What's new

Blade Wars: Kai vs. Gillette Silver Blue

Shave 10
Face lathered with P 160
silver=right, black=left

Pass 1 - The silver blade was smooth, but it had a little trouble cutting through the whiskers on my chin. The black was smooth, but had a small amount of even drag throughout.

Pass 2 - Both blades were smooth. The black razor seemed to glide a little more effortlessly.

Pass 3 - Black had a tiny, tiny bit less resistance.

Slight advantage: black

Followed with dollar-store Old Spice. I little more sting on the right side of my neck than elsewhere.

With as close as this one is, the fact that the GSB is going toe to toe with a blade that costs far more makes it a winner in my book. That's like a vette taking it to a ferrari. Well, almost. Sorta.

With as close as this one is, the fact that the GSB is going toe to toe with a blade that costs far more makes it a winner in my book. That's like a vette taking it to a ferrari. Well, almost. Sorta.

I'll trade you the winner of the blade war for the loser of the sports car challenge.

I'll trade you the winner of the blade war for the loser of the sports car challenge.
:lol:
:thumbup1: Keep up the good work (war) CW.
proxy.php

Shave 11
I received three new shaving products in the mail today and tried them all: Proraso red pre-shave cream and after-shave lotion, and a kilo of Cella.
Black=right, Silver=left

The first pass with black was great. Soap/pre-shave combo was slick and comfortable. Black glided right along. Silver had more drag and trouble cutting the grey wires growing on my chin.

The black was also smoother and sharper feeling on the second pass. I'm just about ready to call this one - I'll give it one more go tomorrow.

Advantage: black

The Proraso red aftershave is great. If you like Proraso red's clean, pure sandalwood scent, I recommend it. The pre-shave cream, which may or may not do anything, has the same great smell.

I forgot to talk about the Cella. Ooh my, it's great. Very soft. Easy to lather, great smell, feels great after the shave. I get more cherry and less almond than I do from P160, and the lather seems a little richer. I still like the P160, though.

I just read this from start to Finnish in one pass and the suspense is killing me. Thank you for your detailed unbiased review.

I'm waiting with bated breath for the announcement that.... GSB is the winner! I've never tried a Kai, and I'm sure from them coming practically neck-in-neck for 11 shaves that I'd probably like them, but at 3x the price per 100 compared to GSB? No thanks, I've found my daily driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shave 12
silver=right, black=right
Face lathered with Cella

On the first pass the silver glided a little more smoothly and felt a little bit sharper than the black. On the second
pass, the silver was a tiny, tiny bit smoother.

Advantage: silver

I'm getting some neck irritation, so it's time to call this one.

After 12 rounds, this blade war is a DRAW.

Black won more rounds, but silver won the 12th, and that has to count for something. You may consider GSB the winner because of its lower cost, or KAI the winner because it stood toe-to-toe with one of the most loved blades on this forum. I know I found another blade that is my handful of favorite blades I've ever tried. I also discovered a fantastic soap along the way.

Wow, how about that?

I did call GSB as being smoother back on page 2, which is why I thought it was black.

Thank you cw6208, and great work GSB!

I'm currently testing these two blades, and to me GSB is smoother I believe, but the KAI has an interesting more "blade-like" feel on face my which I think I prefer. After 3 KAI shaves all week, I'll be going back to GSB tomorrow for a direct comparison.

Thank's, again.

Holy Moly! That was one heck of a blade mano to mano. Kai is my go to, but I might have to rethink who is my back up blade. Polsilver SI or GSB's? Hmmm....

Thanks for yet another excellent Blade War @cw62803 ! This was a good one, and given the price difference between the two, says a lot about the quality of the less expensive Russian blade.

Great battle. Not fond of draws generally but if thats how you felt about the blades, thats how it is.

Top Bottom