What's new

Bread -

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Nice! What model is that?

I make sourdough, too, from a culture I keep active here at the house. So far in Covid months we have had 35 or so pizzas with sourdough crust, some sourdough cinnamon rolls, homemade sourdough doughnuts, and at least a loaf of bread a week since March (sometimes two).

I'm all over a toaster that can handle the larger, less uniform slices from a handmade bread loaf.
Ive upped my bread production during lockdown as well. The toaster is by Oster, purchased at WalMart. Large thick slices no problem. I got tired of cutting the bread up to fit a conventional toaster.

Nice bread guys. I've been trying to make sourdough every weekend as well. The flavor only gets better towards 4 or 5 days so I eat it throughout the week. A nice thick slice and a piece of cheese is a perfect lunch

20200805_091640.jpg

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Finally got proper linen lined bannetons. I usually do a bulk proof overnight in the fridge, bring to room temp in the morning, devide into 2 loaves, proof in baskets and bake. I tried proofing it longer at night, deviding, shaping and into floured bannetons to proof in fridge overnight. In the morn they go straight into oven. I like that I only have to bake in the morning and they came out no problem. Bread turned out ok, timing might have been off slightly. I’ll dial it in eventually. Killer crust, although not a fan of the rice flour I used. Does wheat flour dusted into bannetons cause sticking problems when cold proofing overnight? Say 10-12 hours. Any thoughts?
056E6EAB-F12B-461A-B3F3-9432ABFDAD57.jpeg
CC24AC6D-315D-48D5-9934-2AE178DAB5E3.jpeg

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Finally got proper linen lined bannetons. I usually do a bulk proof overnight in the fridge, bring to room temp in the morning, devide into 2 loaves, proof in baskets and bake. I tried proofing it longer at night, deviding, shaping and into floured bannetons to proof in fridge overnight. In the morn they go straight into oven. I like that I only have to bake in the morning and they came out no problem. Bread turned out ok, timing might have been off slightly. I’ll dial it in eventually. Killer crust, although not a fan of the rice flour I used. Does wheat flour dusted into bannetons cause sticking problems when cold proofing overnight? Say 10-12 hours. Any thoughts?
View attachment 1137523View attachment 1137524
Oh my.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Those look good!

I bench rest, shape, rest, shape and drop in the banneton and then into the fridge for 10-12 hrs. I don't use the liners, just the banneton. Brush the rice flour off when I pop the loaf out to score and then drop into the Dutch oven. Wheat flour will stick!

Very nice, bet the flavor was incredible with a bulk proof in the fridge.

Wheat flour will most definitely stick and ruin your day. In my experience anyways

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Thanks for the feedback on the wheat flour sticking. I will try just the bannetons without liners on the weekend bake, but now I’m curious and want to do a mid week bake to test results. You can never have enough bread IMO.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I've fallen out of the sourdough biz; my starter slumbers in the fridge. Anyways.

Yeast is still not for sale anywhere I shop ... but baking powder works, and there's no shortage of store-bought.

Butter choice is in flux. I've left the "land," Breakstones has no real taste, Kerrygold is foreign-made ...

AA

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Thanks for the feedback on the wheat flour sticking. I will try just the bannetons without liners on the weekend bake, but now I’m curious and want to do a mid week bake to test results. You can never have enough bread IMO.

Mist the banneton with water. Get in all the grooves. Not soaked, just damp. Shake your rice flour (or finely ground rice) all around to build up a 'skin' and let it dry. No more sticking! Each bake after that, just shake a little rice flour in there and roll it around. You can even re-use the excess rice flour.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I've fallen out of the sourdough biz; my starter slumbers in the fridge. Anyways.

Yeast is still not for sale anywhere I shop ... but baking powder works, and there's no shortage of store-bought.

Butter choice is in flux. I've left the "land," Breakstones has no real taste, Kerrygold is foreign-made ...

AA

Make your own butter. It's not that hard and you can tune it to your taste.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Mist the banneton with water. Get in all the grooves. Not soaked, just damp. Shake your rice flour (or finely ground rice) all around to build up a 'skin' and let it dry. No more sticking! Each bake after that, just shake a little rice flour in there and roll it around. You can even re-use the excess rice flour.
Great tip, I’m in thanks. Never would have guessed I’d get the best bread baking tips on a shaving enthusiast site. Some really awesome content on B&B.

Top Bottom