What's new

The Sandwich Southerners Wait for All Year

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
1689925179009-jpeg.1689600
Ok...you wanta a little 'variation'...;

Story by Grace Elkus - MSN - Simply Recipes - 23 July 23

1690263345102.png

a) Use a whole grain or multigrain sandwich bread with lots of seeds (I love Rye).

b) Pop your bread in the toaster so it can get going.

c) Sub a smear of herbed cheese...in this case Boursin for mayo.

d) Important Hack: After slicing your tomatoes, sprinkle w/ salt & pepper and let them sit for a couple minutes...then pat dry. This draws out the moisture of the 'maters' and prevents 'sogginess'! :thumbup:

1690263577076.png

1690263434355.png

1690263962148.png

Works Cited: The One Minute Tomato Sandwich

1690264799482.png
"Enjoy every tomato sandwich because a great sandwich is like life…the more you add, the better it becomes”. Author Unknown

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
We were fairly poor when I was growing up. I remember, near the end of a pay period, my mother made us radish sandwiches because all we had were radishes from our little patch of garden, such as it was in Cheyenne, Wyoming... on Wonder Bread... but with real butter. My mother always made sure we have real butter not margarine. She grew up on a small ranch and they always had fresh milk, cream and butter. It was a thing for her. To this day.... I love butter in all its forms. ;)

Oh yes the venerable tomato sandwich. Humble but yet so divine. Homemade mayo made with avocado oil and eggs from our own ladies on nice fresh homemade sourdough bread made by the LOTH. Nice big juicy homegrown Purple Cherokee tomato slices with some salt and pepper and nice slices of monterrey jack cheese. Indeed it is great!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Yum...tomato sandwiches. :drool:

By Himanshu Thakur - 18 Jul 23 - Jodyhub

View attachment 1689600"There’s debate about whether the bread needs to be toasted. Most Southerners, like Mary, would say no: That soft texture is central to the traditional tomato-sandwich experience. But Jason Skrobar, a food stylist and author of the coming “The Book of Sandwiches,” calls for toasted sourdough in a variation with sun-dried-tomato mayonnaise, which he calls My Perfect Sandwich. My colleague J. Kenji López-Alt, a Seattle resident, pan-toasts just one side of each slice, which he turns inward so the outsides are still soft, a key feature of the classic. (It should be noted that neither Skrobar nor López-Alt is Southern.)

proxy.php

Alternatively, the briefest stint in a toaster means you can have the best of both worlds: The bread keeps its structure under a juicy tomato while maintaining its pillowy softness inside. To each their own. As long as you have to eat your dripping sandwich over the sink, then you’re in the ballpark.

The hallmark of a good tomato sandwich, for me, is mayonnaise that slathers and pools against the tomato. If you’re from the South, “you either grew up in a Duke’s household or a Hellmann’s household,” Mary says.

To my mind, the whole Duke’s-versus-Hellmann’s debate couldn’t be more boring or irrelevant (though I enjoy riling people up every year). I use mild-tasting Hellmann’s in this particular case, because I like to sprinkle a little furikake over the mayonnaise before sandwiching the tomatoes.

The seaweed in the flavorful rice seasoning amps up the tomato’s savoriness, intensifying the harmony of fruit, carb and condiment. Flavor-forward Duke’s or even Kewpie, delicious though they are, would overpower everything in my perfect tomato sandwich".
proxy.php

Read More: The Sandwich Southerners Wait for All Year - JORDYHUB - https://jordyhub.com/the-sandwich-southerners-wait-for-all-year/?amp=1

proxy.php
"Lunch time is best served in sandwich form". Author unknown
fixed the image for the ozzies among us

The-Sandwich-Southerners-Wait-for-All-Year (2).jpg

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
There are some shenanigans going on in here. For the record there are 3 kinds of mayonnaise allowed.

1) Duke's
2) Kewpie
3) Made yourself

*Miracle Whip is not mayonnaise. Period.

Why would anyone put sugar in mayonnaise? Hellman's I'm speaking to you.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Sara Lee sandwich bread, Kraft mayo, tomato slices, salt and pepper. Bacon and tomato sandwich gets lightly toasted and buttered Sara Lee bread with the Kraft mayo. Decided long ago that lettuce does nothing for a BLT.

Amen brother!
How can I make this beautiful bacon and tomato sandwich worse?
I know! I'll thrown on a soggy piece of tasteless green vegetable paper!
Both of these posts hurt my soul. No lettuce on a BLT... soggy green vegetable... sigh... you two and your "BT" sammiches.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Both of these posts hurt my soul. No lettuce on a BLT... soggy green vegetable... sigh... you two and your "BT" sammiches.
I like many different types of lettuce and other leafed greens, in salads and as side dishes.
I just can't do lettuce on a sandwich. For me it adds nothing and detracts from the deliciousness of bacon and tomato.
Even worse... lettuce on a hamburger. OMG. A hot hamburger turns lettuce into a soggy nasty mess.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I have been a southerner, an easterner, a westerner, and a Texan. I pick either my home made mayonnaise or Duke's for all mayonnaise uses, including eating it off the whisk. The two types of mayonnaise taste very similar. For bread, I like home made white, but anything works, fresh or toasted, as long is not too heavy, like whole wheat with molasses and walnuts. I also love the tomato sandwich counterpart, the cucumber sandwich, peeled, sliced and piled cukes on home made white bread with mayonnaise, salt, and pepper, topped with another liberally spread slice.
I add a little lemon juice to the cukes but other than that pretty much the same here.

I like many different types of lettuce and other leafed greens, in salads and as side dishes.
I just can't do lettuce on a sandwich. For me it adds nothing and detracts from the deliciousness of bacon and tomato.
Even worse... lettuce on a hamburger. OMG. A hot hamburger turns lettuce into a soggy nasty mess.
My thoughts exactly!

Top Bottom