What's new

Bob Dylan Appreciation Thread - Favorite Album/Song/Cover

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I really wanted to like Chrissie Hynde's Dylan cover album but she doesn't get the phrasing right. Dylan is a master of getting the timing of his phrasing spot on. I think that is one of many of his strengths. It isn't just the songs themselves, as great as they an be.... because others have tried to make his songs work and sometimes, they just don't.

You know.. just before or just after the beat.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
I really wanted to like Chrissie Hynde's Dylan cover album but she doesn't get the phrasing right. Dylan is a master of getting the timing of his phrasing spot on. I think that is one of many of his strengths. It isn't just the songs themselves, as great as they an be.... because others have tried to make his songs work and sometimes, they just don't.

You know.. just before or just after the beat.
Kim, what do you think about the Grateful Dead's treatment of Dylan's work?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'll give it a listen now. I've never managed to get into The Dead, for some reason. I've only ever had one of their albums: Workingman's Dead

Edit: It's ok..... not horrible. At least, it doesn't sound sterile... that says a lot.

Last edited:

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
I purchased this one when it came out and I do enjoy it now and then.

81JTTqZhMAL._SS500_.jpg

I just can't keep up with this thread. I am in awe of it and so pleased it is here.

Random thoughts. I did not know there was a Maria Muldaur or a Chrissie Hynde Dylan covers album. I really like both of those performers. I am guessing I may agree that the phrasing was not right for MM. Lots of folks do not. The Byrds have nearly always done a good job. I hate to say it in a way, because I do not generally love her and she butchered The Band, but Joan Baez, too. Neil Young's live versions, too. Linda Ronstadt, oddly, not so good.

I really have a bad attitude about Robbie Robertson. I love The Band, and as far as I am concerned he screwed his bandmates over. The whole songwriting credit thing in music seems like scandal to me. The Glimmer Twins are jerks, too. Sure they wrote "Time Waits for No One."

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I like Maria Muldaur's Heart of Mine a lot... The Chrissie Hynde cover album? not enough to buy the CD.

I'm listening to Tell Tale Signs all the way through.... over 3 hours of great tunes, mostly. Streaming on Amazon Prime. I ordered the two CD set... the box set with 3 CDs was just too pricey for me, though that last CD does have a few really nice tunes on it.

a Maria Muldaur or a Chrissie Hynde Dylan covers album
Just listened to some of both. At first blush not loving either. MM gets that jug band feeling right on some things, which fits with Dylan's folk background. She started with Jim Kweskin, as I recall.

Chrissie seems sort of okay. I do not know if I Shall Be Released in on there, but her version live has always seemed to me okay, but a little overwrought. No one has nailed it as Richard Manual did, to my ear. Odd song selections on these albums it seems to me. The deeper this thread gets into Dylan, the more it is revealed to me how much I like his earlier stuff over his later stuff.

And, yes, the Byrds did a whole lot of Dylan. This seems like an underappreciated Dylan tune to me. Reminds me of The Dead's Attics of My Life. "I have spent my life seeking that's left unsung . . . " (Hard to believe that Robert Hunter is gone. A natural heir to Dylan as to lyrics.)

Top Bottom