What's new

Bread -

A Zojirushi BB-CEC20 has been my kitchen companion for over 14 years now. Usually a simple "Italian Olive Oil" loaf every two weeks for me. Occasionally a Rusian "Kulich" (this recipe is not really a Paska, more like brioche). If you don't have time or the ability to work the countertop, these machines make an excellent 2 lbs. product reliably with little attention in prep and clean up!

Reactions: Avi
Yesterday's pan du jour was one of my favorites: When I have the time to mill and sift wheat berries, I like to feed my starter with the left over whole grain, then use the whole-grain starter in a loaf of white. It gives the white loaf a really good depth of flavor and texture but it's not a whole wheat loaf. The "wheaty-ness" has been exhausted by the starter over a couple of days before I use it next. The toast is amazing.

crust.jpg
crumb.jpg

Given that this thread originally began as thinly veiled homage to butter, I was wondering what other's used to keep theirs? I was turned on to a butter crock a year or two ago and have loved it. Butter as it was meant to be IMO; not ice cold out of the fridge. The concept being water in one side, butter in the other; the water acts as an air-tight seal to keep the butter fresh at room temperature.

Found mine at a local shop, but I've seen it and many like it on Amazon and elsewhere.

butterOpen.jpg
butterClosed.jpg

Have to throw in a bread shot, because ... well ... bread!

cuzBread.jpg

Given that this thread originally began as thinly veiled homage to butter, I was wondering what other's used to keep theirs? I was turned on to a butter crock a year or two ago and have loved it. Butter as it was meant to be IMO; not ice cold out of the fridge. The concept being water in one side, butter in the other; the water acts as an air-tight seal to keep the butter fresh at room temperature.

Thanks for posting this - I did not know this existed. About a year or two ago we started keeping our salted butter at room temperature in our house in a standard covered butter dish. We do not have central AC but we do have a cold house and its been okay like this. (I have heard its pretty common in Europe to keep butter at room temperature). That said COVID-19 baking bread hobbies mean we go through Costco packs of Kerrygold at a reasonable clip ;)

Dave's Killer is a good brand. Ezekiel is great if you're into sprouted grain. But if I want just plain old bread, which is rare, nothing beats a good sourdough loaf, for me. A couple good quality fried eggs, salt, pepper, maybe a little hot sauce or mustard, a little cheese between a couple pieces of sourdough, toasted or not. Who is gonna argue with that? Scrumptious pre or post workout meal.

Found mine at a local shop, but I've seen it and many like it on Amazon and elsewhere.

View attachment 1196288View attachment 1196289

Have to throw in a bread shot, because ... well ... bread!

View attachment 1196291
Do you bake the battard in an oval cast iron? I only have the round and have been baking in that...

Do you bake the battard in an oval cast iron? I only have the round and have been baking in that...

I actually use a spun iron cloche; thinner than cast. Handles batard and boule just fine. I used to use an inverted cast iron dutch oven over a cast iron skillet before that, trying to make the base as shallow as possible.

The cloche has been perfect. Highly recommend. I got mine from the Breadtopia website. Tho they haven't had it in stock forever. The maker is Netherton Foundry, UK: Spun Iron Baking Cloche, a cooking bell & 12inch (31cm) baking tray - https://www.netherton-foundry.co.uk/cooking-baking-dome-and-tray

If I'm doing two loaves together, these days I'll use a cast iron or even carbon steel skillet with a stainless mixing bowl for the lid.

cloche.jpg

I actually use a spun iron cloche; thinner than cast. Handles batard and boule just fine. I used to use an inverted cast iron dutch oven over a cast iron skillet before that, trying to make the base as shallow as possible.

The cloche has been perfect. Highly recommend. I got mine from the Breadtopia website. Tho they haven't had it in stock forever. The maker is Netherton Foundry, UK: Spun Iron Baking Cloche, a cooking bell & 12inch (31cm) baking tray - https://www.netherton-foundry.co.uk/cooking-baking-dome-and-tray

If I'm doing two loaves together, these days I'll use a cast iron or even carbon steel skillet with a stainless mixing bowl for the lid.

View attachment 1202746
That looks very interesting. I might have to look into that. Do you preheat that like cast iron? And if not, what are your cooking times for a 500 gram flour loaf?

That looks very interesting. I might have to look into that. Do you preheat that like cast iron? And if not, what are your cooking times for a 500 gram flour loaf?

Definitely preheat. I do 400 gram flour loaves (~900 gram total weight), ~450 degree F for 35 min under the lid with convection fan running. Uncover, drop to 400 F, turn off convection fan, continue until desired color. In my oven ~10 min.

Definitely preheat. I do 400 gram flour loaves (~900 gram total weight), ~450 degree F for 35 min under the lid with convection fan running. Uncover, drop to 400 F, turn off convection fan, continue until desired color. In my oven ~10 min.
Thank you! I have a crappy oven and the fan is always on... It is whirlpool, but one of the cheaper older models.

Top Bottom