What's new

Bread -

Well I might try getting a rye culture going then. Have to locate some rye flour. Hopefully someone in the area has some red mill stuff since King Arthur has been out of it for ages.

I just picked up a dried starter that originated in southern Germany and it is supposed to be rye based.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
The rye starter's been sitting in the fridge a while, so it just got rejuvenated. I use Rogers Dark Rye flour. The culture is one I captured in the wild here just after we moved in (2004). Our white sourdough is one Mrs. Hippie has kept going since she was a girl in Manitoba.

My usual rye loaf is a batter bread with 100 per cent rye including the sourdough starter. A little oil, a little sugar, a little salt and that's it. I bake it slow -- 250F for 2 1/2 hours. Caraway seeds because of course there are.

Man, I struggled with this bread at first. I wanted to do a hard hot fast bake and it just wasn't making it. Then one day I remembered that my usual fruitcake recipe calls for the 250/2.50 and that was the ticket.

Heavy, dense, filling, great toast with peach-orange marmalade on it. I'm taking a bit of a dive into sourdough lately. Some new texts will be arriving soon and that will give me lots to consider.

A sourdough prosciutto ring is rising slowly at the moment; tomorrow it will be bread. I may remember to take a picture and post it!

OK, full disclosure. It's not prosciutto. Usually when I make it I use pancetta because I have cured my own for years. However, Mrs. Hippie now reacts to cured meats. We tried a reputable brand of vegetarian bacon but it has soy which also makes her react. The last of the veggie bacon is in this loaf. Paid for it; may as well eat it. I can make another ring with some basic fresh pork sausage (pork, salt, sage) and she'll be able to eat that. This is mainly converting a yeast recipe to sourdough to see if I can.

I used to work with a guy who'd been a professional baker in a store bakery. He told a story about his rye bread -- once a week he'd make two kinds of rye. He'd stir up a big batch of the dough, split it in half, and add caramel colouring to one half. That was the "dark rye" and people would come in special to buy it. "So much better than that wimpy light rye!" they'd say.

O.H.

Well I might try getting a rye culture going then. Have to locate some rye flour. Hopefully someone in the area has some red mill stuff since King Arthur has been out of it for ages.

I just picked up a dried starter that originated in southern Germany and it is supposed to be rye based.
I usually use Arrowhead or Bob’s Red Mill for rye. When I bought the Kamut I noticed that they also sold rye and buying a bag of each helped reduce the shipping cost (at least on a per pound basis). I haven’t noticed much difference between any of those 3. I have never seen King Arthur rye flour, but I really like their white bread flour and whole wheat bread flour.

Do you have a WinCo in your area? They sell rye flour in bulk.

I usually use Arrowhead or Bob’s Red Mill for rye. When I bought the Kamut I noticed that they also sold rye and buying a bag of each helped reduce the shipping cost (at least on a per pound basis). I haven’t noticed much difference between any of those 3. I have never seen King Arthur rye flour, but I really like their white bread flour and whole wheat bread flour.
yeah I looked all over today and found arrowhead in stock at one place so I'll take a stab with it. I can find the KA rye online but it isn't coming direct from them. All the sellers are 2nd hand retailers and I don't trust those places. You never know what you are going to end up with. Might be flour from 5 years ago.
Do you have a WinCo in your area? They sell rye flour in bulk.
no none here. they are a west of the Mississippi thing.

I have been making all of our bread for the last 19 months or so, mostly two different white sandwich bread recipes.
A week ago I tried my hand at multigrain bread, and it turned out amazing. I started with a six-grain Muesli, covered it in boiling water, than stirred in the yeast and brown sugar once the temp came down to about 99 F. Added bread flour and fine sea salt gradually, then some unsalted butter, then kneaded it by hand until it was smooth and elastic.
Absolutely delicious.
20220603_204302.jpg

Attachments

• 20220607_231905.jpg
    20220607_231905.jpg
    986.6 KB · Views: 3
It's been too long since I baked up these rolls, but this was a perfect weekend. Lots of wursten in one form or another!

View attachment 1482776

50% whole wheat; 50% bread flour
Usually I’m the bread man for family dinners. Today I’m potato salad man. 🙂 My sister told me my great nephew likes Amish potato salad. Never heard of it. I always make Mom’s recipe, because I never tasted any better. My sister sent me a recipe, and I made it. Much, much wetter than Mom’s. Might need bread to sop up the plate. 😄

I used to make ll my bread, but as I've gotten older, I'm more impatiernt. I ave 2 ovens, a breadmaker, several matal loaf pans, several glass pans and a pizza stone. I've even made bread on my BBQ/Smoker.
Dave's is good bread, but I can only finish abot 1/2 loaf before it gets moldy.
I've just been getting the $1 loaf of sliced Italian bread. I'll freeze 1/2 loaf and leave the rest out. It often gets moldy before I can finish it ff. It is OK for toast (Dave's is better) but it's perfect for PB sandwiches. My Dad always made his sandwiches with butter. While living in Bavaria, I developed a preference for unsalted.
Years ago while babysitting a buddy's 4 year old, she wanted a peanutbutter & mayo sandwich. Eventually I tried it and have been hooked on it ever since. She grew up and for her wedding present I boxed up a loaf of bread, jar of Peanutbutter, a jar of mayonnaise, and neatly typed up the story of the precocious 4 year old who wanted the PB & Mayo sandwich.

I like Dave's Killer bread, too. One word of warning @Toothpick The bread has no preservatives so mold can develop on it. If I open it and don't use it frequently I put it in the refrigerator to preserve it.
I have a large freezer in the garage, buy the two-loaf Dave's Killer bread at Costco, and put it in the freezer. Tastes fresh for toast or a sandwich.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I like bread. I like toast with REAL butter. I’ll say that again....REAL butter. It’s the only butter I eat. But anyway...bread...

Nothing beats warm homemade bread with REAL BUTTER.. ok, this isn’t about butter. It’s about bread.

Bread for sandwiches, bread for toast and eggs in the morning, bread for PB&J. BTW, I like my PB&J with REAL BUTTER on it.

I found a really good bread the other day at the supermarket -

Dave’s Killer Bread

I got the Thin Sliced Good Seed. It was rather expensive at about $5 per loaf. But dang if it isn’t good! Just so much more flavor than the plain ole White Bread of my youth. Ya know the kind, the Wonder Breads, Healthy Life, Bimbo, Sara Lee, or any of the familiar generic store brands. Bleh! BLEH! BLLEEEEHHHH!!!!! I just can’t stomach that stuff anymore.

This will be the bread I buy going forward. Or any other non-top 5 Billboard chart breads. There’s just something about GOOD BREAD that does it for me.

And REAL BUTTER!!

So what ya got? Ya’ll eat any good bread lately?
I agree that Dave's is excellent bread. I haven't been eating much bread lately because of a medical condition - my pants are too tight.

We're doing our annual trip to Maine in a couple of weeks and we always stop at When Pigs Fly bread store on the way home. That is some great bread!

100% on the butter. That other yellow colored stuff is disgusting.

Top Bottom