello gents,

I received the Cobra today and couldn't wait to get it home and try it out.

First impressions:

The shipping box was sent to me filled with goodies. Lots of shaving soaps samples and a sample of a German AS.
The actual razor was sent in the original packaging and I had the choice of the Kai mild blades or the Feather pro blades.
Since I have used the Feather AC straights and Kamisoris in the past, I went with the pro blade.
I had about 5 days of growth since I have been off work and was growing out my whiskers a bit.
First pass, everything completely clean and a DFS without any other passes. No blood or irritation. I love it.
Second pass, I got a little overzealous since the first pass was so easy and ended up with a little nick on my adams apple.
Not a bad one but still a lil bleeder.

Overall impressions, I really love this razor. It fits in my razor stand. The heft is quite nice in the hand.
The feather pro and mild blades have to be the best blades in the world.

I appreciate the opportunity to be a part of this pass around! Very generous of you, as usual Poonjaji!

2nd shave (I am an every other day shaver with sensitive skin):

Used the same professional blade and same lather technique. I went for three passes this time. First pass, no blood or irritation.
Just a few rough spots. Still very much a DFS! Second pass, no blood. Some irritation on the neck. Again, I have sensitive skin and I am using the professional blade. Third pass, no increase in irritation. Easily one of my best shaves.

Overall impressions thus far, I love the razor. Much easier to get the proper angles and pressures than using a Feather AC (Kamisori and folding). I love it. Is it worth $400 + or -??? That I dont know. 5 times the cost of a Feather AC seems like a stretch.
The razor feels so much more comfortable in hand but does it justify the cost?

It is sort of like driving a nice 1972 Camaro vs a new Stingray... The 72 Camaro does what you want it to do. Not as great in corners or acceleration as the 'vette but still very nice. I think this is the same thing. It's a fine razor and if you have the means to buy one, you should.

Is it worth $400 + or -??? That I dont know. 5 times the cost of a Feather AC seems like a stretch.

The razor feels so much more comfortable in hand but does it justify the cost?

Maybe that was a typo, but the Cobra is not $400, but $200 new and less when used. As a failed Feather AC shaver it was a justifiable cost for me, but YMMV. [emoji6]

List updated.

United States Tour:
dweebs0r (shaving)
AZBronco
billobob
DaltonGang
AndroiDad75

International Tour (uncertain if it will occur, but a Canadian tour is looking promising):
targa88 (Canada)
rider4life (Canada)
Metro (Canada)

Please see the first post for details about the tour, and contact me if interested in participating.

Last edited:
Maybe that was a typo, but the Cobra is not $400, but $200 new and less when used.

I would gladly pay $200 for this razor. The Cobras I have seen have been sold way high due to supply/demand.

I really, really like the feather pro blades and this razor makes the use of them feel so much more natural.

I am currently using the Cobra from anoter tour....so heres a pic! $Cobra3.jpg

Top Bottom