What's new

Bread -

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I like bread. I like toast with REAL butter. I’ll say that again....REAL butter. It’s the only butter I eat. But anyway...bread...

Nothing beats warm homemade bread with REAL BUTTER.. ok, this isn’t about butter. It’s about bread.

Bread for sandwiches, bread for toast and eggs in the morning, bread for PB&J. BTW, I like my PB&J with REAL BUTTER on it.

I found a really good bread the other day at the supermarket -

Dave’s Killer Bread

I got the Thin Sliced Good Seed. It was rather expensive at about $5 per loaf. But dang if it isn’t good! Just so much more flavor than the plain ole White Bread of my youth. Ya know the kind, the Wonder Breads, Healthy Life, Bimbo, Sara Lee, or any of the familiar generic store brands. Bleh! BLEH! BLLEEEEHHHH!!!!! I just can’t stomach that stuff anymore.

This will be the bread I buy going forward. Or any other non-top 5 Billboard chart breads. There’s just something about GOOD BREAD that does it for me.

And REAL BUTTER!!

So what ya got? Ya’ll eat any good bread lately?

Not sure how much bread you go through, but I beleive Dave's is quite a bit cheaper than $5 a loaf in a two pack at Costco. I could be wrong though. It's great stuff.

I like artisan bread....the kind of bread you used to buy at a bakery. That bread had a crust on it and was only packaged in a paper bag so the crust didn't get soggy. Good Italian or sourdough are my favorites. Difficult to find that kind of bread in my area. Aldi's has a pretty good sourdough and it's reasonably priced. Got a good crust, especially for a loaf packaged in a plastic bag. What's happened to bread and a lot of other baked products, is that the fibre was removed to improve the shelf life. When I was a kid in the 50's, the bread delivery guy would go into the store every day or two and take all the bread that was left off the shelves, replacing it with fresh bread. Why? Because it would dry out and also grow mold. That was real bread. Now, they can leave bread on the shelves for a week.

In this era of COVID-19, we make bread about twice a week / both in the oven and sandwich bread. If you like fresh bread I can not say enough good things about this:

This makes a 1 lb loaf (so small) which is why we make this about twice a week. This model has a lot of flexibility - so customizable and with specific approaches for bread yeast and active dry yeast (so fast rise / regular rise) and built in approaches, for white /whole wheat / European / etc etc [ as well as dough, jam, cake etc ] . The European is borderline decadent - so a bit like having a warm / slight chewy / crispy baguette / come out of the oven in the shape of a small loaf.

In practice our favorite part of this - you can set it with timers (so do it in the evening and get fresh bread in the morning) - and even then it takes not much more than 10 minutes to set up (liquid ingredients + solid ingredients (i weigh it out) + go, so super convenient (so we use this conveniently w/out the idea of making bread being a chore)

Now to your specific question - given the decadence of the European loaf (which is reserved for wine and cheese). Our daily bread is a weird hybrid. I take the whole wheat recipe (red mill's flour) but substitute this with about 200 grams of sour dough starter (using all purpose flour) from the fridge. Once you get used to this - no sour dough starter goes to waste - because you use 100 grams for the next starter and 200 grams for the hybrid whole wheat. [ So to be clear I just take the starter out of the fridge wait for an hour or so and then make a new starter and put the rest in the bread machine ].

As you point out - this + kerrygold salted butter (or Icelandic) is a version of heaven. We have also taken to leaving butter out of the fridge like the europeans do - we had a bit of hesitation around this as its not quite so common in the US but w/ fresh bread one goes through butter a bit faster :)

Avi

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Haven’t really considered getting a dedicated bread maker. But it’s a possibility. We just toss it in the oven.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
We like sourdough. I make a sandwich loaf most every week now. Yes, primarily as a butter platform. Got a little brown on top yesterday but still tastes great.
B6238390-FDE9-45D5-BB8D-704B6B074846.jpeg

I like Dave's Killer bread, too. One word of warning @Toothpick The bread has no preservatives so mold can develop on it. If I open it and don't use it frequently I put it in the refrigerator to preserve it.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Haven’t really considered getting a dedicated bread maker. But it’s a possibility. We just toss it in the oven.

Nah. Don't bother. They can do a good job, but you're better off with your hands, a loaf pan, a bowl or two, your oven, and whatever other accoutrement you care to pick up now and then. I had one and used it a lot for a long time, but I'm happy that I moved away from it.

Our grocery store has a great bakery, so we get some bread from them. They have a "seven grain" bread, an asiago cheese bread, and a couple others that we pick up from time to time. They are great and only around $3. They have great tortillas, too.

Other than that, I bake just about all the rest of our bread. My favorites are pita, rye bread, and these rolls that I've been making a lot lately.

20200711_161457.jpg

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Nah. Don't bother. They can do a good job, but you're better off with your hands, a loaf pan, a bowl or two, your oven, and whatever other accoutrement you care to pick up now and then. I had one and used it a lot for a long time, but I'm happy that I moved away from it.

Our grocery store has a great bakery, so we get some bread from them. They have a "seven grain" bread, an asiago cheese bread, and a couple others that we pick up from time to time. They are great and only around $3. They have great tortillas, too.

Other than that, I bake just about all the rest of our bread. My favorites are pita, rye bread, and these rolls that I've been making a lot lately.

Tell us more about those rolls. I have extra butter.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Tell us more about those rolls. I have extra butter.

I'll type up the recipe and post it. It's one of those deals where you mess with it a few times for about an hour and a half in the evening, let it rise in the fridge overnight, and then bake it the next day.

My new toaster can accommodate the centre slice of my sourdough boules. A sexy toaster!View attachment 1134578
Nice! What model is that?

I make sourdough, too, from a culture I keep active here at the house. So far in Covid months we have had 35 or so pizzas with sourdough crust, some sourdough cinnamon rolls, homemade sourdough doughnuts, and at least a loaf of bread a week since March (sometimes two).

I'm all over a toaster that can handle the larger, less uniform slices from a handmade bread loaf.

I also like bread. It's not something I can have much of though. Trying to watch my blood sugar levels, lose some weight and keep the cholesterol and blood pressure under control. But I have to agree that there is nothing better than fresh warm homemade bread, maybe a rustic peasant bread with some nice soft real butter spread on it. Yum.

I make some low carb tortillas every blue moon. I've made this one a half dozen times. It's been a while, but I made a batch the other day while in TRE and just had a couple roast beef rolls. They're more like tortillas.

1/2 cup almond flour
2 Tbsp. psyllium seed husks
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 cup warm water

Used walmart great value almond flour and it comes out just fine. Mix in a bowl with a spoon and it's ready to fry. I used coconut oil and butter. Makes 4 - less than 1 net gram carb per tortilla.

Top Bottom