What's new

Bob Dylan Appreciation Thread - Favorite Album/Song/Cover

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
I had no idea Olivia Newton-John recorded If Not for You. I don't care for this version though.

Eric_75

OIP.jpg

I have been listening to Neil Young's memoir Waging Heavy Peace. I am surprised at just how good it is. Neil comes across as a very thoughtful, warm caring guy, which is not his reputation.

But what he says about other artists is interesting. About Dylan he says that we imagine him playing alone on stage with just an acoustic guitar and a harmonica strapped to his neck. And that that is the way we would really like to see him. But in fact he never performs that way any more. Neil thinks that would likely be too lonely for him. I agree with Neil that that is the way I would really want to see Dylan, even though his backup bands are top notch. Neil should know, I assume.

Jackson Browne. A good version methinks. I think JB gets it. This is hardly an unambiguously framed love song. I think the subject of this songs is not someone Dylan necessarily wants to spend his life with. "She doesn't have to say she's faithful, she's true like ice like fire." In other words, not true at all!
"Read books, repeat quotations, draw conclusions by the score." Dylan being biting!

@The Knize

Any thoughts on this, sir?

Wow, I did not know this track at all. Apparently a 1965 regional hit in the LA area. Same year as The Byrds "Mr. Tambourine Man" and The Turtles "It Ain't Me." LA groups were apparently putting out the Dylan covers that year.

Wikipedia refers to The Association as a sunshine pop band. They were big on the charts in my early high school years, and I admit a big soft spot for them. It may be a bit of a guilty pleasure, but I really like this cut. One could argue that it is too upbeat and highly polished for Dylan. And I would dis certain other covers for being that. But I like this one. Very Mamas and Papas sounding vocals in there and The Association always had some nice harmonies. Almost Beach Boys like in that regard. Sounds like something from 1965. You may be surprised, but two thumbs up from me! Thanks for turning me on to it!

Great Dylan song from from a great Dylan album.

Eric_75

Wow, I did not know this track at all. Apparently a 1965 regional hit in the LA area. Same year as The Byrds "Mr. Tambourine Man" and The Turtles "It Ain't Me." LA groups were apparently putting out the Dylan covers that year.

Wikipedia refers to The Association as a sunshine pop band. They were big on the charts in my early high school years, and I admit a big soft spot for them. It may be a bit of a guilty pleasure, but I really like this cut. One could argue that it is too upbeat and highly polished for Dylan. And I would dis certain other covers for being that. But I like this one. Very Mamas and Papas sounding vocals in there and The Association always had some nice harmonies. Almost Beach Boys like in that regard. Sounds like something from 1965. You may be surprised, but two thumbs up from me! Thanks for turning me on to it!

Great Dylan song from from a great Dylan album.
Thanks for your insight. I really enjoy The Association. I was quite pleased to stumble upon this one. :001_smile

Thanks for your insight. I really enjoy The Association. I was quite pleased to stumble upon this one. :001_smile
Probably more indirect insight into me than into the actual music! I was trying to think how I felt about the Association in high school. I guess they got some hippness cred with "Along Comes Mary." I think they seemed pretty commercial to me at the time. But looking back I think they had a lot of talent. I conflate them a bit with Bread, which is probably not fair to either group.

Eric_75

Probably more indirect insight into me than into the actual music! I was trying to think how I felt about the Association in high school. I guess they got some hippness cred with "Along Comes Mary." I think they seemed pretty commercial to me at the time. But looking back I think they had a lot of talent. I conflate them a bit with Bread, which is probably not fair to either group.
Hey, I have a soft spot for Bread. My parents loved them. Old records, ya know...

Hey, I have a soft spot for Bread. My parents loved them. Old records, ya know...
I think I have kind of a soft spot for Bread, too. I think David Gates and Jimmy Griffin, co-lead singers, were both highly talented. Good songs writing, along with Robb Royer, the bass player. Bread seemed a bit overly sweet and too commercial, perhaps. And their songs tended to sound the same in that soft rock genre they inhabited. I had not realized Bread was an LA group, apparently associated to some extent with Leon Russell, which helps their cred with me.

I was thinking Canadian, which probably means I am conflating The Association and Bread with The Guess Who. The GW being rather commercial, too, if less soft. Undoubtedly talented with Burton Cummings and Randy Bachman, of the later BTO. Again, all pretty commercial.

Sorry for the thread drift everyone!

Eric_75

I think I have kind of a soft spot for Bread, too. I think David Gates and Jimmy Griffin, co-lead singers, were both highly talented. Good songs writing, along with Robb Royer, the bass player. Bread seemed a bit overly sweet and too commercial, perhaps. And their songs tended to sound the same in that soft rock genre they inhabited. I had not realized Bread was an LA group, apparently associated to some extent with Leon Russell, which helps their cred with me.

I was thinking Canadian, which probably means I am conflating The Association and Bread with The Guess Who. The GW being rather commercial, too, if less soft. Undoubtedly talented with Burton Cummings and Randy Bachman, of the later BTO. Again, all pretty commercial.

Sorry for the thread drift everyone!
I had the pleasure of meeting Jimmy Griffin here in Nashville before he passed away. This was after he had done his Remingtons thing.

I still love 60s Dylan. "Corrupted" by an older cousin in my early high school years of the 1960's, I still remember playing Dylan, Baez, Ochs, PP&M, Ian & Sylvia, & other folk LPs in my room with the door closed, and hearing my stepdad complain to my mom that, "He's got that f'in Communist music on again". My mom would tell him to just leave me alone. While the best live show I ever remember seeing was Peter, Paul & Mary in '65, I saw Dylan in '66 in Louisville when he did the 1st half solo, ending with Desolation Row. The 2nd half was with the band. Sound systems in the 60s were awful and although I knew the songs, the band drowned Dylan out, leading to the audience chanting "We want Bob Dylan".

Top Bottom