What's new

Club CELLA

Interesting experience with my tub of Cella today. Normally I like the dry method to load my Stirling and now my Cella. I find that I just can control it better when I face lather. Takes a while, but predictable. Today I tried Marco's method with my little red tub. Works. Pretty messy! I face lathered after loading, and found I did not need to add any more water and it lathered fine. My dry method works well also. I will probably stick with that because I can control it a bit better. I just keep dipping the brush tips in water and working it until I get the slickness and thickness. Really nice stuff.
That's how I find all soaps and creams, you just improvise with water and product and you will eventually get your results you want, except for yeti snot, that one takes a lot more work!

It definitely takes some experimentation to even figure out what is good. I did some hand lathers with my Stirling when I first got it so I could understand what the good stuff feels like when you get there. Now that I know that, I can work it on my face until it seems right. Sure makes a difference when it is right. Smooth shaving during the shave, and very supple skin after. I have completely switched away from creams and bowl lathers to soaps and face lathers.

My brick arrived today, I'm all set, may vary a little on weekends, but Cella is my daily driver at least M-F, retired my arko to my bro in law, arko is a very close 2nd to Cella IMHO, another classic that performs superior and won't break the bank!
How are you storing the rest of the kilo brick that doesn't get put into a smaller container?

How are you storing the rest of the kilo brick that doesn't get put into a smaller container?
I just bought a plastic food container today at the dollar store for it, Marco says plastic bag, but this will work as it is wrapped in cellophane and in the box

It definitely takes some experimentation to even figure out what is good. I did some hand lathers with my Stirling when I first got it so I could understand what the good stuff feels like when you get there. Now that I know that, I can work it on my face until it seems right. Sure makes a difference when it is right. Smooth shaving during the shave, and very supple skin after. I have completely switched away from creams and bowl lathers to soaps and face lathers.
You have for sure learned the right way to lather, I face lather as well, just takes a little messing with it, but can be done!

I just bought a plastic food container today at the dollar store for it, Marco says plastic bag, but this will work as it is wrapped in cellophane and in the box

Cool, knowing my OCD on some things (shaving being one of them)' I'll be ordering the brick as well as the tub when the restocking window comes around.

Evening Badger & Blade , Evening Club Cella!!!

Ive come to a big realization on one big reason that Marco's method works so good. Let me say this before I tell you my reason, if you follow Marco's method verbatim and do not slack on any steps, IT WORKS! Ill admit that a few times I didnt use as much product that Marco suggests in his thread http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...nique-with-Italian-soft-soaps?highlight=marco on lathering Italian soft soaps. Id say that I was doing 60 swirls tops. Well the last few shaves I have tried not to be cheap and do it right. Listen, if we can use $200 badger brushes for our shaves then we can use $.75 in product during a shave. Please see step 5 from Marco's method:

5. Heavily load your brush for about 45/60 seconds making around 100/120 swirls. Please keep in mind that the loading time and number of swirls also depend on how big your brush is and how much water it can retain.

'Here's' to many more great shaves Gents!

Evening Badger & Blade , Evening Club Cella!!!

Ive come to a big realization on one big reason that Marco's method works so good. Let me say this before I tell you my reason, if you follow Marco's method verbatim and do not slack on any steps, IT WORKS! Ill admit that a few times I didnt use as much product that Marco suggests in his thread http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...nique-with-Italian-soft-soaps?highlight=marco on lathering Italian soft soaps. Id say that I was doing 60 swirls tops. Well the last few shaves I have tried not to be cheap and do it right. Listen, if we can use $200 badger brushes for our shaves then we can use $.75 in product during a shave. Please see step 5 from Marco's method:

5. Heavily load your brush for about 45/60 seconds making around 100/120 swirls. Please keep in mind that the loading time and number of swirls also depend on how big your brush is and how much water it can retain.

'Here's' to many more great shaves Gents!
ok, have to admit it, first time I tried this method today and I have to admit, I have never produced that much perfect lather ever! I'm a Marco convert for sure!

Evening Club CELLA!!! Im happy to say that my shaves have been getting better and my lathering technique is 'peaking' <---(a little shaving humor) I found a great lathering video that anybody who is having a difficult time should watch. I found another thing interesting. Notice how he says "Shaving cream made from almond oil". I havent heard somebody say it like him, I thought it was interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evening Club CELLA!!! Im happy to say that my shaves have been getting better and my lathering technique is 'peaking' <---(a little shaving humor) I found a great lathering video that anybody who is having a difficult time should watch. I found another thing interesting. Notice how he says "Shaving cream made from almond oil". I havent heard somebody say it like him, I thought it was interesting.

That was a really good video. Thanks for sharing with us.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used Cella for the first time yesterday. I think I need to load the brush longer. I was not that impressed with the results. I'm sure I will get it. I will post pictures if I am successful. We all love pictures.

I am a long time fan too. An hour ago had a glorious shave using a fatip piccolo and cella soap. The soap has the perfect balance of easy latherability, thick, slick and cushioning lather with just a few swirls of the wet boar brush. the fatip gave me a two pass bbs which really lasts. the cushion and slickness minimize razor burn form aggressive razors / sharp blade combinations. its also one of the top soap scents. I am a fan and will always have it in my top rotation with the fatip !!

That was a really good video. Thanks for sharing with us.

However, what he ends up with is lather that doesn't have enough water in it. More water = slickness.

This is a problem I think many inexperienced gents fall into when they use the "add-water-gradually-until-done" method: they arrive at lather like that shown in the video--"stiff peaks" lather--and think it's done. It's not. More water should be added and incorporated until you get past the "stiff peaks" stage and arrive at the "soft peaks" stage. Now you should have lather that has all the slickness the soap itself has to offer.

I've seen posts in the last few days claiming that neither Tabac nor Cella is slick. Nonsense. Give them enough water and they are as slick as it gets.

This is why the Marco Method&#8482; works so well--you start with an ungodly amount of water, and swirl until you get slick lather. Just coming at it from the other direction, one where you really can't not use enough water.

Last edited:
Hello club cella. Yesterday was my first shave with cella. I used the Marco method and face lathered and I got tons of lather. The shave was great with it. Now to the smell. From everything I've read I was expecting cherry coke. That's exactly what I smelled. I definitely didn't smell any almond. Interestingly though, I let my daughter smell it and it reminded her of something that I don't think I have heard anyone else say. She said it smells like soap from a car wash. You know, I have to agree with her.

However, what he ends up with is lather that doesn't have enough water in it. More water = slickness.

This is a problem I think many inexperienced gents fall into when they use the "add-water-gradually-until-done" method: they arrive at lather like that shown in the video--"stiff peaks" lather--and think it's done. It's not. More water should be added and incorporated until you get past the "stiff peaks" stage and arrive at the "soft peaks" stage. Now you should have lather that has all the slickness the soap itself has to offer.

I've seen posts in the last few days claiming that neither Tabac nor Cella is slick. Nonsense. Give them enough water and they are as slick as it gets.

This is why the Marco Method&#8482; works so well--you start with an ungodly amount of water, and swirl until you get slick lather. Just coming at it from the other direction, one where you really can't not use enough water.

I am going to try the Marco Method today. I never tried it before because I thought it started with too much water. I think I need more water and more product. I shouldn't have to worry about wasting product since I probably have more now than I could ever use.

I am going to try the Marco Method today. I never tried it before because I thought it started with too much water. I think I need more water and more product. I shouldn't have to worry about wasting product since I probably have more now than I could ever use.

Yes! Use it up and you'll have to buy more! :lol:

Just bear in mind: it's going to take a while. I'm a Modified Marco&#8482; guy myself.

Yes! Use it up and you'll have to buy more! :lol:

Just bear in mind: it's going to take a while. I'm a Modified Marco&#8482; guy myself.

Thanks Mark for the tips. I am truly new to wet shaving, my join date is virtually my start date. :laugh: I am learning more with every shave, and its thanks to gents like yourself that take a suggestive approach. I for one appreciate the opportunity to learn from somebody that 1: is respectful and 2: knows what they are talking about. So, from me to you Mark, thanks, and Im happy that you are a part of this Club. Keep coaching us novices along... I NEED IT!!! :lol:

Personally, I did kind of think that Marco would be doing a little less of the shaking of the water from the brush. Water is a big part of Marco's method, but so is product, dont forget that gents.

Shave on!

When I tried Cella I started with a damp brush and loaded the product for about 30 seconds. For most soaps this if fine. I'm thinking maybe Cella needs more water and more product. I'll try it again tonight.

Top Bottom