What's new

Blade Wars: Kai vs. Gillette Silver Blue

I'm pulling GSB real hard, but I've never tried Kai before, so I may be biased. GSBs were the first blade I really loved, especially in my EJ 89.

Shave 6
I used a synthetic brush to build a cartoonish Arko lather on my face.

I did a quick two-pass shave. No significant difference between the two blades. Both were great.

A splash of dollar-store Old Spice and I'm off.

Shave 7
Face lathered with Tabac
black=right, silver=left

A two-pass shave today. On the first pass, the black razor was smooth, but it didn't feel like it was fully cutting my whiskers. It kind of felt like it was gliding over them without cutting in spots. The silver cut right through and felt sharp. I felt my face when rinsing between passes, and the left (silver) side was smoother.

Both razors provided a good second pass, but again the silver razor felt a little sharper. After the second pass, both sides of my face seemed to be shaved equally well.

Advantage: silver

Followed with some Florida Water.

strop

Now half as wise
I was about ready to order some more GSB, but have never used Kai. Maybe I'll wait until the battle is over to decide!

How many more shaves are we looking at? Is there a spoiler page where we can see what blade is what color?
I don't know which blade is in which razor. At the end of these blade wars, I'm often surprised. I don't have a specific number of shaves in mind - I'll keep going until one blade clearly wins or my face starts getting irritated. Right now, both blades are still giving me great shaves, so I wouldn't be surprised if this one lasted more than 10 rounds.

Really like both these blades and I think the GSB will stay smooth longer and become a clear winner in the latter rounds.
There's also a 50% chance of me eating my words.
Keep up the good work @cw62803

Shave 8
Face lathered with AOS Sandalwood cream
silver=right, black=left

A two-pass shave this morning. Both razors had some pull during the first pass - the silver pulling slightly more than the black. The second pass was wonderfully smooth with both razors. As I feel my face after the shave the right (silver) side may be shaved ever-so-slightly closer. Add it all up:

Tie

Shave 9
black=right, silver=left
Face lathered with Proraso Red soap

Pass 1 - Black was very smooth. Silver had a little more bite, but it felt good. Today's first pass was much more pleasant than yesterday's. I attribute the difference to using a soap as opposed to a cream. As blades lose their initial sharpness, I think a slicker lather helps them out a great deal.

Pass 2 - Both razors were smooth. The silver blade provided a little more feedback than the black.

Followed with a liberal splash of P&G Old Spice. It stung on the right (black) side of my neck more than it did elsewhere.

Another tie.

proxy.php

Top Bottom