What's new

Anybody use Shave Secret oil?

I'm a newbie, don't know anything. Need to preface this with that. Also, zero connection to any manufacturer or retailer or anyone or anything in the shaving-products space. I have a light, silky beard (although it's mostly gray now) and sensitive, irritable, easily damaged skin on my face.

So I was at Wal-Mart the other day looking for some Nivea Balm and I happened to see Shave Secret on the shelf for like $4-5. I thought, oh, yeah, a few people talked about oil as a pre-shave. So I bought it.

Tried it the first day as a pre-shave, with lather on top of it. Not experienced enough to notice much, especially because I keep changing too many variables (can't help myself). Then I looked at some reviews and discovered, to my surprise, several in which the reviewer was shaving with JUST the oil. Read the instructions, and that's what the manufacturer suggests. So I thought, okay, that's weird, but I'll try it.

So I think I'm on my fourth day with just the oil and man, do I like it. Yes, it's true, the experience of shaving isn't as much fun DURING THE SHAVE. But it makes my face feel great THE WHOLE REST OF THE DAY! I feel like I couldn't cut myself if I wanted to, I get zero blood or redness or irritation, and my face feels just great all day long. Kinda like exercise or meditation...it's not all that fun to do, but it makes you feel better every OTHER hour of the day.

It's super easy. Get out of the shower, towel off, re-wet my face and hands; six drops on one palm, rub palms together and work into whiskers. Wait one minute for it to soak in. You do have to keep track of where you've shaved, because there's no lather to tell you, and you have to use hot water to rinse the razor because the oil will stick to the razor and blade with cold or warm water. If your face starts to get dry just splash on a little more water. I just do one pass WTG and go over some of the trouble spots a second time. My shave is not particularly close but it looks fine all day.

When you're finished...don't do anything. A splash of cold water if you feel like it. Blot face dry, and THE REMAINING OIL IS ITS OWN AFTER-SHAVE BALM! I love that.

Clean-up consists of...washing my hands. I wash and dry the razor and blade. I do find that I have to wash off the blade--just grip the edge between thumb and forefinger and pull outward. That gets any residue.

Still experimenting with razors and blades; the oil seems to have different requirements than shaving with lather. This morning I used the Gillette Tech with a German Wilkinson Sword blade. That worked fine. On the first two shaves I used alum to check for irritation but didn't feel a thing.

Shaving of any kind has always been rough on me. I would put it off for two or three or sometimes even more days because I knew I'd pay for it with a roughed-up, sore face that would feel tight and dry for half the day. I would alternate between carts and an electric because neither ever felt good. Never liked shaving, or the shaves I got.

This is painless and pleasant, I can do it every day, I still look clean-shaven by evening, and for once I'm getting zero damage and zero irritation. Quite the contrary in fact, my face feels fantastic.

I'm still willing to experiment, but for now I can't see giving this up.

Just wondering if this method has any other fans out there.

MtB

Last edited:
I use Shave Secret as well as my own mixture once in a while. It's great for travel.

The secret (no pun intended) is to spend a couple of minutes massaging it completely into your stubble. And always keep it wet with water. No need to add more oil, just keep the face wet with water.

The downside is it makes a bit of a mess in the sink and on the razor which requires some time to clean up.

If you're interested in making your own (much less expensive) I've made some previous posts with my shave oil recipe, a search for keyword oil with my user name should find it.

I've used it the past, but mainly as a pre-shave. I would go on to use a soap or cream on top of it. And because of how it causes the stubble to clump up underneath the edge of the blade, I wouldn't use the stuff with a disposable cartridge like a Mach or a Fusion.

I use it as a pre-shave sometimes on my neck to keep moisture because my neck is the most prone to irritation. I have used it alone in the past, but as was mentioned, it builds up on the blade and needs to be wiped free during the shave. For me this means the only time I would use it alone is when I use a TTO razor so I can clean it quickly. But yes it does work.

it builds up on the blade and needs to be wiped free during the shave
I haven't gotten enough experience yet to speak to this, but I've used it with three razors so far and I've found that that differs with the razor. I think it might depend on how open the razor architecture is and how easily water can get into it to flush it out. My Tech seems to work pretty well, but the Game Changer got a bit clogged up. I was just looking at a fancy razor the other day that has a sort of open lattice on the plate...that would probably clear very well. I can't quite remember what it was, though. I might have the page still open; I'll go look.

MtB

P.S. It was the Carbon Cx 316L. I would guess that the water would get into that and clear out any clumps of hair and oil very well. Of course I've never tried it.

Attachments

• carbon.jpg
    carbon.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 20
I've used it for traveling and when camping. It works all right. The key thing is make sure you have prepped for the shave with warm water and soap before using the oil. Oil doesn't really soften your beard by itself. Also, you don't need very much oil, just a few drops. You are actually shaving with water and oil mixed together.

This is really an ancient shaving technique, long ago in history some people used olive oil and water.

I use it occasionally to mix things up or when I'm traveling somewhere. It works very well for me with a Gillette Guard, which is probably the easiest-rising razor I've ever used. It does tend to clog up multiblade carts, though, and it was tricky to rinse off my Tech even though I don't have a particularly heavy beard and shave every day.

I'm a newbie, don't know anything. Need to preface this with that. Also, zero connection to any manufacturer or retailer or anyone or anything in the shaving-products space. I have a light, silky beard (although it's mostly gray now) and sensitive, irritable, easily damaged skin on my face.

So I was at Wal-Mart the other day looking for some Nivea Balm and I happened to see Shave Secret on the shelf for like $4-5. I thought, oh, yeah, a few people talked about oil as a pre-shave. So I bought it.

Tried it the first day as a pre-shave, with lather on top of it. Not experienced enough to notice much, especially because I keep changing too many variables (can't help myself). Then I looked at some reviews and discovered, to my surprise, several in which the reviewer was shaving with JUST the oil. Read the instructions, and that's what the manufacturer suggests. So I thought, okay, that's weird, but I'll try it.

So I think I'm on my fourth day with just the oil and man, do I like it. Yes, it's true, the experience of shaving isn't as much fun DURING THE SHAVE. But it makes my face feel great THE WHOLE REST OF THE DAY! I feel like I couldn't cut myself if I wanted to, I get zero blood or redness or irritation, and my face feels just great all day long. Kinda like exercise or meditation...it's not all that fun to do, but it makes you feel better every OTHER hour of the day.

It's super easy. Get out of the shower, towel off, re-wet my face and hands; six drops on one palm, rub palms together and work into whiskers. Wait one minute for it to soak in. You do have to keep track of where you've shaved, because there's no lather to tell you, and you have to use hot water to rinse the razor because the oil will stick to the razor and blade with cold or warm water. If your face starts to get dry just splash on a little more water. I just do one pass WTG and go over some of the trouble spots a second time. My shave is not particularly close but it looks fine all day.

When you're finished...don't do anything. A splash of cold water if you feel like it. Blot face dry, and THE REMAINING OIL IS ITS OWN AFTER-SHAVE BALM! I love that.

Clean-up consists of...washing my hands. I wash and dry the razor and blade. I do find that I have to wash off the blade--just grip the edge between thumb and forefinger and pull outward. That gets any residue.

Still experimenting with razors and blades; the oil seems to have different requirements than shaving with lather. This morning I used the Gillette Tech with a German Wilkinson Sword blade. That worked fine. On the first two shaves I used alum to check for irritation but didn't feel a thing.

Shaving of any kind has always been rough on me. I would put it off for two or three or sometimes even more days because I knew I'd pay for it with a roughed-up, sore face that would feel tight and dry for half the day. I would alternate between carts and an electric because neither ever felt good. Never liked shaving, or the shaves I got.

This is painless and pleasant, I can do it every day, I still look clean-shaven by evening, and for once I'm getting zero damage and zero irritation. Quite the contrary in fact, my face feels fantastic.

MtB
I totally agree. I'd note that the approach clogs multi blade razors but works well for DE shaving when I'm traveling and trying to pack light (I take my aluminum Henson razor and some Shave Secret). At home though, I prefer a more leisurely and indulgent experience: Grooming Dept pre-shave, a good shave cream or soap (don't have a favorite-yet), a Blackbird TI razor with either Wizamet or Rapira platinum luxe blades. Follow up with Alum, Art of Shaving balm, a nice cologne, and a hot Latte!

I have been using Shave Servet on and off for a while and it has always worked fine for me. Recently I ordered Shave Secret Deluxe to try and compare with the regular. What I have noticed after using it a few times: it works at least as well as the regular—no irritation, softens the skin etc. And it smells much less menthol and cloves. Is it worth almost twice the price of the regular? Maybe not, but if I have to choose I might pick the Deluxe. Also buying it in 8x is less expensive per bottle.

I'm very well satisfied with my oil shaves. I vacillate between the Tech and the Masamune, and I haven't settled on a blade I really like yet, but I think the Save Secret is for me. So easy and quick, and it makes my face feel good all day. Never been happier with any way of shaving before, and I'm in my mid-60s.

I haven't tried the Deluxe oil. I just use the regular stuff from Wal-Mart or Wegman's.

—MtB

Sure! If it works well for you, then why not?

(My own preference is to face lather soaps, but that‘s me. During travel I use a shave stick.)

I have the same impressions of shaving with oil as @Mike the Beginner. (i use "Tabac rasieroil") The shaving process is not as pleasant as soap/cream+brush (okay, let's call a spade a spade - not pleasant at all) BUT the skin tolerates the shaving procedure perfectly, simply excellent! Any aftershaves are not required (unless it suits your mood). This method works with my vintage DE Gillette Slim Twist. For straight razor shaving, I preferred to stay with the classic combo: shaving brush+ tallow croap/soap+ASB or AS splash. PS I was prompted to experiment with oil by some paranoia about the chemical components of soap and cream. I decided to minimize the negative effects on my facial skin. I have a thick, coarse beard combined with very delicate and irritable skin.

MtB
About a month ago I switched from using just a gel to shave to using just shaving oil to shave. I use Foster a Lake unscented shaving oil, unscented (green label). I get pleasant, smooth, close shaves.

I am a daily shaver. I use vintage SE’s. Now all I use to shave is:

1. Vintage SE
2. PAL CS blade or GEM PTFE SS blade
3. Shaving Oil (unscented)
4. Alum Block
5. Beard Oil (unscented) after the shave

Using oil is a little more messy. For me, not a big issue. I have always used a little spray bottle of alcohol to clean my razor and my blade. Works very well to keep both clean and dry.

Simple. Easy routine. I look forward to my morning shaves.

S

Scrubby

So…. Question for the experienced oil shavers. As a straight razor shaver I quickly stopped shaving oil experiments, as i got really slippery hands from the “working the oil in the whiskers” part. How do you handle that? Washing off the oil is not so easy/quick.

So…. Question for the experienced oil shavers. As a straight razor shaver I quickly stopped shaving oil experiments, as i got really slippery hands from the “working the oil in the whiskers” part. How do you handle that? Washing off the oil is not so easy/quick.

Left hand: oil
Right hand: razor (I'm right-handed)

S

Scrubby

Ambidextrous myself, so i switch hands. Unfortunately your solution does not work for me 🙁

Top Bottom