What's new

Your six desert island albums

First 4 I would also take a best of :) but these might be my favs (no order also)

Israel Kamakawiwoʻole - facing the future
The Clash - London Calling
For King and Country - burn the ships
Chaka Demus & Pliers - All She Wrote

60-70s comp
80s comp (just the punk new wave stuff)

At this moment:

The Concert for Bangladesh - various
The Last Waltz - The Band and friends
Other Voices, Other Rooms - Nanci Griffith
Lucinda Williams - Lucinda Williams
6 & 12 String Guitar - Leo Kottke
Bruised Orange - John Prine

I might make completely different choices tomorrow.

Last edited:
This is evil, and unfair to us old geezers. I have many of each, but I'll pick one from each of my favorite genres.

1. Highway 61 Revisited - Dylan
2. Time Out - Dave Brubeck Quartet
3. Rum, Sodomy & The Lash - The Pogues
4. Burnside on Burnside - R.L Burnside
5. Lady Day (4 CD set) - Billie Holiday
6. Glenn Miller "The Golden Years" (4 CD set)

1. Stooges - Funhouse (my all time favourite LP)
2. Black Sabbath - Master of Reality LP
3. Charles Mingus - The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady LP & David Bowie - Low LP (tied)
4. Ramones - Rocket to Russia LP
5. Bob Dylan - New Morning LP
6. Neil Young - Everybody Knows This is Nowhere LP & On the Beach LP (tied)

1. Stooges - Funhouse (my all time favourite LP)
2. Black Sabbath - Master of Reality LP
3. Charles Mingus - The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady LP & David Bowie - Low LP (tied)
4. Ramones - Rocket to Russia LP
5. Bob Dylan - New Morning LP
6. Neil Young - Everybody Knows This is Nowhere LP & On the Beach LP (tied)
Nice list. I like all these records quit a lot with the exception of the Ramones, whose appeal I never understood. One of these things is not like the others, but we'll done!

I like all these records quit a lot with the exception of the Ramones, whose appeal I never understood.

I like many Ramones' songs, but not all my favorites are on one album. I'm not a fan of 70s music, movies or fashion in general. I think of 70s punk as an oasis, surrounded by the "quaalude" rock music of the early 70s, and disco.

In no particular order and may change on a whim ……

Kraftwerk…The Man Machine
The Sex Pistols….Never Mind The Bollocks
Credence Clearwater Revival…Creedence Clearwater Revival
Get Carter ……soundtrack by Roy Budd
Uprising……Bob Marley and the Wailers
Grace Jones…..Nightclubbing

In no particular order and may change on a whim ……

Kraftwerk…The Man Machine
The Sex Pistols….Never Mind The Bollocks
Credence Clearwater Revival…Creedence Clearwater Revival
Get Carter ……soundtrack by Roy Budd
Uprising……Bob Marley and the Wailers
Grace Jones…..Nightclubbing
Nice to see a soundtrack album in there. Before I got into popular music, I was a soundtrack junkie. In fact my first LP purchase was the Planet of the Apes soundtrack (the 1968 movie obviously by Jerry Goldsmith). I could easily make a list of desert island soundtracks, although I'm sure it wouldn't jibe with others' tastes.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
The difference a little time makes...today it might have changed to The Children's Corner and Suite Bergamesque by Debussy, Mozart's 21st and 23rd piano concerti, Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga or Diana Krall Live In Paris (great only if my desert island has good martinis), All Things Must Pass, and Chelsea Girl by Nico, just because I love her version of these days.

Chelsea Girl by Nico, just because I love her version of these days
That is a very hip choice! I think Jackson Brown and Nico actually went out for a while, if you can call what every they were doing going out! Nico was such a tragedy and much underrated.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
She was great with the Velvets. I cannot think of a singer off the top of my head who has taken up quite her singing style, which I thought was excellent and affecting!
I can't either, but the other night I was watching TV, probably something on Britbox, and someone on a soundtrack sounded similar. Plus, damn, I just realized I am not 73. I am 74 and closing in on 75. I guess for my first post on this thread I was having a Jim Ignatowski moment.

The funny thing about most GenX'ers is that we have access to nearly every song in the world via our phone, but we still listen to the same music we did during our senior year of high school.

Nirvana - Nevermind
Alice In Chains - Dirt
Silverchair - Frogstomp
Pearl Jam - Ten
Metallica - The Black Album
Guns & Roses - Appetite for Destruction

Of course when I was growing up my mom would play her music on the Reel to Reel tape player all day. I can sing along to nearly all Elvis, CCR, Johnny Cash etc music from the 70s.

Last edited:
175732B2-052D-4AF2-A6F6-7D4F3D54F400.jpeg

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Today
1. Metallica- Ride The Lightning
2. Led Zeppelin- Mothership (If compilation albums aren’t allowed it’ll be Led Zeppelin IV)
3. Beastie Boys- Licensed to Ill
4. Chris Ledoux- Life of a Rodeo Man
5. Lynard Skynard- Pronounced Leh-Nerd Skin-Nerd
6. Jerry Jeff Walker- Viva Terlingua

Ask me tomorrow and I’ll probably give you 6 different albums.

Top Bottom