What's new

Carrying pistol with/without round chambered

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I have one simple question for those that carry without a round chambered:

How many times has the hammer/striker fallen on the empty chamber?

Most all of the newer ones have a firing pin/striker block or transfer bar on revolvers that prevent anything hitting the primer unless the trigger is fully pulled to the rear.

Glock safety plunger:

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-p...mate-safety-plunger-for-glock--prod66666.aspx

Colt series 80 1911 firing pin safety:

Colt Series 80 Firing Pin Block

Revolver transfer bar safety:

proxy.php

I have a first year production Colt Python, and there is no safety block, as well as an older S&W Chief's Special. I keep the chamber empty under the hammer on both, to eliminate the possibility of an accidental discharge if dropped or whatever. I do loose a round capacity, but not worth the risk. My small 22 mag revolver allows you to set the cylinder between rounds, so the firing pin is not lined up over the round, but when you **** it, it cycles over a round. (single action).

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
An old story of situational awareness. When I was a kid I had a morning paper route and was up at O'dark 30 every morning. Where I picked up my papers was at a gas station at the intersection of a main drag leading out to the interstate. One day I was approached by some drifter ne'er-do-wells who propositioned me in a most undesirable fashion . Luckily I was near the residence of one of my customers who was always up early. I knocked on the door and had them call the police. The police arrived, had me identify the scumbags as they headed out to the interstate and ran them out of town as they had no priors or what ever. From that day on, I carried a machete in my paper bag. The casual observer would never have noticed it, only the handle sticking out beyond the newspapers in my bag. Where I picked up my papers at the gas station, there was a phone booth two blocks away. I could always tell if there was anyone in or around the phone booth from two blocks distance. As I made my way through the neighborhoods on my paper route, I could frequently spot if anything was out of place in the yards of my customers, kids toys left outside, garbage cans out of place, etc. I was always looking at both sides of the street and what was up ahead. This was long before I had any clue of the term "situational awareness" or any defensive training.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I have a first year production Colt Python, and there is no safety block, as well as an older S&W Chief's Special. I keep the chamber empty under the hammer on both, to eliminate the possibility of an accidental discharge if dropped or whatever. I do loose a round capacity, but not worth the risk. My small 22 mag revolver allows you to set the cylinder between rounds, so the firing pin is not lined up over the round, but when you **** it, it cycles over a round. (single action).

:mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
This thread is becoming downright convicting. I'm gonna have to shop for a holster that I'm comfortable carrying chambered with.

Shopping for stuff that fits our guns is half the fun! :)

@redfalconf35 What model pistol do you have and what type of holster have you tried? Perhaps we can make some suggestions. What ever you get, make sure that the slots, loops or clips on your holster fit the belt without any play so that it won't rotate when the belt is not tightened. Also, buy a "gun belt" that is vertically stiffened that won't bend or sag from the weight of the gun and holster.

Was curious about this myself...

F8D45C23-E4EA-42FD-8118-A04D3E6FB543.jpeg
203998A9-CDC0-4E2A-BCC0-2C504F4B2D0C.jpeg
9724AB2A-9BA8-4DCE-B6DB-289F39B7360D.jpeg
5CBB9F41-6505-4171-8BE9-E997DA6D0B3A.jpeg
14D71D68-76B8-43A6-944B-57B8E12E8BE1.jpeg
Holsters...top to bottom
Andrews Leather (#1-3)
Ritchie Bros. Leather
R. Grizzle (very long wait)
@redfalconf35
First hand experience with all of these. Andrews is surely #1.
The other makers are also very good.
I am not a fan of Kydex. Many others are.
For a belt, Zach’s Gun Belts and (again) Andrews Leather are top of the heap.
Shop wisely...don’t cut corners. You will regret it later on if you do.

I've been carrying a concealed weapon for many years. I have a dedicated pistol I keep in my motorcycle jacket, and a small revolver I carry in my jeans otherwise. I think the LORD that I've never had to draw it, and pray I never have to, but would not hesitate if needed. When I was yo I do make sure the pistol I keep available at my bedside is moved to a safe place when grandkids are over.
I have one simple question for those that carry without a round chambered:

How many times has the hammer/striker fallen on the empty chamber?

Most all of the newer ones have a firing pin/striker block or transfer bar on revolvers that prevent anything hitting the primer unless the trigger is fully pulled to the rear.

Glock safety plunger:

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-p...mate-safety-plunger-for-glock--prod66666.aspx

Colt series 80 1911 firing pin safety:

Colt Series 80 Firing Pin Block

Revolver transfer bar safety:

proxy.php

Every gun save one is more modern with either a safety, transfer bar or hammer block. The one without a hammer block is a S&W 32-20 Hand Ejector, cicra 1922 that I just got. On close examination it seems to be very safe, and lacking the bar that retracts down and out of the way as the hammer moves back, cannot move forward so the firing pin is visible unless the trigger is pulled.

I do make sure the pistol I keep available at my bedside is moved to a safe place when grandkids are over.

Same here, as well as the shotgun standing by my dresser in bedroom and the ar15 behind the closet door. The last thing I need is a curious 6 year old getting to one, so the day before he arrives I have a safety check around the house.

@redfalconf35 What model pistol do you have and what type of holster have you tried? Perhaps we can make some suggestions. What ever you get, make sure that the slots, loops or clips on your holster fit the belt without any play so that it won't rotate when the belt is not tightened. Also, buy a "gun belt" that is vertically stiffened that won't bend or sag from the weight of the gun and holster.

Hey nortac, thanks for the followup! I carry a M&P 9 shield in a Craft Holsters tuckable. Upon some reflection, the issue is certainly with the holster. The belt is properly sized for the belt loop of the holster, and the rotation isn't happening at the belt loop. I'll see if I can snap a couple pics to upload.Essentially the belt loop is connected to the bottom of the holster in a "Z" configuration, and both "hinges" of the Z are flexible enough that the weight of the gun causes it to rotate when it's not pushed up against my waist.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Every gun save one is more modern with either a safety, transfer bar or hammer block. The one without a hammer block is a S&W 32-20 Hand Ejector, cicra 1922 that I just got. On close examination it seems to be very safe, and lacking the bar that retracts down and out of the way as the hammer moves back, cannot move forward so the firing pin is visible unless the trigger is pulled.

Well put.

Modern DA revolver safety mechanisms:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Hey nortac, thanks for the followup! I carry a M&P 9 shield in a Craft Holsters tuckable. Upon some reflection, the issue is certainly with the holster. The belt is properly sized for the belt loop of the holster, and the rotation isn't happening at the belt loop. I'll see if I can snap a couple pics to upload.Essentially the belt loop is connected to the bottom of the holster in a "Z" configuration, and both "hinges" of the Z are flexible enough that the weight of the gun causes it to rotate when it's not pushed up against my waist.

Alex, most IWB holsters will show some degree of instability when not cinched up against your waist. Particularly if they only have one loop to stabilize the holster on the belt. The MP is a reliable gun and would be extremely unlikely to go off just by hitting the floor should it fall out. The biggest issue would be embarrassment, particularly if in a public restroom! Does your MP have a manual safety? They are made with and without the manual safety. Both are perfectly safe as far as any gun can be, just user preference.
If the holster is easily removed from the belt, a possible solution would be to remove the holstered gun from the belt while taking care of business in the BR. I place the holstered gun in the crotch of my pants that are bunched up around my ankles while sitting on the throne!
The bottom line is, the gun won't go off if the trigger is not engaged by a finger or other object and if it's still in the holster it is essentially inert. If removed from the holster, extra care must be taken to insure that the trigger does not come in contact with anything that could actuate it.

The MP is a reliable gun and would be extremely unlikely to go off just by hitting the floor should it fall out. The biggest issue would be embarrassment, particularly if in a public restroom!

That's actually the least of my concerns. The gun is in the holster snugly enough that I've never felt it would slip out. The biggest concern is the barrel raking the room. To be clear, I'm happy with the holster in all other aspects, but its behavior when not tucked snugly against my waist has made me a bit nervous. All it takes is one moment of inattention from me and somebody (including possibly me) is at the angry end of a loaded pistol. Sure, a lot would still have to go wrong for the danger to come to fruition, but I'd rather be safe than sorry on this one.

Does your MP have a manual safety? They are made with and without the manual safety. Both are perfectly safe as far as any gun can be, just user preference.

It does, but I'm left handed so I don't use it. Ironically (given my original stance in this thread), putting the safety on is a bridge too far for me. :001_tongu

OkieStubble

Alex, most IWB holsters will show some degree of instability when not cinched up against your waist. Particularly if they only have one loop to stabilize the holster on the belt. The MP is a reliable gun and would be extremely unlikely to go off just by hitting the floor should it fall out. The biggest issue would be embarrassment, particularly if in a public restroom! Does your MP have a manual safety? They are made with and without the manual safety. Both are perfectly safe as far as any gun can be, just user preference.
If the holster is easily removed from the belt, a possible solution would be to remove the holstered gun from the belt while taking care of business in the BR. I place the holstered gun in the crotch of my pants that are bunched up around my ankles while sitting on the throne!
The bottom line is, the gun won't go off if the trigger is not engaged by a finger or other object and if it's still in the holster it is essentially inert. If removed from the holster, extra care must be taken to insure that the trigger does not come in contact with anything that could actuate it.

Has @redfalconf35 stated yet, if he in fact, wears this holster "inside" his waistband, or "outside" on his hip? I could be mistaken, but the way he describes his problem, of the gun "raking the room"?

Sounded to me like he is attempting at wearing an inside the waistband holster... Outside his pants on his belt?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
When handling a gun, the trigger finger should be off the trigger unless the sights are on the target. The trigger finger should be kept in the "register" position alongside the frame above the trigger guard. The trigger finger should be extended as if you were pointing at something. The top edge of your trigger finger should be in contact with the bottom edge of the slide of a semi-auto or the bottom edge of the cylinder for a revolver.
When beginning to draw your pistol from the holster, a firing grip should be establish on the grip of the pistol before the pistol begins to move out of the holster. Your index/trigger finger is extended straight along the outside of the holster or the outside of the pants for an IWB. AS the gun is withdrawn from the holster, the extended trigger finger should fall into place automatically as described above. As the gun is brought up to the line of fire, the trigger finger stays in place along the frame until the last moment just before the sights are aligned with the target.
A common drill to teach trigger finger discipline is to start with the gun pointing down at about a 45 degree angle (ready position), finger along the frame in register position. At the command (can be your own internal dialogue if practicing alone), raise the gun to align the sights on target, moving your finger to the trigger as the sights are aligned and fire one round. IMMEDIATELY remove your finger from the trigger and place it in register position on the frame and then lower the gun back to the ready position. Repeat this for several rounds. Don't focus too much on accuracy at first and do this at close range, say 5-7 yds. Preferably using a large silhouette target. This is a good drill to do as a warm up at the beginning of a shooting session. When it comes time to re-holster your weapon, make sure that your trigger finger is in register position and it travels along the outside of your holster or pants as you seat the weapon in the holster. Obviously you have to raise the finger up off the frame a bit as you insert the gun in the holster, but keep it extended.

Has @redfalconf35 stated yet, if he in fact, wears this holster "inside" his waistband, or "outside" on his hip?

I do wear it inside the waistband. I bought the tuckable model because my typical daily attire is a buttondown and slacks. I usually don't wear a jacket. My employer would not take kindly to me open carrying, to say the least.

OkieStubble

I do wear it inside the waistband. I bought the tuckable model because my typical daily attire is a buttondown and slacks. I usually don't wear a jacket. My employer would not take kindly to me open carrying, to say the least.

Well I feel stoopid... :)

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Very good illustrations.

Just about any DA revolver made after WWII is safe with a round under the hammer, and just about any Colt DA from the early 20th century on. The only revolvers that need to be carried with an empty chamber under the hammer are the single actions without the transfer bar...like my old three screw Ruger Blackhawk, my Colt SAA .45, and my Colt New Frontier .22.

Your Chief's Special wasn't introduced until 1950, and the Python didn't start production until 1955. Both of yours are completely safe concerning dropping...just don't pull the trigger. :)

I carried my no dash L frame for years as a duty weapon and it was dropped a few times, and I dropped my 1973 vintage Colt Cobra .38 once...no worries. Cops carried them for decades.

I've had my L frame detail stripped so many times I could throw the bare frame and parts in a box, shake it, and it would all go back together on its own. :biggrin1:

I wouldn't recommend taking your Python apart...those are hand fitted and need to go back together in a certain order. Your Chief's Special is pretty simple though.

Top Bottom