What's new

Carrying pistol with/without round chambered

Ad Astra

The Instigator
It occurs to me, my wife probably can't even rack my latest toy, since I upped it to a 19-pound recoil spring ...

She can pull the trigger, though. Generally pretty well.

AA

So what if you don't have a free hand to rack the slide with because you're already in a physical struggle when you decide you need to shoot to save your life? Also, the probability of bungling racking the slide under stress and causing a misfeed or failure to chamber a round is far greater than a "mechanical misfire", what ever that is. The gun won't go off unless you have your finger on the trigger (unless there is a serious defect in the gun). This is a training issue. Learn to keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on target. You have enough to deal with if you are presented with a lethal threat. Get your gun out fast, focus on the front sight and press the trigger. If you really need to shoot, you won't have time to rack the slide. If you don't need to shoot, but need to be ready, you don't want to advertise that you are armed by racking the slide, that could be seen as "brandishing", as well as giving up the tactical advantage of surprise.

In my view, I'm 100x more likely to have a 1 in a million situation where the gun falls out of the holster and the trigger is pulled in some freak accident while I'm on the commode than being in a situation where racking the slide is the difference between life and death. Especially since my holster has a tendency to rotate on the belt when the belt is loose. I'm comfortable with the gun, but I'm not training often enough that I'm gonna be able to prevail in a situation where fractions of a second count. I don't have enough range time to outdraw somebody right now.

I'm playing the odds. In my estimation, it's more likely that keeping the chamber empty will save me from a potential negligent discharge than it would threaten me in some sort of duel with a baddie. Either way, I'm just happy that my only concern so far has been remembering to pull the firearm out of the holster and clean off the lint.

Frankly, I find the "if you can't handle carrying with a round chambered, you can't handle carrying at all" line of thinking a bit condescending. There are plenty of situations where carrying with chamber open would still be useful, even if it requires an extra step before being at full anger.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Frankly, I find the "if you can't handle carrying with a round chambered, you can't handle carrying at all" line of thinking a bit condescending. There are plenty of situations where carrying with chamber open would still be useful, even if it requires an extra step before being at full anger.

That is not what I said, my reference was to training and familiarity with your weapon for defensive purposes. You can carry your firearms any way you like in any condition that you like. But serious concealed carry requires a certain level of dedication to the craft and a shift in lifestyle (and certainly mindset) in some cases. Simply having a firearm on your person is not a magic talisman that will keep you safe. So my comments are not meant to be condescending but perhaps a wake up call to the willfully uninformed.

Modern firearms are pretty much drop proof with regards to accidental discharge. All firearms are subject to negligent discharge, no matter what condition they're carried in. So in the case of going to the bathroom and the security of your firearm, perhaps you need a different holster or a stiffer belt that is purpose made for supporting a gun holster.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
The first safety rule is that "All guns are always loaded" which means that a gun is considered to be loaded unless you check the chamber to make sure that it is not loaded. So adopting a habit of maintaining an empty chamber for "safety's sake" has a tendency to lull one into a false sense of safety, and then some become lax in their safety habits "knowing" that their gun is unloaded. This practice is far, far more likely to result in a negligent discharge than any one in a million scenario you can come up with.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Statistically, among those who carry a gun frequently, such as LEOs, the majority of NDs occur while re-holstering their weapon. Either poor trigger finger discipline, or some other object gets into the trigger guard and when the gun is shoved down into the holster, the trigger is inadvertently pulled. One recent incident was when the drawstring and toggle from the waist of a cover garment got caught in the trigger guard and pulled the trigger as the gun was holstered.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Statistically, among those who carry a gun frequently, such as LEOs, the majority of NDs occur while re-holstering their weapon. Either poor trigger finger discipline, or some other object gets into the trigger guard and when the gun is shoved down into the holster, the trigger is inadvertently pulled. One recent incident was when the drawstring and toggle from the waist of a cover garment got caught in the trigger guard and pulled the trigger as the gun was holstered.

Yup. The best safety device for a firearm is between your ears.

More times than not I carry a wheelgun, but on those occasions when I carry a semi auto if I don't have one in the pipe I view it as a paper weight.

I carry my 1911 the same as I would carry any pistol: with one in the chamber. When things go bad, the less you have to do to be ready to defend yourself the better.

In my view, I'm 100x more likely to have a 1 in a million situation where the gun falls out of the holster and the trigger is pulled in some freak accident while I'm on the commode than being in a situation where racking the slide is the difference between life and death. Especially since my holster has a tendency to rotate on the belt when the belt is loose. I'm comfortable with the gun, but I'm not training often enough that I'm gonna be able to prevail in a situation where fractions of a second count. I don't have enough range time to outdraw somebody right now.

I'm playing the odds. In my estimation, it's more likely that keeping the chamber empty will save me from a potential negligent discharge than it would threaten me in some sort of duel with a baddie. Either way, I'm just happy that my only concern so far has been remembering to pull the firearm out of the holster and clean off the lint.

Not having one in the chamber is like leaving the pistol at home. You might as well have. Not being condescending, just being practical. You can do what you want, your decision, maybe your life! I'll always keep one in the chamber, or leave it at home!

Mike

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Not having one in the chamber is like leaving the pistol at home. You might as well have. Not being condescending, just being practical. You can do what you want, your decision, maybe your life! I'll always keep one in the chamber, or leave it at home!Mike

I always carry chambered, many do. I'm sure there are many who don't, and may not be representative in this sub forum or who might fear some type of ridicule or negativity against their saying so.

We all have weighed the pro's and con's of carrying chambered and or un-chambered. We who carry chambered, cannot suppose or impose, that those who don't, have not looked at their reasons not too, any less heavily or with less due diligence than those of us who have decided too.

It is the kind of personal decision, that needs no explanation or justification; for or against.

That is all.

I always carry chambered, many do. I'm sure there are many who don't, and may not be representative in this sub forum or who might fear some type of ridicule or negativity against their saying so.

We all have weighed the pro's and con's of carrying chambered and or un-chambered. We who carry chambered, cannot suppose or impose, that those who don't, have not looked at their reasons not too, any less heavily or with less due diligence than those of us who have decided too.

It is the kind of personal decision, that needs no explanation or justification; for or against.

That is all.
Very well said.

I'm sure there are many who don't, and may not be representative in this sub forum or who might fear some type of ridicule or negativity against their saying so.

It's interesting. I went to another online forum and asked the same question there as neutrally as possible. The results were very different than here. Most of them carried with one in the chamber, but quite a few didn't, and nobody seemed to have too strong of an opinion either way. One guy told a story about a neighbor who fumbled his carry gun, stepped on it awkwardly, and it discharged and killed him instantly.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
It's interesting. I went to another online forum and asked the same question there as neutrally as possible. The results were very different than here. Most of them carried with one in the chamber, but quite a few didn't, and nobody seemed to have too strong of an opinion either way. One guy told a story about a neighbor who fumbled his carry gun, stepped on it awkwardly, and it discharged and killed him instantly.

I have been on a few other gun forums. I can assure you, there are no finer group of gentleman that can be found then right here. I am absolutely certain, nothing was meant personally towards you. I think we all, are and can be capable of voicing an opinion a little too strongly sometimes, when we feel passionately about a subject. I know I have made that mistake many times in the past and certain that the possibility for me to blunder a few sentences will/can be there in the future.

You have never typed or said something and then went back in hindsight, and thought to yourself; "I could have / should have done that better by adding a few words, or leaving a few out? @redfalconf35? Ever?

I apologize if you felt condescended or unwelcome, I assure you, it wasn't a purposeful intention.

Those that have never unintentionally, stuck their foot in their mouth, "cast the first stone." John 8:7 -RRV (Rob's revised version) :)

Last edited:

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I have always carried with a round chambered and in more than 32 years as an LEO I have never carried with a safety engaged. As a private citizen I carry the same way. I have always trained and taught this way of carry!
BUT that’s just me and we all are wired differently!

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I have always carried with a round chambered and in more than 32 years as an LEO I have never carried with a safety engaged. As a private citizen I carry the same way. I have always trained and taught this way of carry!
BUT that’s just me and we all are wired differently!

If you never carried with a safety engaged you must have always carried a revolver or one of them there Blocks instead of a 1911. :001_tongu

If I'd have stayed at the P.D. I'd have had 31 years in now, but only did 12 years before I left. Before that I had 5 years private armed security and after that a couple of years as D.A.s investigator. Last 15 years has been private investigator on criminal cases.

Glad your 'puter didn't get drownded...don't know what we'd do if you didn't drop in here from time to time.

Last edited:
“Especially since my holster has a tendency to rotate on the belt when the belt is loose”.

This is a textbook case of asking for something bad to happen. Please do something to correct the problem.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I guess apples float and my iPhone didn’t drown!!
Carrying and H and K 40 cal and at home it’s my trusty Elsie Pea
Neither has a “safety”.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I guess apples float and my iPhone didn’t drown!!
Carrying and H and K 40 cal and at home it’s my trusty Elsie Pea
Neither has a “safety”.

Yup...combat tupperware.

One of these days you'll get you a real gun. :biggrin1:

I really hope your insurance works out. Have you seen any disaster relief from the Feds. yet? I heard the Governor declared a disaster in that area.

Top Bottom