What's new

The Sandwich Southerners Wait for All Year

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Yum...tomato sandwiches. :drool:

By Himanshu Thakur - 18 Jul 23 - Jodyhub

1689925179009.jpeg
"There’s debate about whether the bread needs to be toasted. Most Southerners, like Mary, would say no: That soft texture is central to the traditional tomato-sandwich experience. But Jason Skrobar, a food stylist and author of the coming “The Book of Sandwiches,” calls for toasted sourdough in a variation with sun-dried-tomato mayonnaise, which he calls My Perfect Sandwich. My colleague J. Kenji López-Alt, a Seattle resident, pan-toasts just one side of each slice, which he turns inward so the outsides are still soft, a key feature of the classic. (It should be noted that neither Skrobar nor López-Alt is Southern.)

proxy.php

Alternatively, the briefest stint in a toaster means you can have the best of both worlds: The bread keeps its structure under a juicy tomato while maintaining its pillowy softness inside. To each their own. As long as you have to eat your dripping sandwich over the sink, then you’re in the ballpark.

The hallmark of a good tomato sandwich, for me, is mayonnaise that slathers and pools against the tomato. If you’re from the South, “you either grew up in a Duke’s household or a Hellmann’s household,” Mary says.

To my mind, the whole Duke’s-versus-Hellmann’s debate couldn’t be more boring or irrelevant (though I enjoy riling people up every year). I use mild-tasting Hellmann’s in this particular case, because I like to sprinkle a little furikake over the mayonnaise before sandwiching the tomatoes.

The seaweed in the flavorful rice seasoning amps up the tomato’s savoriness, intensifying the harmony of fruit, carb and condiment. Flavor-forward Duke’s or even Kewpie, delicious though they are, would overpower everything in my perfect tomato sandwich".
proxy.php

Read More: The Sandwich Southerners Wait for All Year - JORDYHUB - https://jordyhub.com/the-sandwich-southerners-wait-for-all-year/?amp=1

proxy.php
"Lunch time is best served in sandwich form". Author unknown

I've already eaten like 20 of them. For me, it's gotta be Sunbeam white bread and Duke's. I got stuck with a bucket of Hellman's recently and it tasted so different from what I've used for 40 years that I actually had to look and make sure it wasn't Miracle Whip.

Every now and again, I'll throw an onion slice on it. I love onions but nobody else in my house does. Gives it a nice crunch and a stronger flavor.

By 1932, the same company owned Best Foods and Hellmann's. Because Hellmann's had such a devoted following, the owners decided to keep both brand names. To this day, west of the Rocky Mountains sells Best Foods Mayonnaise, while east of the Rocky Mountains sells Hellmann's.

View attachment 1689639
Ha! That's awesome!

My comment was intended to be a pseudo-snobbish expression of preference for Duke's, but having lived only east of the Rockies, I was completely unaware of Best Foods. That's really cool.

In actuality, while I prefer Duke's, I'm fine with Hellman's. Growing up in the South you learn to take a strong position on things like mayonnaise brands or whether sugar can be put in cornbread, not because you actually care that much, but because it's entertaining to pretend to care so much about something so trivial.

(Except sugar in cornbread, which is a reliable indicator that someone has objectively terrible taste... and is probably of low moral character on top of that. I wouldn't leave someone like that unsupervised with children.)

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I’m waiting for my tomatoes to ripen so I can make one. Nothing beats a just picked tomato warmed from the sun.
As a kid, we used to pick 'em and eat them right off the vine like an apple.
The neighbors were not as enthusiastic as we were, but we were young.

As a variation, I'm going to say I'm a big BT sandwich fan - that's Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato without the lettuce!

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I have been a southerner, an easterner, a westerner, and a Texan. I pick either my home made mayonnaise or Duke's for all mayonnaise uses, including eating it off the whisk. The two types of mayonnaise taste very similar. For bread, I like home made white, but anything works, fresh or toasted, as long is not too heavy, like whole wheat with molasses and walnuts. I also love the tomato sandwich counterpart, the cucumber sandwich, peeled, sliced and piled cukes on home made white bread with mayonnaise, salt, and pepper, topped with another liberally spread slice.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Yeah, I lived in the South. South Dakota. :)

Makin' it hippie style: Whole wheat sourdough bread, toasted. Years ago, Miracle Whip. Now, some kinda shi-shi mayo from the Natcherl Foodz store made with avocado oil. Thin sliced tomato; paper-thin slices of onion. A little salt and fresh-ground pepper. My slice o' heaven, eh!

Might actually get one this year. We've been experimenting and yellow tomatoes don't cause so many problems as red ones. That would be nice.

O.H.

Top Bottom