What's new

Carrying pistol with/without round chambered

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
@redfalconf35 , again I apologize if I seemed too critical of your viewpoint. My only objective was to be informative. I'm not an expert, but I've trained with quite a few, guys (and gals) who've "been there and done that". They are mostly of the alpha male mold and are quick to point out where you are wrong as a student and they generally don't sugar coat it when they do. I don't frequent too many gun forums because there are too many people who have no idea what they are talking about and then they get into flame wars when there is a disagreement. I think you will find that although there are many levels of experience on this sub-forum, and quite a few members with significant "real world" experience, we still by and large conduct ourselves as gentleman, as does the rest of B&B. There will always be room for those who "agree to disagree" in their well thought out opinions.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Nothing yet from the Feds. It will all work out.

About the real gun.
I know. I know.
Maybe one day.
But I sure do like having Elsie in my pocket everywhere I go!!
And I have never been made.

You have never typed or said something and then went back in hindsight, and thought to yourself; "I could have / should have done that better by adding a few words, or leaving a few out? @redfalconf35? Ever?

Of course, and I'm not getting ready to stomp out or anything. I just think that statements equivalent to "carry chambered or don't carry" should be backed up by much more than a dollop of machismo. Mainly because it's the persuasive thing to do, but also because there are some (like myself) who are genuinely open to new information.

This is a textbook case of asking for something bad to happen. Please do something to correct the problem.

Yup, I'm in the market for a good belt. If that doesn't work, I'll have to shop for a new holster.

Last edited:
@redfalconf35 , again I apologize if I seemed too critical of your viewpoint. My only objective was to be informative. I'm not an expert, but I've trained with quite a few, guys (and gals) who've "been there and done that". They are mostly of the alpha male mold and are quick to point out where you are wrong as a student and they generally don't sugar coat it when they do. I don't frequent too many gun forums because there are too many people who have no idea what they are talking about and then they get into flame wars when there is a disagreement. I think you will find that although there are many levels of experience on this sub-forum, and quite a few members with significant "real world" experience, we still by and large conduct ourselves as gentleman, as does the rest of B&B. There will always be room for those who "agree to disagree" in their well thought out opinions.

I appreciate it, nortac! I'm not upset. Really, I'm just trying to gather info. I'm not against carrying chambered, and am trying to figure out whether there are things that I haven't yet considered in making my decision.

Of course, and I'm not getting ready to stomp out or anything. I just think that statements equivalent to "carry chambered or don't carry" should be backed up by much more than a dollop of machismo. Mainly because it's the persuasive thing to do, but also because there are some (like myself) who are genuinely open to new information.

Yup, I'm in the market for a good belt. If that doesn't work, I'll have to shop for a new holster.

Just coincidentally, this showed up online today. I’d surely look into a new belt/holster sooner than later. You really don’t want to be this guy.

IKEA shooting: A child fired a loaded gun he found in a couch - CNN

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Of course, and I'm not getting ready to stomp out or anything.

Good deal, because we like you being here! :)

I just think that statements equivalent to "carry chambered or don't carry" should be backed up by much more than a dollop of machismo. Mainly because it's the persuasive thing to do,

And you would be right.

but also because there are some (like myself) who are genuinely open to new information.

You being open to new information, is all anyone could or should ask for. nothing more. I'm gonna go research some more info on why it's better to carry chambered... I will be back. ;)

OkieStubble

Well said John.

I have always carried with a round chambered and in more than 32 years as an LEO I have never carried with a safety engaged. As a private citizen I carry the same way. I have always trained and taught this way of carry!
BUT that’s just me and we all are wired differently!

Honestly, to me this statement does not give enough info. I am by no means an expert on all the arms out there, nor want to be. My personal carry piece is a Sig P938, basically a Colt 1911 type, but no grip safety. I carry cocked, one in the chamber, and safety on. To carry it without the safety engaged would be akin to carrying a S&W , say a little CHief's special, cocked in single action mode, no thanks. I have an older Colt Pocket 9, a little semi auto, double action only 9mm that has no safety, each shot is in double action mode and that long trigger pull is around 7 1/2 lbs

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Honestly, to me this statement does not give enough info. I am by no means an expert on all the arms out there, nor want to be. My personal carry piece is a Sig P938, basically a Colt 1911 type, but no grip safety. I carry cocked, one in the chamber, and safety on. To carry it without the safety engaged would be akin to carrying a S&W , say a little CHief's special, cocked in single action mode, no thanks. I have an older Colt Pocket 9, a little semi auto, double action only 9mm that has no safety, each shot is in double action mode and that long trigger pull is around 7 1/2 lbs

I do believe you misinterpreted Marty's reply...he knows better.

He carries an H&K and an LCP...trigger safeties or double action on the first shot. No one with Marty's experience would recommend carrying a revolver cocked or a 1911 with the thumb safety off.

No offense...just saying.

Oh, Rob...good training of people has wormed its way into you DNA, hasn't it? ;)

Good videos, Rob. A good reason to carry a wheel gun. :001_tongu

Boils down to the people who engineered the weapon. John Browning was a genius. His designs...The P35 Hi-Power has no grip safety. It is a legendary pistol which has proven itself over decades of service. It was made to carry cocked, safety on. The 1911 heritage needs no other discussion. Original design had no grip safety. It was later added so US Cavalry soldiers would not shoot themselves while on horseback.
Modern striker autos are designed to be carried with a chambered round. Modern DA/SA pistols...same thing. The widely used Sig Sauer P220, P225, P226, P228, P229 had decocker levers. The iconic Beretta 92 series has a “safety” per se but its primary purpose was again, to decock the pistol.
I am not a firearms engineer. I do not have that expertise. I trust guys like Gaston Glock. Hence I shall carry a specific pistol in the fashion is was designed to be carried.
I also think anyone who carries a pistol should do so in a way they are most comfortable with. Makes no difference to me either way.
By the way...today’s carry piece was a S&W 442. No safety, no decocker, no external
hammer...just a DA trigger. Makes perfect sense.

OkieStubble

He carries an H&K and an LCP...trigger safeties or double action on the first shot. No one with Marty's experience would recommend carrying a revolver cocked or a 1911 with the thumb safety off.

+1 Agreed.

Oh, Rob...good training of people has wormed its way into you DNA, hasn't it? ;)

You're calling me "a know it all" right now, ain't ya? :)

Once Glock gets into the wheel gun business, I might consider it. ;)

OkieStubble

Boils down to the people who engineered the weapon. John Browning was a genius. His designs...The P35 Hi-Power has no grip safety. It is a legendary pistol which has proven itself over decades of service. It was made to carry cocked, safety on. The 1911 heritage needs no other discussion. Original design had no grip safety. It was later added so US Cavalry soldiers would not shoot themselves while on horseback.
Modern striker autos are designed to be carried with a chambered round. Modern DA/SA pistols...same thing. The widely used Sig Sauer P220, P225, P226, P228, P229 had decocker levers. The iconic Beretta 92 series has a “safety” per se but its primary purpose was again, to decock the pistol.
I am not a firearms engineer. I do not have that expertise. I trust guys like Gaston Glock. Hence I shall carry a specific pistol in the fashion is was designed to be carried.
I also think anyone who carries a pistol should do so in a way they are most comfortable with. Makes no difference to me either way.
By the way...today’s carry piece was a S&W 442. No safety, no decocker, no external
hammer...just a DA trigger. Makes perfect sense.

It really does.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Once Glock gets into the wheel gun business, I might consider it. ;)

If they do that I'm going to jump off of a high cliff into some biiiiig rocks.

At least Kimber got it right.

There is a reason Colt and Smith & Wesson were the only ones allowed as duty weapons at one time. :)

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I have very little experience with 1911’s. I have field stripped them and fired them but decided early on they were not the weapon for me. They just did not “seat” well with me.
I am a draw and fire type guy. No thinking. No fuss. No muss. Practice. Clean. Practice.
So a 1911 (for me) round chambered, hammer cocked, safety off is bad juju!!
Safety on? (For me?). Bad juju!!

KISS.

Has worked well for me for many years. Not as much room for Mr. Murphy to stick his nose in!

Now this is just for me and how I was trained and how I teach and how I have taught.

Each of us must decide what is best for us and our needs!

Y’all be safe!

marty

No offense taken nor meant to be given.

If I am to carry with no safety, it will simply be a double action revolver. I prefer to shoot single action as being more of a rifleman, and not shooting handguns that much, I a much better shooting single action vs double action. I did try a Para Ordnance PDA, one of the light double actions but it's simply too large for me to carry concealed, at least in hot weather. The firing mechanism is rather complicated as the hammer is always down, no spur for cocking at all, but somehow the mainspring is partially preloaded so trigger pull effort is much less than most DAO pistols. Since I prefer pocket carry I need something small like a S&W j frame, or my preferred Sig P238 or P938, which carry in condition 1. I will freely admit when I first started doing that I was rather nervous and it did take some getting used to. I did select a holster that completely covers the trigger and that molded around the safety so there is minimal, I am not going to say no chance, of touching the trigger or knocking the safety off. As I have been doing this for a couple of years now, I am rather comfortable with it, having taught to sweep the safety off as the gun comes out of the holster, and is still pointed down. By the time I have it up it's ready to fire. I have practiced the movement inside using a laser cartridge/pointer. I actually find it smoother and more accurate than drawing and cocking a revolver.

I think the thing is that you should try a few different types, determine what you think is best for you, and then practice some. I don't practice or shoot nearly enough, the closest range is a bit over 50 miles for me so it's generally once every two or three months, and usually not handgun shooting. The closest thing to combat training with a handgun was qualification with the M92 in the USAF, and for most officers that was only once a year. My last time was a little over 20 years ago. It was strange when I was first commissioned back in the late 60's we qualified with the S&W combat masterpiece while I was in ocs, then in the 10 years I was active never again. When I went back in reserves in 90 it was yearly.

Bottom line is that I am more of a bullseye type target shooter as compared to a combat or action shooter.

Top Bottom